What Gas and Oil are you high-enders using? | FerrariChat

What Gas and Oil are you high-enders using?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Stearman22, Nov 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stearman22

Stearman22 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey D. Campbell
    #1 Stearman22, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    1. What gas do you use & why? Do you use any additives?
    2. What engine oil do you use & why? Any additives?
    3. If you have an F1, what tranny fluid?

I use 91 oct. from Arco or Chevron, GTX, Redline and no additives yet!
    PS. Straight H2o in the washer bottle (comes from owning older cars).

Thanks,
    Poor-boy

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #2 Spasso, Nov 16, 2008
    I use:
    Chevron Premium (consistent quality) with fuel system cleaner/drier semi-anually (because there are always contaminates), Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer in the fall (fewer miles driven in the winter).

Redline 5w40 motor oil (Racers swear by) with ZDDPlus additive (Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate)---- Because modern oil doesn't have enough in it anymore due to EPA regs and it is a MUST for my engine.

NOTE: Redline has a full compliment of ZDD in it so the additives aren't really required.

Redline 75w90 NS in the transaxle. (Because the transmission has never shifted better, cold or hot)

I use distilled/bottled water (and ethylene glycol) for the cooling system and distilled/bottled water in the windshield washer bottle. (Fewer impurities to scale in the engine or clog the washer system)

3. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I am with Spasso on Reddline but with the exception of Chevron.

All fuels are the same and if you don't think so let me tell you that Chevron sells tons of gas to Exxon/Mobil and vice versa!

They all sell to each other.

Marketing is quite powerful

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #4 Spasso, Nov 16, 2008
    As long as it's not gas from 7-11 or Arco...................................half the additives and cleaners of the better gasolines
    I run Union 76 and Shell too but by habit I go to Chevron

5. coverland

coverland Formula 3

Apr 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Well, it depends. Shell actually gets their gas from Chevron from what I've read, but then throws additives for the V-Power, which is what I stick to for the most part. Almost every Chevron pump now has "up to 10% ethanol." So I don't really mess with it.

As for oil, I like AMSOIL, and Redline.

-Colin

6. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Redline MTL [GL-4 because I have yellow metals in the transaxle]. Used M1, now I am trying Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-40-European Formula. No additives.

Ciao,
    George

7. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    I forgot to mention that I have a memo from Shell stating that they do not use ethanol in the georgia gas. I went to a shell station and guess what....10% ethanol at the pump. I stick with Chevon.
    Ciao,
    George

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    In my neck of the woods most every station has been running 10% ethanol every winter since 1995 at least. I haven't really noticed any issues with it in any of my cars.

9. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Same here in Phoenix Area. Don't know of anyone who has had problems.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jeff- The F1 fluid has nothing to do with the transaxle fluid. F1 fluid is 1 liter of Fiat Tutela CS Speed, whatever that is. (Will get from Ricambi if I ever need any.) Luckily there is no change interval on the F1 fluid, but the transaxle fluid should be changed every other year on late model cars like your 355. No need to worry about the F1 fluid unless you have a leak and the level is checked annually to make sure there is no leak.

I use the recommended Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 synthetic oil, but will change to the alternate 0W-40 oil next year because it causes less wear on cold start ups. Unfortunately both cost around $22/ liter, but they do come with these neat prancing horses on the containers. I use Valvoline synthetic 75W-90 transaxle oil because it also works much better with a cold transaxle than petroleum based gear oils.

I agree on Chevron. Their additive package cleans fuel injectors very well, regardless of who shares their gasoline.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. Stearman22

Stearman22 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    Dana Point, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey D. Campbell
    I use ARCO and add a small amount of the Chevron additive from Kragan, or Chevron gas.
    I have never put it to the test but it might be interesting to take a few loaded up old valves or piston heads and soak one in ARCO, and one in Chevron over night to see if there is any difference. Maybe dispel a rumor or two!

Poor-boy

12. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    Chevron Premium usually, or sometimes 76 premium with a few gallons of 100 octane.
    Various Redline oils, and the difference is evident with smoother shifting.

13. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Way back in the '80s early fuel injected cars started having issues with intake valve deposits causing hard starting, cold drivability, etc. BMW developed a test for gasoline which simulated 50,000 and 100,000 miles of use. After the test they weighed the intake valves and recorded the amount of deposits. Only a few brands of gas were good enough to pass the 100K test, Chevron was one of them. Techron, whatever it is, works. Both as a preventative and as a cure.

In 1995 the EPA established minimum detergent standards for gas and several retailers actually reduced their detergent amounts to this level. BMW, GM, Toyota, Honda, VW, Audi got together and established a higher minimum level of detergent performance now referred to as "Top Tier"

Those retailers that sell gasoline meeting the "Top Tier" standard are:

QuikTrip
    Chevron
    Texaco
    MFA Oil Co.
    Conoco
    Phillips 66
    Entec Stations
    Shell
    The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
    Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
    Aloha Petroleum
    Tri-Par Oil Co.
    Turkey Hill Minit Markets
    Mileage Stations
    Chevron Canada
    Shell Canada
    Petro-Canada
    Sunoco Canada

See http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

14. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There are two oil refineries in Hawaii, Chevron and Tesoro, and all gas originates from them whatever the brand. I buy gas from a membership-only discount operation and add Techron annually to the Ferrari. I use Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 motor oil and Mobil 1 75W-90 in the transaxle.

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Great info, thank you.

16. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Chevron gasoline in all my vehicles except for my beater Comanche, which gets whichever gas station is cheapest.

17. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens

It's the same thing as AGIP CHF which is the same thing as Mobil 1 full synthetic power steering fluid. Volvo uses AGIP CHF for their automatic transmissions and power steering...

18. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Good work, Tazz! I never knew!! Guess no more patronizing 7-11, or Racetrack........for ANY of my cars.....

19. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Straight H2O (tap) should never be used in ANY car part, except for rinsing after a wash of exterior, (followed by the chamois, etc). Good way to clog a motor/tight tubing passages, etc.....

20. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Just wish to add a point on the distilled/botled water, distilled is of course, perfectly fine, but watch out for just any "bottled " water, as not all is the same purity, and you dont want junk added to coolant mixture. "Bottled" could include "spring water", "drinking water", etc, which is NOT good either. In addition to distilled, you can also use a label that says Deionized. Just a tid bit. (I could not contribute anything to the gasoline issue, so I figured Id do the water......)

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #21 Spasso, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    I agree with the caution on plain old "bottled" water. It's usually nothing more than filtrated tap water.

My primary water source is a well so that is out of the question for the cooling system. Even when washing cars I run the rinse water through a "whole house" charcoal filter to help eliminate spots from the sodium deposits..

I forgot to add that I use 50% 20/10 washer soap for the windshield. It seems to be the only stuff that doesn't smear. It rains a lot here!

22. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    #22 pippo, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
    Hey Han Solo, all this talk about water is making me reaaaaal thirsty....just finished a meal of just pizza....LOL

Seriously....I know there is more to Ferraris than talk of water, but , maybe Im wrong, but Im edjukatid guessing charcoal does not remove sodium. Maybe youre talking about CALCIUM deposits, not sodium, as Calcium is usually the contaminant with the highest concentration in most ground water. Charcoal will, though, remove chlorine, which really is not a problem with washing cars, (and not present in wells, only tap), and also sediment, and organic residues. The worst culprits in water are, in order: Calcium, Magnesium, , then in much lower levels, Iron, sodium, and in wells, sulfur (the stink you smell from lawn sprinkler systems.)

I like to rinse my car with rain water, as it is QUITE pure, believe it or not.......kinda tricky though, to watch the weather forecast and quickly run out to wash the car...LOL

23. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    My bad.............Calcium, little white rings of it if you let the droplets dry.

24. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    Gas: what ever is convienent other than "discount stations"
    Additive: BG 44k
    Oil: Royal Purple

25. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Top Tier gasoline
    Castrol TWS Motorsport
    Redline 75W90NS

Geez, I haven't used 44K for years! :D Worked great on my Fiat Brava! Sold a LOT of that stuff...