What happened to the suppposed 25 versions of the 512S produced ? | Page 44 | FerrariChat

What happened to the suppposed 25 versions of the 512S produced ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Kds, Jan 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
    Sorry, yes I was refering to post #1059. Are you sure about the mirror painted red for the race. The pictures of the damaged car in post #1058 show the silver mirror.

2. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Le Mans 1970 #8 (s/n1034) Mirror Mystery!
    Only explanation would be that Qualifying was done with a different mirror than the race version.
    Would this be a pic of qualifying? It looks very much like the race.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

What about the famous picture of the 1970 Le Mans line up of 512 S? Is this during qualifying?
    [​IMG]

streetst, franmort, quailgun and 2 others like this.
  3. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    This picture of #8 (s/n1034) shortly after arrival at 1970 Le Mans shows the car with very few sponsor stickers.
    Only the Shell stickers on the very front part, under the headlights are there. Even the yellow Carello stickers aren't yet on the car.
    However, the car has the painted top mirror already.

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Some pix were taken during scrutineering, then in qualifying, then others in the actual race and then perhaps even some during the McQueen Le Mans movie.

Marcel Massini

franmort likes this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    franmort and AtSomePoint like this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    1034 at Le Mans 1970 prior to the departure. NON-red roof mirror housing.
    On the far left is Ferrari engineer Giacomo Caliri talking to Clay Regazzoni and Arturo Merzario (both drivers of 1034).

Marcel Massini

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    colombo2cam and AtSomePoint like this.
  8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    1034 (#8) at LM 1970: In the second photo it appears that the blue and white Borg & Beck sponsoring stickers on the front fenders above the Shell stickers have fallen off......

Marcel Massini

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #1084 Nembo1777, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
    I think that in the post I quote here the top photo is the real race and the second photo is during movie filming many weeks after the race: Solar had fake rain scenario capability. Look at the sky it does not seem a rainy day...and there are just not enough people in photo 2 (yes public not allowed there but marshalls, Gendarmes etc compare with photo 1.

That gives an excuse to watch the movie again to verify but I would forget about the mirrors and stickers and just enjoy it yet again:)!

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Page 136 of Glen Smale's book about the Ferrari 512 S/M, published 2016 by Haynes in the UK (also titled Owners' Workshop Manual) has a full page color photograph of several 512 S lined up during the Steve McQueen Le Mans movie filming. The car in front is wearing #8 and a 512 S long tail Berlinetta and the roof mirror housing is red. That car in the movie does not have the Borg & Beck stickers on the fenders but it does have Shell stickers on the rear lid above the race number 8 on the side. Something the car in the actual race did not have. The color photo is by LAT England.
    The same Le Mans movie color photo can be found in the French edition of this Glen Smale book, on page 130. That edition is titled Ferrari 512 S/M Anatomie & Développement, by publisher Editions du Palmier.

Marcel Massini

LVP488 and Nembo1777 like this.
  11. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    #1086 Dino2010, May 4, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2020
    Now the 512 S (Le Mans) mirror matter is cleared, let's have another look at the World Speed Record at Bonneville Salt Flats, Wendover, UT in September 1974.
    Chinetti Jr. went with a NART crew to the spot, and had drivers such as Paul Newman, Graham Hill and Milt Minter have a shot at the record. They had a 512 M and a 365 GTB/4 at their disposal. Apart from the pictures I posted before (post #1071), some more photos from those days at Bonneville.

From left to right: Paul Newman, Graham Hill, Luigi (Coco) Chinetti Jr.

Paul Newman ready for his attempt in the 512 M.

Paul Newman giving a hand to Graham Hill in the NART 365 GTB/4

One of the speed record attempts with the 512 M.

Graham Hill waiting for his attempt in the NART 365 GTB/4 (slightly off-topic)

Part from interview with Chinetti Jr. (article from Richard Heseltine) in Motorsportmagazine.com:

“Anyway, my hero growing up was the record breaker Ab Jenkins and, over a few drinks back in early 1974, a group of us came up with the idea of going to Bonneville. We had the cars just sitting in the shop. We went to our sponsors and told them it would cost about $30,000 and we’d return the money if we didn’t set any records. No pressure! We then started looking for drivers. There was Milt Minter and me and then we thought, ‘How about Paul Newman and Graham Hill?’ We went to NBC but they didn’t think we’d get Newman, but he was just great and it was through him that we got the CBS TV deal.

“Of course, we got out there and it was big! We had a 10-mile oval course on the salt and the highways department put up stakes so you had at least some idea of where you were going. They also dragged the course to eliminate as best they could the bumps, holes and cracks in the salt. It was like driving on gravel. I went out there in the 512M and the left rear tyre blew: it took out a chunk of bodywork. I was going flat out — about 220mph — at the time. Our guys managed to patch it together again, though.” The team left Utah having set International Class C records at 10 miles (174.763mph), 500 (171.255mph), 500 miles (166.173mph), and 1000 kilometers (166.445mph).

“We had a blast. I remember us travelling back to base in Wendover, 15 miles away from the salt. The M went on the trailer, and I drove the Daytona on the road. There was a gas tank where the passenger seat would have been and I was driving to the hotel with my then-girlfriend wedged in somehow. The road was as straight as a die and I was going through the gears when in the distance I just about made out the shape of a car — it had a gold shield on the door and a light on the roof. By the time I went past it I was flat out. We got to the hotel and I shouted to the guys, ‘We’ve got problems!’ They took the car into the garage, jacked it up and took off the wheels. They were underneath the Daytona and I was in my room by the time the cop arrived. He was madder than hell!”

Ready for action at Bonneville. (Photo François Sicard Collection)

Left rear tyre exploded and the car was brought to Chinetti's workshop for repair. (Photo François Sicard Collection)
    View attachment 2934925

Attached Files:

streetst, BJK, miurasv and 5 others like this.
  12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    streetst, BJK, franmort and 6 others like this.
  13. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    A series of vintage pictures of Herbert Müller 's 512 M (s/n1044) and a few others, at Norisring, 1971.
    Rare material.
    Photo Karl Munzer

Seen trough the engine cover of Pedro Rodriguez' car, the Müller 512 M. Photo Reinhold Walter

Photo Wolfgang Seibt

Race Sunday! Photo Fred Lewis

Just arrived at Norisring, July 1971, the 512 M (s/n 1018) to be driven by Franz Pesch. No sponsor stickers yet. Photo Karl Munzer.

Engine of Franz Pesch' car. Photo Karl Munzer.

Just a few stickers and N°21 for Franz Pesch. Photo Matthias Wehmeier.

512 M (s/n 2018) besides the McLaren M8E of Georg Loos. Photo Harry Maurer.

BJK, colombo2cam, readplays and 3 others like this.
  14. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    #1089 Dino2010, May 6, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2020
    More Norisring-saga! (Please note that the 512 M Franz Pesch drove was s/n 1018. Typo error in former post.)
    "PAM" was the nickname of Italian driver Pasotti Marsilio. He was an official Abarth driver for a long time. He drove the complete 1971 for the team Scuderia Brescia Corse, of Dr.Belponer, in their 512 M (s/n 1024).
    Photo Reinhold Walter.

A closer look at "PAM"'s cabin. Photo Karl Munzer.

More cockpit details of 512 M (s/n 1024). Photo Reinhold Walter.

Mechanic working on a 512 M. Photo Reinhold Walter.

PAM in action during Saturday training, 10th of July 1971. Note the PAM-sticker on the side of the car. Photo Fred Lewis.

PAM entering the pitlane. Photo Wolfgang Seibt.

Still during Saturday's training session for the 200 miles of Nürnberg,Norisring. Photo Wilfried Kluge.

PAM still in s/n 2024, now at 500 km of Imola, 12th of september 1971.

PAM at the start of the race (hillclimb) Malegno-Borno, 17th of October 1971. Photo Carlo Cirelli.
    [​IMG]

PAM in the 1971 Malegno-Borno hillclimb, he won!

15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You mean 1018 (not 2018).

Marcel Massini

colombo2cam likes this.
  16. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Indeed, was a typo. I noticed just a little too late to edit. So, I mentioned the error in the next post. Thanks.

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    The Norisring-trilogy wouldn't be complete without a chapter about the 512 M s/n 1008, the one Pedro Rodiguez drove (for Herbert Müller Racing Team) at the very race of 11th of July 1971, and in which he lost his life. The exact conditions in which the fatal accident occurred are not known precisely:
    A contemporary source reported that trackside photographers noticed his right front tyre coming away from the rim under heavy braking for the sharp s-bend as early as the 10th lap. On lap 12, the tyre came off completely, sending the car into a wall before rebounding across the track and catching fire. Other sources state that while he was driving for the lead, a slower car driven by Kurt Hild edged him into the wall and his car burst into flames. Poor Rodriguez died shortly after he was extracted from the wreck.

Rodriguez getting ready in s/n 1008, shortly before the race is to start. Photo Harry Maurer.

Checking last controls. Photo Wolfgang Seibt.

Archaic cockpit of s/n 1008. Nothing for claustrophobics. Photo Fred Lewis.

Training on Saturday. Note the removed spark plugs.

Signing some last autographs, shortly before the race is to start.

Racing! Photo Fred Lewis.

The end.
    I prefer not to post pictures, they are too cruel. I rather prefer to think about the passion and the beauty of motor racing,
    I prefer to imagine the incredible joy and excitement Rodriguez must have felt when racing this beast.
    Rodriguez was, like many in those years, extremely unfortunate. But he died loving and living his passion.
    RIP, Pedro!

18. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    readplays likes this.
  19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    As I've mentioned before I don't follow or know much about racing cars, but besides the "mirror mystery", the fonts of #8, both in the front & side, appear to be quite different between these two pictures.

20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I've spoken with many drivers and team members over the years, all of them remember Pedro with reverence and great fondness.

readplays likes this.
  21. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    As has been stated by several members here already, the car(s) had slightly different appearances during the actual race compared to the days when the Le Mans movie was shot. Sponsor stickers were different, probably because of rights about to appear, or not, on the silver screen. Although parts of the movie are from the real race, but in shots where sponsor stickers are not in the image, or not identifiable as such, assumingly.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes and also script errors, unavailability for movie filming of stickers that had been routinely removed after the race etc. I don't think there was extreme rigor exercised for that aspect, McQueen was far more concerned about the scenes being shot at real speed, looking right.

V12addict and 375+ like this.
  23. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    The 1970 Targa Florio was another important race for 512 S.
    Please have a look at this website, I guess not everyone knows it.
    I'll just post a small series of pictures here, but there are hundreds and hundreds of them.
    2 x 512 S participated:
    Nr.6 (s/n 1012) with Vaccarella/Giunti for the official team SpA Ferrari SEFAC, finishing 3rd overall, 1st in class (S 5.0)
    Nr.4 (s/n 1016) with Müller/Parkes for Scuderia Filipinetti, finishing 6th overall, 2nd in class
    There were also a couple of Dino 206 S Spyder competing.
    Beautiful scenary, landscapes, action, massive attention from locals, "pit" mechanics, all so typical for good old Italy & Sicily. Gorgeous.
    http://www.targapedia.com/photogallery_TargaFlorio/1948_1973/1970/TARGA%20FLORIO%201970%20-%20FERRARI/slides/6%20Ferrari%20512%20S%20%20Nino%20Vaccarella%20-%20Ignazio%20Giunti%20(49).html

BJK, colombo2cam, Jimincov and 3 others like this.
  24. p gio

p gio Karting

Jan 30, 2020
    Laguna Beach, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Giorgio
    Mr Lampe wrote in post #184 of this thread that the 2 cars that were at Targa Florio were #1042 and #1012.
    And he wrote "now they have gone through their files quite carefully and found the car in the race was 1042."

25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #184 was posted 13 February 2008, about 12 years ago.

Marcel Massini