What is this diagnostic tool for a 355? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is this diagnostic tool for a 355?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by chaa, Jun 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I just got back from Texas. In the next day or two I'll figure out what it fits.

2. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #27 finnerty, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    Mike,

They look like the same tool to me --- albeit the connectors are different color / latch style.

Both of yours & the one the OP posted are clearly for 55-pin Bosch ECUs --- I believe that would have to mean somewhere in the Motronic series. Also, possible that they can be used for more than one application (Ferrari, Mercedes, Audi, etc.) so long as it's a Motronic ECU, as all it does is verify pin / circuit signal and integrity --- I do not think they are capable of determining (application / make) specific logic values or unique data information.

Essentially it just provides convenient probe points for a multi-meter to read basic electrical info from the ECU interface ---- very helpful for a pre-OBDII car, but kinda useless for the later stuff I would think.

3. fmaderi

fmaderi Formula Junior

May 8, 2005
    clearwater Fla/NY
    Full Name:
    frank maderi
    Could have used that baby last week on an early mondial T. They came with no hook up for sd2 ?had to use semstress pins to back probe . I remember using it also on a teves abs worth couple of hundred to me

4. ga68

ga68 Karting

May 22, 2014
    Mulhouse - FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Gaëtan
    Hello,
    One of you will have a photo of the box open, although I have my small idea, it would be interresant to see the interieur ...
    See even the manual of use.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #30 Ferrarium, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Right so I know what the one on the left is, its 95970072 shows below and also on page 1.
    The one on the right is the ABS test box? I have both.

On the unit 95970072, if the ECU harness goes into the 95970072 box, where does the Motronic dongle coming out of the 95970072 box go?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kokose7en likes this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I don't think the graphic is correct (for the 355). The wiring diagrams don't show a 55 pin plug in that location (behind the left hand seat). It makes more sense to attach the breakout box harness to the individual ECUs (for easier fitment) and connect the (no lead) connector on the breakout box to the harness going to the engine. i.e. The box is inserted in-line with the harness. The idea is to allow testing with the engine running.

To be used with Ferrari diagnostic sheet #22.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #32 Ferrarium, Dec 5, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    Yes that make more sense, I'd use it on my 348 I assume its the same usage.
    I don't have sheet #22 but I have diagnostic sheet 13. Shows the 2 pins to use, the meter setting and the expected result. Looks like only some circuits need the car running, not sure which, probably things like fuel or ignition. Static items like crank sensors probably do not.

Man would this make it easier to chase issues. Everyone should have one.:)

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    When they say bridge pins, like the last line, what does that mean, both ends of the probe in the same terminal hole?

These 2 may help others as well.

Attached Files:

Kokose7en likes this.
  9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Having second thoughts about this. After reading the 2.7 instructions, it says to NOT connect the ECU. You may be able to do some checks with the ECU connected, but you would have to be sure of what you're doing.

Just use a jumper wire between the terminal holes. Jumping 19 & 36 provides a chassis earth to relay "d" solenoid. Then proceed with the other steps.

"Decoded" colour wiring diagram here:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/gI0fxoLZmR4vTsvH

Link expires in 6 days.

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #35 Ferrarium, Dec 5, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    I assume the other end is the pass through option(mentioned below) which you mention as in lining it when the car needs to be running. Can't see an additional harnesses needed the test box has both ends which makes it a pass through harness as well?

Many of the tests say to check for 12V which lets me believe me either the ignition has to be in run position or the car has to be running on for some tests? Fuel pumps don't have power at all unless the car is fired for example , ran into that when I replaced my fuel pumps, thought something was wrong , had no voltage to them with key on, once it fired I got voltage. Its not clear on which when in the doc. Maybe I need another page? Section #22 Diagnostic Sheet looks like p/n 95991069, not sure if that's what I have. Its an old document from member Whyte.

Attached Files:

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The correct diagnostic sheet outlines in detail the conditions for every test. Some are connected to car and ECU unplugged. Some key on and some key off. Some will have jumpers connected for one reason or the other. Then the ECU will be connected and more tests. The break out boxes were made in many configurations for different systems and were not interchangeable. There is I think 2 binders of diagnostic sheets and the break out box is pretty useless without them but I do see the diagnostic sheets come up on Ebay or Ferrari Books .Com from time to time. The sheets are far easier to find than the break out boxes themselves. The break out boxes make the job easier, not possible. There is nothing the box allows you to do that probing the main connector cannot do. The main connector numbering system is the same as the box numbering system.

Qavion likes this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There is a procedure in the WSM for shorting out pins on each ECU connector to get the respective pump running... or you could simply jumper the relay.

Is there no priming function on the F348 2.7? The pumps on the F355 2.7 run with the ignition ON (according to the WSM). On the F355 5.2, the pump primes once for a few seconds only (ECU-timer controlled). Thereafter, turning the ignition off/on has no effect. The engine must be started.

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That's the one I have for the F348 (#13).

#22 seems to be the diagnostic sheet for the 5.2 F355. I haven't seen one for the 2.7 F355.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There are 5 different 2.7 diagnosis sheets. 19 is for the 355.

Qavion likes this.
  16. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    #19 sheets for the F355 2.7 you can print them out and use them as reference. :)

Attached Files:

Ferrarium likes this.
  17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #42 Rifledriver, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    Those are not diagnosis sheets. It is an overlay for a break out box.

Post 32 shows the upper half of a diagnosis sheet.

18. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    I never said diagnostic sheets. YOU did on post #40

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You called them #19 sheets. They are not.

You want to play semantics games play by yourself.

windsock and Kokose7en like this.
  20. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Does anyone know if Ferrari made overlays for the 88pin breakout boxes applicable for the 5.2 Motronic 355's. This would be the overlay which corresponds to the N.22 diagnosis sheet.