What are 550s going for | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What are 550s going for

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Fcarhappy, Jan 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have an x pipe and have a capristo remote along with capristo valved mufflerz and it sounds better then srock
    But to really get the sound it has in it you would need to switch to 6 into one headers vs the stock 6into 2 headers
    This 6into 1 header arramgemnt has been used recently in the
    599 GTO and the F12 the sound difference is remarkable truly the way they sould
    Sound

2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    That sounds about right and the op should consder that these cars are nearly 20 years old and in looking you will see a great variance in qualty
    Of cars the right colors and options and low milage will bring considerable more than some best is to shop i bought when cars were around 80k but the best were around 100 the one i bought had everything i wamted and then some and i paid over 100 k

NE550 likes this.
  3. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I bought mine because it was blue... :)

RKZ841, G. Pepper, tres55 and 5 others like this.
  4. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yup, seems about right for recent/current market.

Indeed, there is a wide variation in quality, maintenance and presentation on these cars, regardless of apparent mileage. Hence the wide delta in prices. It's almost shocking how poorly some 550s were maintained by previous owners. But we all know people who, regardless of financial wherewithal and for whatever reason, just don't take good care of their stuff, so maybe not so surprising.

In my own case, my co-owner and I looked into six different 550s last year, only two of which we considered actually purchasing. The other four cars, upon closer questioning and/or actual inspection, had one or more "deal breaker" issues. Two or three of them I suspected the odometer may have been rolled back based on issues the car had that it should not have had given the advertised mileage (odometer roll-back is nothing new in the used car world, and I suspect it's more common with Ferraris and other exotics than we might want to believe, given how important a factor "low mileage" is to the value of these cars).

Suffice to say, one must do his homework, look for as compressive and complete maintenance records as possible for a given car, and have a proper PPI done by a shop who knows these cars. As with any auto purchase, but especially with exotics, "buyer beware."

LARRYH likes this.
  5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, there are quite a few very wealthy, spoilt young playboy types who don't care about looking after their cars, or other possessions, because they are too lazy and if it breaks they can just buy another. And, sadly, for a lot of them the car of choice is a Ferrari.

6. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
  7. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Actually, the last manual 575 sold for $357,000 all in and only had about 4000 miles. As per results from Sotheby's 2018.

8. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Thats all irrelevant bc the one at mecum isn't a manual, its an F1 car that was converted by an Fchat member. I will be curious what it sells for, the ad from Mecum doesn't even state its a conversion which is sneaky on their part but more than that imagine if this guy pays $350k+ and then is told its a conversion.....could get ugly. The dashboard was changed too along with the steering wheel if you look at the thread on the car when it was sold. Dont get me wrong the car looks AWESOME, the luggage looks amazing as well. If it fetched even $200k I would be running to my tech and paying the $30k or so conversion costs immediately and posting it at the next Mecum sale.

9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Par for the course with auctioneers. They are all a bunch of crooks. Caveat Emptor!

10. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Hey if this thing gets anything decent im all onboard converting my 575. Im definitely interested in doing so and selling mine if this gets anything with a 2 infront of it haha. Hell we may even corner the market on 575 F1 conversions. This is literally the first conversion car ive ever seen for sale, im very intrigued by the final price.

11. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
  12. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    No I know the one you're talking about, Im talking about the one being mentioned above up for sale at Mecum in a few days, this one

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LA0218-327653/2002-ferrari-575-maranello/

it is the 575 in this thread

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/2002-f575m-maranello-f1-exceptional.509822/

The guy who bought it even says he's changing the carpets, adding a roll bar, and luggage. He never mentioned wanting to convert the F1 to manual though. The car looks amazing, will definitely be interested in seeing its selling price as its the first 575 conversion I've seen for sale. I just think its not right that Mecum isn't mentioning its a conversion bc clearly the car isn't original but then again maybe mecum doesn't know. Im just not so sure what would happen is say the owner pays $350-400k and then finds out its a conversion later. Would he have the right to sue? I just think that is a pretty big thing as F1 cars are in the $100-130k range and manual cars in the $350-400k range.

13. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    It's not much of a secret that this car was originally an F1 as per a quick google search. I think most buyers are cognizant of the mods done on this car and the value of original vs altered classic Ferraris. It's a beautiful example never the less.

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Dave, can you share the suspect issues you spotted which made you suspect the odometer had been rolled back? It would be great to contribute to the pool of knowledge on this nasty practice. From my side, I always check paperwork first, with chronology of reports, tests, etc; if there's any significant gap I try and contact previous owners (easier with Google) or walk away; much of the rest is just gut feel from seat and pedal wear, steering wheel shine, state of the engine compartment and interior, etc. But I'd be interested in knowing any other suggestions. While the paperwork test is a solid one, even if you have a car serviced every year with documented mileage, someone unscrupulous could wind back the miles between services.

15. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #65 NE550, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Certainly. And I should emphasize up front that I had/have no proof of odometer rollback on any of these cars. I only suspected that this could be the case given the actual physical condition of the car relative to its advertised mileage.

I actually examined in person and drove three of the six cars we looked into. On one of these its odometer was showing in the low 20Ks. Interior trim around the driver side window was scuffed and hanging from the headliner. Seat bolsters and drive side carpets were badly worn, excessively so IMO for a 20K car. Other interior finishes were chipping or showing excessive wear and windshield seemed excessively pitted. Paint actually was okay, although did not have a gauge to test thickness. I drove the car and multiple warning/caution lights were ON...suspension light I recall was lit, and there were several others on but I don't remember specifically which ones. I thought this was odd for a car that ostensibly had been maintained and came with "complete" maintenance records (in actuality it did not). The last nail in the coffin for this one: when I got on the throttle hard in second gear during my test drive the HVAC control unit came flying back out of the dash. The salesman who was riding along with me acted like it was no big deal. Naturally, I passed on this one.

On another car which I did not see in person or drive, but which I had a PPI done, it was advertised with mileage in the teens. The PPI report mentioned significantly worn interior finishes on several surfaces and the suspension warning light was lit. A suspension light, as we know, is not necessarily unusual for these cars, but we also know what it could indicate. In this case the Italian car repair shop owner who did the PPI (and who was reputed to be an experienced Ferrari mechanic) said that when he drove it the dampers didn't feel "normal" for a 550 and may have been in need of a rebuild. The big thing on this car was that he surmised it had been repainted. He said he noticed that the paint appeared to be "far nicer" than factory Ferrari paint, and a digital paint gauge confirmed the paint thickness on the car was 2-3 times that for normal Ferrari factory paint thickness. Further close inspection found several faint runs in the paint on a lower portion of the body. He said he couldn't find evidence of the car being hit or badly damaged, but couldn't rule out maybe a quarter panel being replaced from a minor fender bender or something, and the car being repainted to ensure a good paint match, or maybe a PO just wasn't satisfied with the factory paint. In any case, after bringing up these and other concerns with the seller and getting inadequate responses, I passed on this car, too.

With both of these cars the Carfaxes at least showed mileage "plausibility" and at least some maintenance records were present on both cars. But the actual physical condition of each car, in my mind, somewhat belied what the paperwork (and odometer) was saying. Then again, perhaps they just led a hard life for the mileage they appeared to show.

16. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Interesting findings on cars with so-called "low mileage." You would think that a car with such low mileage should not have the type of wear depicted in those mentioned above. There is a possibility that there was abuse by previous owners but in cars with mileage in the teens and twenties, not bloody likely.

17. Redrrari

Redrrari Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Florida
    Back to the OP. Can anyone share a recent purchase price or sale price on a 550?

18. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    There was a 550 on eBay and the auction ended with the high bid at 64k. I don't think it made reserve, but the car was withdrawn.

19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It will at least provide a benchmark for F1 to manual conversions that can be applied as a percentage to 360/430's and perhaps 599/612's.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say 175K-200K with all the tastefully done work.

20. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Its today G. I know having spoken with someone who has done the conversion before that $30k give or take is the price tag. I also know Mecum charges 5% if you go no reserve or 10% if you do a reserve + $1000 non refundable. So in my case I paid $104k + $30,000 and Id be in for $134,000 and if that one today got $200k Id be ecstatic bc thats $200k - $11k in mecum fees thats $189k. If that really goes through at that level Im sending mine to be converted monday morning. Im very intrigued by what happens today bc this is the first one I've seen for sale like this. Still wondering if Mecum will mention it today when it comes on the block, the listing doesn't state it being a conversion still

Im also still wondering if any of you have any clue who did the custom luggage for that car bc it looks amazing and id love to get it done.

G. Pepper likes this.
  21. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Like I said, it's a guess. :)

22. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    my guys is that it goes for around 135k then....

23. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    its like 10-12 cars away i think its #105 and theyre on #92 right now im watching it live on youtube. Im gonna guess $165k if they say its a conversion and $275k if they dont. Bonus a Chiron is up in 5 cars......