What Not To Do In Hawaii | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What Not To Do In Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Glassman, Jan 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I was baptized in the ocean as well, not many people can say that.

2. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    DO have the top down on your cabriolet before 9AM; and after 6PM on sunny days in Hawaii. [The same rule applies on cloudy days.]

Why? Because there are way too many tourists driving around with the top down - especially those sitting in black interiors - like so many baked red potatoes.

The Hawaiian sun burns the skin in about twenty minutes....

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ get plenty of spray on sunscreen, that sun burns......
    Also, pack lightly, every place is casual.
    Ed

4. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Don't leave ANYTHING of value in a locked car or hotel room - even if you're on a Military base. The locals know how to unlock a rental-car door, steal everything (including whatever you think you've hidden under the seat or trunk), and RELOCK the car. Hotel maids often serve as 'lookouts' for local thief-gangs, who often canvass ground-floor hotel rooms and will steal everything of potential value in a hotel room in as little as 15 minutes. Hotel staff will LIE about how-often this is happening, and the cops won't investigate too hard, otherwise there's a paper-trail that might support a rising petty-theft statistic and scare the tourists away. Much of the 'merchandise' at the flea-market is stolen goods from tourists - don't go to these.

5. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I've visited many times over the years and no troubles whatsoever.

Volcanic rock is cool.. plenty more where that came from.

6. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Dont know if it was mentioned:

- Don't go to Waiphu looking for Pakalolo. You will be robbed
    - Don't rent a ragtop jeep and drive to the punch bowl. You will get caught in the rain and sumarily soaked while you fumble with it.
    - Don't ask a hooker on Kuhio ave of she'll accept 47.50 for her services, she wont give you a second chance.
    - Dont go to the International Polynesian Village, its a waste of time, unless you like mean korean women selling chinese Chotskies.

All from personal experience.

7. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    And watchout fo dem Mahu's..... Not from personal experience.

8. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Riiiiiiight. ;)

9. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Oh I met those too. That was an eye opener. Lol

10. onocoffee

onocoffee Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Hunt Valley, MD
    Full Name:
    Jay C
    Never say the word "Ufa."

To anyone.

Especially if you add "kefe."

Never. Just don't do it.

11. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    If a rent-a-car agency offers you a Dodge Charger, decline the offer. They are very easy to break into.

12. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Best not to leave anything of value in any rental car, or any car period. Then it doesn't much matter whether it's easy to break into.

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Don't complain incessantly about how Hawaii is not like __________ place.

Don't buy groceries anywhere other than WalMart or Costco (unless you like paying double).

Don't bring valuables in your car to the beach. Violent crime and shootings are rare, but petty theft rates are high.

As for danger, I never really had any instances where I was afraid for my safety other than a few times in Makaha (West side of Oahu) and some sketchy industrial areas on the West side of Honolulu metro. Bigger guys get more threats, but usually not life threatening. My observations after 5 years in the islands was that in Polynesian cultures there is a tendency to fistfight for social position or to resolve disputes - you hear about beatings or fights but not as much knives or guns. This doesn't include drug/gang activity around Town though. But if you stay out of that scene there's not a lot of risk.

About La'ie's lack of alcohol: the town is actually a private entity, owned by a trust and operated by a corporation.

14. CoolGirl

CoolGirl Rookie

May 2, 2011
    Sunset Beach Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Jessica Sinclair
    Never park your car under a coconut tree on a windy day :)