What happened here? | FerrariChat

What happened here?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ferrari, Jan 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. udalmia

udalmia Guest

all i can say is - OUCH

2. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Judging by the "not a scratch on them" leathers he's wearing and the pitiful riding I just watched, I'm going to assume that this is his first track outing.

There are a few key components in this. If you watch the beginning of the video, the first few seconds really, you'll notice how darkly colored the left edge (about an inch and a half wide) of the riders rear tire is. On Laguna's track surface, this means he hasn't touched that side of the tire yet which inplies that it's probably still virgin rubber ... if he's not leaning that far on the track, I highly doubt he's doing it on the street.

The second component is the sand, though given how quickly the lapping rider went through the same corner, I doubt this has a lot to do with it, if anything at all, since while the tire is spinning there is no sand being thrown up ... but it should be mentioned since it is present.

Motorcycle tires have such a soft compound, they are shipped with a special sealant on the outside to prevent them from drying out while they sit on a shelf waiting to be sold. The thickness and makup of this sealant differs by manufacturer and needs to be "Scrubbed off" gently before the tire can be hammered on. If the rider had never previously ridden on that portion of his tire, it can be very very slippery, regardless of the tire's temperature or rubber compound.

Bill in Brooklyn
    Been Riding for 7 years
    22 - 25K miles per year
    Had: '97 VFR750
    Have: '98 Valkyrie Tourer (gift for dad really)
    Had: '00 CBR929 (A)
    Had: '00 CBR929 (B)
    Had: '01 CBR929 (C)
    Had: '02 BMW K1200LT-C (A)
    Have: '03 BMW K1200LT-C (B)