What Happened with Dino Values!!! | FerrariChat

What Happened with Dino Values!!!

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Mar 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #1 4CamGT, Mar 23, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    In the past days, something happened to Dino values. It went from somewhat affordable “if you sold everything you had….” (Peter Egan, Dino:Car of the North) to somewhere out of reach. Will the latest BaT results affect future Dino values or was it a one off exception? Did someone overpay or was it a case of buying ahead of a trend? These weren’t rare Dinos. These two Dinos were “normal” US Spec GT and GTS Dinos that were in comparable great condition with good histories, nicely equipped, complete with manuals, toolkits etc. The colors were appealing but not emotionally exceptional (at least to me). Both the GT and GTS reached a similar price with two different buyers on two different days. WTF happened??

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tony57 and LARRYH like this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    #2 375+, Mar 23, 2022
    IMO either the declining value of currency or signs that we are approaching a market top. Perhaps both. Does BaT accurately reflect the market? To me it resembles a Betting App.

Tony57 and Hawkeye like this.
  3. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sure seems like a trend. Maybe it’s time to bump the insurance valuation.

Neelfryer likes this.
  4. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I think the current uptick in Dino sale prices is the result of the confluence of two phenomena: the extreme rise in the price of virtually all commodities, and the attack on fossil fuels generally and ICE vehicles particularly. In times of high inflation, potentially appreciating assets are favored over cash or stocks. With the current push for full electrification of all vehicles, and the compliance of the large automakers, who fear the wrath of the government bureaucracy, the days of the internal combustion engine appear to be limited. Purchase of a Dino, even at these higher prices, may represent not only a good investment decision, but also a satisfying blow for the freedom that may soon be taken away from us. I hope that my pessimism regarding the future of ICE vehicles proves to be overblown, but that is how I see things at present.

JackCongo, Marcel Massini and jag312 like this.
  5. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    When you blow $5T+ into the economy, those dollars have to go somewhere.

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #6 UroTrash, Mar 23, 2022
    Hagerty added fuel to the fire:

https://newsroom.hagerty.com/press/hagerty-announces-2022-u-s-bull-market-list-buy-these-vehicles-before-theyre-hot/

Oh, and, if you watched the auctions, there were several people on each auction bidding vigorously to values very close to the closing price. That would suggest, to me, there is more to it than just “two guys that had to have that car”.

So, I think, looking at these auctions as well as several other recent sales (at least for the time being) the 2 and 3 handle had dropped of the price and we now have 4 and 5 handles.

Neelfryer and Texas Forever like this.
  7. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  9. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    Even a better test to see if it matters to the current big spenders---

10. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    The in-person auctions have posted some high prices. The more traditional way to buy a car has been to scour the internet or magazine advertisements. You then get to see a few pictures, maybe send a local to do an inspection and probably take a trip. With Bat you have an auction site with a significant quantity of pictures and ongoing commentary and questions. Some contributors are here on this chat-room. The more successful sellers target their pictures to document condition, originality and, as much as possible, relieve the anxiety involved with cars that can have a myriad of positives and negatives. I think BaT offers a reasonable setting for both buyers and sellers. If you present a desirable car, give a good representation of the condition, you should get a good result.

As UroTrash said, "there are several people on each auction bidding vigorously". On the last auction there were at least 5 different bidders over $500K.

And, no, I don't think the current offering will fair any where close to the last three or four cars, it isn't in as good a condition, it isn't as well presented.

Just my $0.02...

swift53 and mccand like this.
  11. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Funny, not sure why they did not install wiper blades. Lots of incorrect and buggered items. That said, my guess is this car will be over $500K but not by much and no way more than $550K. It has the selling resprayed color and it’s a Euro spec car— those are pretty strong positives. Another positive is the selling prices of yesterday’s cars— not perfect comps but they are Dinos that sold. We shall see.

Tony57 likes this.
  12. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I believe this car will end shy of $400. Perhaps by a lot.

Neelfryer and dm_n_stuff like this.
  13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    BAT has become the market.

LARRYH, Neelfryer and Texas Forever like this.
  14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    #14 375+, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    Can anyone verify BaT results? No.
    Look at this recent lunacy:
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/illuminated-sign/
    I question whether this was an actual sale. The sign does not look like an original to me.

15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #15 4CamGT, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    If the trend begins to reflect $500K to $600K for a perfectly restored documented and desirable equipped example, I could see it feasible for an example like this to potentially reach at least $400K+ as a good core restoration candidate or “restore as you go” good driver. What this example has going for it, it is a Euro Spec that has been registered in California for a long time. Many Dino enthusiasts prefer a Euro Spec over a US Spec. I have heard that a Euro Spec can be a difficult to register in California unless grandfathered in.

16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    1600veloce is a close friend and one of the bigger sellers on BAT - yes these sales/purchases are real

17. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    If is shy by a lot, I would buy the car. Unless a Dino needs some significant work, I don’t see any of them selling for sub $400K. Of course, I could be wrong

18. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Ok.

Many unkind things could be said about that car, none of which I would want to voice.

Let’s declare.

Pick a single price point.

I declare it will close at $320.

Martyt likes this.
  19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If this keeps up, Dinos will go for more than GTCs. Sumthang ain't right.

20. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Weird in that the last sentence in the 4th paragraph starting from the top of the BaT listing says: “The heater boxes are said to have been rebuilt in 2018.”

But they don't seem to be in the front where they normally are, but you can see the air flow tubes. So, where are they? No heat and no defrost?

21. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    I guess they're referring to the heater core. That's an an odd thing to rebuild, unless it starts to leak. The heater box is on the right hand side of the front trunk, covered by the plastic trim piece. The fans are located farther forward, which could be to what they are referring. I have heard that the people at BaT do a lot of the writing. I guess they sift through the information and then try to present it.

22. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Oh come on guys! Declare a number before the auction goes 4 days!

23. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Okay, having done a deeper dive on the photos, I would say max is $500K (helped by recent “comps”). I am bidding as well but will have PPI done if I get really serious. I am in San Diego (1 hour away from the car) so maybe I can see the car this weekend and report back (and if it looks right then a real inspection)

UroTrash likes this.
  24. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I guess it depends what you’re looking for. Even assuming a clean PPI, It would definitely need a bunch of work to be a successful show car, which would mean paying for shiny and then paying again to redo it. Looks like it would make a perfectly nice driver, though.

UroTrash likes this.
  25. Martyt

Martyt Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2022
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Yes, am thinking driver that could be corrected over time.

UroTrash likes this.