What Not To Do In Hawaii | FerrariChat

What Not To Do In Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Glassman, Jan 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I've seen the posts where people ask what kind of really fun and groovy things there are to do in Hawaii. I was thinking about things that you should never do when visiting in Hawaii. Please add others.

#1 - When visiting the Big Island...never take rocks home with you.
    #2 - When visiting Volcano and walking the Lava Flow.....never step off the marked path and venture out by yourself!!! I actually saw this a couple of years ago. The park ranger just about had a heart attack!!!!
    #3 - When visiting the beach, never pick up a turtle, hold it to your chest, have a picture taken of the violation, then actually posting the picture on the Internet. It gets costly real quick.
    #4 - Never ever attempt to hit 100MPH on the new Saddle Road. Ask me how I know.
    #5 - Never try to walk into my neighbor Cheryl's house with your shoes on unless you want to get cussed at in Japanese.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    When bodysurfing on big days, never underestimate the size of waves at Sandy Beach on O'ahu.

3. Hawaiian35

Hawaiian35 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Ewa Beach Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Robsky
    What Not To Do in Hawaii:

1. If you are white or black don't go to Waianae island of O'ahu they will beat you up bad!

2. If pulled over by a cop ( HPD ) don't argue because they are always right and destined
    to give you that ticket only to buy donuts for themselves once the ticket gets paid.

3. If you are driving pay very close attention to the road or you will suffer the consequnces
    running on some deep pot holes that will ruin your alignmnet, rims, and tires.

4. don't give the Hawaiians, and Samoans a look in the eye or they will say, " what!!
    what!! you like fight? "

5. Never drive to Kalihi Valley at night or you will get shot at and die.

6. Don't point your index finger at trees on the mountains or menehunes will make you ill
    and be sick when you get to your hotel or home and never heal. Eventually u will die.

7. Do not curse on any Hawaiian mountains and big old trees. Again you will get ill.

8. One more time.....Do Not go to the Zoo. You will waste your time and money. The most
    dirtiest Zoo I've ever seen and more than half the animals died because no one is
    maintaining the place.

9. Do not pick up Hookers at Hotel Street. Some say that the good looking ones are
    really undercover cops. You will spend 5 days in jail and be ready to pay $1000!

10. Do not eat cooked meals at China Town. That place is infested with rats. You will get
    sick heavily from diseases from rat feces. HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR almost!!!!

11. Do not alter your vehicle in any shape or form without getting a recon sticker or you will
    again get pulled over by donut cops all over town.

12. Do not drive I repeat do not drive up to Pali Lookout at night or your will experience
    the most terrifying ghosts encounters of your sorry life. You will turn white by the time
    your family and cops find you.....and will give you a ticket......for more donuts!

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Do not milk a left for everything it is worth when you know a shallow spot in the reef is coming up. You will hear a terrible scrape as your fins drag across the reef and will then get swatted directly INTO the reef by the wave behind you. Trying to stay flat, you will come up after the water recedes and be left with no choice but to stand on the reef, gashing your knee and stepping on an urchin in the process. The urchin will damn near pierce the top of your foot, but you will continue surfing even though you are in pain, cursing like a mad man, and bleeding enough to attract every tiger shark from Hawaii to New Zealand...and the sun is going down. When you get back to your place, you will get a bottle of alcohol, some bandages, and will sterilize an Exacto knife and tweezers and become an impromptu podiatrist in hopes of removing that $#%@in' urchin. Your friend will throw up watching you do this.

Good times :)

5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wowsers! Some good advice there! I've been to Oahu 38+/- times in the last
    10 years on business ("Manhattan with palm trees") and have heard MOST of your
    list... I have a few new ones to add

The "white folks on the wrong beach" thing I have PERSONAL experience with :p:p

:)

Jedi (next on Oahu in March.... are you on Oahu? If so, let's get together at Uncle Bo's!)

6. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    1. Never surf Country on a rising swell

2. Never drop in on a local who's up and riding. That will be your fastest ticket to the Emergency Room.

3. Never beep your horn at another driver unless you're ready to get out of the car and settle the conflict with your fists.

4. If another driver lets you merge or cut in front, give a mellow shaka with your left hand. Giving a peace sign will make you look like a kook.

5. Never take raw meat over the Pali Highway at night, the last thing you will see is a lady in a flowing white dress.

6. Never go to the old Chinese cemetery in the back of Manoa Valley on a full moon, trust me on this one.

7. Never say "Hey brah, what's da haps?" unless you were born and raised here.

8. Always use lots of sunscreen at the beach, the Hawaiian sun is merciless to white skin.

9. On the weekends stay away from the Waikiki Trade Center and Kuhio Avenue in general unless you want to scrap with Marines from Kaneohe, popolos, or get shot by an undercover security officer who somehow managed to sneak a handgun into Zanzibar and McDonalds.

10. Don't drive the road to Hana and particularly the southern route around Haleakala if you have motion sickness.

11. Place a "Friends and Family of the Honolulu Police Department" red sticker in a prominent location on your Ferrari's windshield so that Occifer Futang can get a clear view when he pulls you over.

12. Always keep a couple HPD officers' cellphone numbers on speed dial in case you get pulled over for not having a front license plate on your F-car. Trust me on this one.

7. jimiguy

jimiguy Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2010
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim Shaw
    "On the weekends stay away from the Waikiki Trade Center and Kuhio Avenue in general unless you want to scrap with Marines from Kaneohe, popolos, or get shot by an undercover security officer who somehow managed to sneak a handgun into Zanzibar and McDonalds."

LOL, I brokered the sale of the WTC back in 1983 and it was big trouble back then!

Jim

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Awesome list!!!!!!

I think you cannot take pork over the Pali too (cooked or no).

Love the stories the guys tell that paddled out in a rising NS swell and got surprised. (got fear?, stuff of nightmares for me!)

Lets add...

Dont pat that cute asian child on the head.

Dont go to the movie theater with empty pockets! (You should have 20 dollars worth of snacks and a couple of bottles of your favorite beverege on your person hidden from view!

I am sure more will come to me.

9. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I used to risk very high speeding tickets going up Kam Highway to catch those rising swells! Amazing what we do when we are 18-22! Once there, ONLY surf as a white boy with local friends.

10. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Beware the Coconut Wireless, for there is no greater speed than communication among local cuz's reacting to a slight, be it real or perceived.

Q: Is the food off local catering trucks still good & plentiful? I was drawn to them as I noticed locals didn't eat until they were full, they ate until they couldn't move.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I scored a Reyn Spooner dress shirt today off the rack at Ross..

MSRP: $105.00
    Retail: $12.99

You heard it here! :D :D :D :D

Now, back to our regularly scheduled cautionary thread.....

12. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Oh, cool. I got a Duke Kahanamoku shirt for about same price a while back - it's made of bamboo & breathes/wears/washes great.

13. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'll have to remember to snap a pic of the Aloha shirt side of my closet otherwise known as the business wear side. Makes my friends laugh whenver they come for a visit. My prize is a vintage Reyn Spooner that my wife hates. :)

14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Lmao I have my aloha shirts i.e. business casual organized by reyn spooner, tori richards, tommy bahamas, etc. My staff got me an awesome spooner for Xmas with surfboards all over.

15. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    #15 Surfah, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I get my Aloha shirts at Costco......no wonder the locals don't like me!!!!!

17. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I just spent my first two weeks ever about 1hr south of kona in a rented oceanfront hose.

I am addicted.

18. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I really like the surfboard one!!!!!!

Nice!

19. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This is good reading. I will be back on Oahu in a little over a week and it will be my first time going without my wife. Usually she keeps me out of trouble as she grew up in Honolulu so I will need to be a little more aware this time. I will be the "guide" for my friends.... could be trouble if we do little to much drinking. Better not try to talk local :O)

20. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #20 ernie, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
    Do not go to the Luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center. It's run by the Mormons, they serve no alcohol, good luck getting seconds, they rush you out, the hula dancers are wearing pants even the girls. In a nut shell, it sucks.

Do not watch the STUPID movie at the Cultural Center either. HUGE waste of time.

Do not waste your time trying to find the liquor section at the Foodland in Laie because it does not exist.

Do not eat at Cholo's "authentic mexican" restaurant. That was the WORST "mexican" food I have ever had.

21. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    YEAH buddy!

I have quite a few I got there. All but I think maybe 2 were made in Hawaii.

22. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #22 Kevin Rev'n, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
    Good Mex is hard to find here. The best ones I have found are the one on the cobblestone walk on Fort Street Mall accross from the HPU campus and oddly, in the Windward Mall in Kaneohe there is a mex restaraunt near the Straub entrance and Movie Theater side right when you walk in. They have no idea how to serve the food, its comical to have to build your food the way it should already be prepared but they do have the authentic "Los Angeles" style flavors down. Once you build it up into a copy of an; for those of you familiar with Southern California Icons Super-Mex or El Tarasco offering, you will be north of 10 dollars for a burrito!... but it tastes so good I bring it home often!

23. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Do not forget that "Mahalo" actually means trash. To remind you, it is written on every trash can you will see...

24. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I totally agree. Los Chaparros on Beretania is so-so and I sometimes swing by Diegos on King on my way home from boxing lessons but mostly because it's cheap and fast. Toritos is meh and Wahoo's is so non-authentic it reminds me of Compadres LMAO.

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I found two real ones at Goodwill also, they look great after being at my cleaners..

I'll need to stop in there more often!!