What is your mileage? Are you scared of driving your car? I am definitely not. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is your mileage? Are you scared of driving your car? I am definitely not.

Discussion in '360/430' started by TAILWAG, Jun 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    23000 miles...second summer owning it.
    I’m not afraid to drive it, but i dont get as many opportunities to drive it as I’d like.
    There’s definitely places i don’t like to drive it, and I don’t like driving it in the rain.

2. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just rolled over 40K on mine last week. Averaging just over 5K per year since I bought it.

(Of course, that means the mileage accrual on the 328 has slowed somewhat. And the Lotus has become pretty much a track day only car. And the Miata only really goes to the airport and back.)

3. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I love this thread..!
    This question has always been burning in the back of my mind....I agree with so many of you when it comes to driving this vehicle as much as you can...like someone mentioned the Ferrari engineers designed this machine to be driven not sitting.
    IMOP the homework has to be done prior to the purchase which should reflect in a trouble free vehicle or one that will require rebuild shortly after purchase...as far as depreciating value I bought my F430 to drive and enjoy which I do as often as I can..
    K//

4. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Bought our '04 360 spider four years ago with 19K miles, which I considered around the sweet spot for a driver's car. Thorough PPI with excellent results and complete maintenance records. We've put 20K on the car in that time for everything from trips to the grocery store to 2K mile road trips. Several trips up the coast and to Spring training every year. In short, exactly what we bought the car for. Here are the emergent repair items we've experienced since owning the car:

-Replaced RH fuel pump
    -Replaced brake master cylinder and resevoir
    -Replaced engine mounts
    -Reset capote position switches

Plan to carry on as before..........

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I hear you. I drive my car in SF occasionally, usually around Union Square, Nob Hill, Financial District, and SOMA. The hills make it a bit crazy and SOMA, while flat, has TERRIBLE streets. Parking is always fun but I have a few favorite spots.

6. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    You are driving it in a way that is wearing the clutch more than it should. I have been averaging 870 miles per percentage point for years now.
    So 10% wear in 4K miles is more than double what I am getting.
    I recently measured the clutch and I had 18.61% wear in 16,200 miles (since it was changed by previous owner)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I bought my 06 430 with 12,000 miles in December of 2016. I now have 15,500 miles on the car.
    Being that I paid what was the equivalent of a Mercedes SL, my concern over mileage is pretty much non-existent.
    I am sure there are some expenses in my future that might make me concerned about putting a lot of miles on the
    car, but I considered that when I purchased my car.
    I won't let that impede the joy of getting it out on the road as much as possible.
    At this point I really don't care if it ends up with 35,000 miles in the next few years.
    I didn't by a LaFerrari or any other "collectable" car so I will continue to enjoy it without
    constantly worrying about its resale value. I realize that clutch wear is the big fear associated with
    the F1 system, but it is still worth the fun of driving it as much as possible despite that.
    My opinion, obviously, but I love driving it a whole lot more than my Audi A8!

8. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I should also mention that I live in a city that does not have a Ferrari dealership.
    I have found a great mechanic who has worked on Ferrari's for many years and has all of the software that applies
    to this car. He has saved me so much money in creative ways to sort out the minor stuff that seems to
    be part of Ferrari ownership. My air conditioning compressor failed a year ago and he found a guy in Georgia
    who refurbishes these compressors and instead of shelling out $3500 for a new one, I ended up paying
    $250 for the work he did. One of the hydraulic lines to the F1 system burst last March and instead of having to pay the
    stupid money for a new loom and hydraulic lines, GTE engineering in Florida rebuilt the entire loom and and all of the lines
    to superior standards compared to the factory stuff for $1200. So there are ways to save money and actually improve
    on some of the factory items. Anyway, finding someone like this goes a long way to not feeling like you are
    getting hosed by a Ferrari shop. I guess the receipts from an authorized Ferrari dealer look better to a potential
    customer, but after spending all of the additional thousands of dollars on repairs do you really benefit that
    greatly on resale of a 360 or an 430? Just my thoughts.

Marcopolo3382 and TAILWAG like this.
  9. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    You don’t need Ferrari authorized receipts (like a dealership) you just need a Ferrari certified mechanic receipts (like an independent)
    and for some things it is a must because he would need SD2/SD3 or Leonardo to perform se work
    Si if your mechanic knows what he is doing and has the necessary tools is as valid as a dealer (and some independents are actually better than the dealership)

10. thehick

thehick Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    VA
    Bought her with 17,500 two years ago. Now has 35,000. I don't care about mileage at all.

F50gta, billy.gif and TAILWAG like this.
  11. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    bought mine with 30k miles in November 2017, 33k on it now. I also don't care about mileage as I didn't buy this as an investment

billy.gif, Skidkid and o31982 like this.
  12. Testarossa Sean

Testarossa Sean Karting

May 13, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Sean
    WARNING ️ don’t attempt driving in LA ‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

TAILWAG and ShadowF430 like this.
  13. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason

You have an unbelievable clutch wear lol. At your rate, that would estimate a clutch would go 87000 miles before replacement. That would be a record I think I drive mine though in a way I can maximize the clutch. Start of decently fast at lights to avoid slip, leave in race so less slip, hell I even pull it out of the garage sometimes vs using reverse haha. I’m over critical of the car . Any thing wrong bugs me. Even the most minor thing.

The dealer replaced the clutch at 29k from the last guy. Call it 30k, which is about 300 miles a percent roughly. That was half it’s life in SF in the hills. It’s pretty flat where I live in south cal and most of my millage is highway to the beach, so I know the clutch reading is off. No way it’s 25% gone in 4k miles. That’s why I just keep track of the real number so my next check up I can keep averaging it. Right now I think I’m at 8-12% wear in 4k miles: so if I get 35k ish out of the clutch I’m satisfied when I hear some get 16k

14. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Not exactly because the clutch will start slipping way before it reaches 0% life remaining and the wear is not linear.
    I just shared the rate of wear I have experienced and I have it checked every year and it is funny is always very close to 870miles per point.
    The clutch was replaced at a little less than 20k (now it has 36k with 18% wear) and at that time the clutch was slipping due to previous owners driving habits; now at 36k it is not near that level of wear that it would need to be replaced anytime soon hence I can tell the driving habits on the same car reflects directly on the clutch wear.
    Now my car is a 360 not a 430 and yes I am very very careful about how I drive it.
    if you perform a search about clutch wear you will find numbers are all over the place.

15. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Well, most people buy their Ferraris as conversation pieces and let them sit in the garage afraid of depreciation and break downs. I have a really hard time to understand this so i wonder how common it is for a Ferrari to have a backed odometer.

I have driven 2500 miles in two months now and have 6% clutch wear. No issues. I intend to drive it as i didn´t buy a 250 GTO and it´s going to depreciate anyway. People get anxious about a F430 with 40k miles on it while there is a F430 with 140k miles in Sweden without any more issues then a Porsche. Ferrari made the F430 with reliability in mind, the more you drive it the better it is.

And yes, if you drive it it´s going to get a stone chip or two. It´s going to get scratches and get dirty. It doesn´t have to be a show room piece. Would love to see more loved Ferraris with patina.

TAILWAG likes this.
  16. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    I drive mine nearly 8,000 km's (5k miles) a year since I got her. Am about to go for a drive to Basel, then to Zurich, and back home tomorrow. 550km give or take by the looks of it (350 miles), and not afraid to do so :)

Testarossa Sean and billy.gif like this.
  17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I have manual so no issue and to be fair my mileage is KM . In miles it 71,400. I drive in every borough of NYC. Chicago is bad , drove there once in 360. Cleveland equals or tops Chicago

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    $40k !... was it a salvage ? I cant imagine spending that much unless its a engine rebuild

19. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I'm not sure that the OPs 2k miles in 18 months classifies as a lot of miles, I bought my 360 with 4k miles on the clock, over the next 16 months I added almost 10k, the car was my daily driver and did everything.

Since coming back to the UK I've done a lot less but only due to the weather.... like another poster I simply don't like the hassle of the car getting filthy every time.

20. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    My mechanic works on german cars. He does same thing for me. He knows rebuilders for many parts or found equivalent. Dealer services kills you

21. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    56k klms in 3 years in the 430, and 35k klms in the 456GT in 2 1/2 years. My wife uses hers almost as much as I do. These things are made to drive.

22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    This may sound crazy to some of you, but I tend to look and say lets see it is going to rain today, which car is easiest to clean. I have a lot of cars so I consider a bunch of factors before I decide which one to take that day. Putting mileage on any of the cars is never ever one of the factors I consider. I have never cared what any car I've owned will be worth when I get rid of it, I only care what is worth to me when I own it.

Testarossa Sean and TAILWAG like this.
  23. ATLSIGNGUY

ATLSIGNGUY Karting

Mar 10, 2017
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    PJ Houser
    Keep going....

Attached Files:

24. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed