What do you think of this Porsche? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What do you think of this Porsche?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by allanlambo, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I thought I saw that at Barrett-jackson. This car is however in this months issue of the Dupont Registry. I forget what page the ad is on, but it is near the middle of the book will check when I get home. They didn't list an asking price in the ad. I agree though that pictures don't do this car justice. I saw it next to a cav gt40 at Barrett-jackson and was very impressed. It is however a LITTLE over the top.
    Erik

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Was one of my favourite cars in the 80's as well. I had a neighbour with one (Countach, too). I would drive one now if it weren't for the side strakes. And the signature colour. It would be great in black.

BTW, in 1991 one of my good friends was heading down 1-95 from Boca Raton to Miami late at night in a 911 Carrera 4 (well modified). My other friend was a passenger. FWIW, my friend in the driver's seat grew up a car racing family and later became a driver in a Spanish touring car championship series. A Gemballa convertible came up behind him and he gunned it. The two raced from Copans blvd. down to around MacAthur dairy road. The top was up in the Gemballa and it had dark tinted windows but when it was behind my friend, he says he swore it was Vanilla Ice. When the reached Miami and stopped racing, the passenger rolled down the window to say something and my two friends could clearly see VI in the drivers seat.

Anyway, that's my Gemballa/Vanilla Ice story.

BTW, I am sure that the Gemballa was faster than the C4.

3. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Very, very Miami Vice. I hate it. I hate Gembella and all their tacky add-ons too.

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    plz explain how the 911 (which I love, but have to be realistic about its horrid aerodynamics) can achieve 200 mph with 450 hp, while a zo6 wiht 400 barely breaks 175?

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Labcars.....

Thanks for the heads up !! Must have missed that during one of my trips to the wine rack as I watched "almost" the entire auction.

It's always a tough call when a heavily modified car comes up for sale or trade........for example I sold a 98.5 % perfect (I'm serious) 1988 930 "factory slantnose" coupe 3 years ago for $48K USD thru the DuPont Registry......and that was all the money IMHO for the car. That's my the benchmark as far as I am concerned for the last little while in my marketplace.

I'd never pay $35K+ more for a Gemballa car. Oh well......there's an *ss for every seat in this business.

6. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Allan,

This is sooooo you. Why don't you sell your 355 and buy this car.

7. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    What do you think about it, Allan???

8. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Gemballas are excellent, in my book....about as Miami Vice as a stock white TR. They, I understand, are quality conversions that aren't just plastic body-kit 'bling'......these cars have performance to match the styling. Vanilla Ice's car was originally cobalt blue from the DuPont Registry article - I had that issue in college.

9. fj0

fj0 Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mario B
  10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I think i liked it in the 80's, just as i liked white TR's, but wouldnt own neither today.

I do however like the orange 930 that was posted as a link at the bottom.

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I think i know who you are talking about. Father had the Gemballa, bought his son a Countach. I think they lived in Estancia. Kid drove the Countach to school. Raced a girl in Mustang automatic and she beat him. Guy couldnt drive for ****.

12. mjguflaw

mjguflaw Rookie

Jan 16, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There is no way any car with 450 hp and that wing on it can do 200 mph. It might as well be dragging a boat anchor. That car is absolutely hideous, however that RUF yelllowbird in the famous Nurburgring video is another story altogether. That car was awesome.

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

That's right. Gino and his Dad. They did live in Estancia. He went to Pope John Paul II high school. I was a good bit younger but his Dad used to show me the Countach from time to time. I was like 11 or 12.

Dude, you have a good memory.

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Yup thats them. I think his dad may still have the Porsche. I know when i was there 3 years ago he did. The Countach was an older 83-84 model.

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I remember when his dad got the porsche he was showing me and was all excited but I was so disappointed. I loved the Countach. It's my favourite car of all time.

I believe he has it still. My parents moved out of Estancia West 9 years ago (Woodfield Country Club now) so I don't see the old man anymore but I am pretty sure that I was there a couple of years ago and I saw him filling it up at a gas station - with the engine still on.

You didn't live in Boca Raton did you?

BTW, the Countach was an 86, I believe.

And I was there last year for Thanksgiving and I saw Piero and Giacamo from 007 driving home in a black slantnose coupe. They did the alarm on my first car. I used to get them so much business that they even wired up some extra speakers in there for free. Great guys.

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

The Countach was definately not an 86, it was an early car, not a 4 valve. I remember it well also, because i was so jealous of a kid getting a Countach, which of course was my favorite car. I remember seeing him cruising around in it with the windows down, and music blasting. There was a doctor in Boca who had a tan Countach, another red 4 valve, and a guy in Woodfield who had a red Jalpa.

I used to live in Boca.

Oh and i know Piero and Giacomo pretty well. Piero had a Fiat Dino, and Giacomo a Maserati Biturbo.

17. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Well, you would know better than I as you are a little older and at the time, I was too young to know the difference between the 4v and 2v. I did see the tan Countach around (wierd colour). I used to see it pulling out of Boca West. I do remember seeing the red Jalpa once.

Where did you live in Boca? Did you go to high school there?

I lived there from when I was 10 until I went to college, and even then I would still spend half the summers in Boca until I went to grad school. Then I got my own place.

18. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I went to Spanish River. Lived in Boca Grove. The Doctor that drove the tan Countach was tiny, like 5ft tall.

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

My sister graduated from Spanish River. I went to Saint Andrews.

Boca Grove? Did you know Michael Janoura at all? He is a long time friend of mine. We grew up in Trinidad and Tobago and then Boca.

20. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Porscherossa?

21. RacerNika

RacerNika Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    All I know is that the birght yellow GT3 in my driveway is an amazing car - I've LOVED driving it! It is a real driver - snakey when the roads are wet - just a dream

As guilty as I feel for being such a Ferrari girl - the GT3 is a dream

sorry - please forgive me

Nika