What Replica would you do? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What Replica would you do?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by raines, Jul 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I want the newest stuff when I'm on the track.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    At the very least something engineered for track duty, which I can assure you many replicas are not even if they have x% parts interchangeability with an older car...

As to newer vs older stuff. One has to admire the balls of drivers from the 70s back, shunts in those cars were deadly in a way thats simply not a big question in a more modern race car.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Vintage race cars with magnesium uprights and wheels are not the safest either! Magnesium looses strength with corrosion!

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I always go with the beginners on track days. Even with a fuel injected small block GT40 Mk I I bet I would never ever even spin it. I'm just a sightseer who likes to get in a smooth groove.

I approach the track just the same way as I do riding a bike on twisty roads; no braking at the last minute, no early power out of the turn, just a smooth groove.

I never wanted to be a racer, I just enjoy riding and driving at about 75-80%. I'm good at it too. Never went down riding aggressively, and I have over 100K miles on BMW's alone.

I'm not afraid of a Superformance GT40. I'm sure it would be a gas.

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    When I went to my 1st SCCA driving school for regional license 35 years ago. I could not believe how many new drivers flew off in the beginning of the sessions! I never dropped a wheel off the whole weekend, and won the driving school race.

6. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Daytona Cobra would be my pick.

7. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Ferrari 312 PB, using a TR/512M motor and Hewland gearbox. Oh wait.... That is what I am doing!!!:D

Texas Forever and G. Pepper like this.
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The only replica I would do is one that no longer exists.

The Sharknose F1 cars being brought back to light is a good example.

9. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    It is a close representation to a 312 PB but slightly wider-so I can put two real humans in it. And slightly longer in wheelbase, again for packaging of humans.

Nose simplified a bit from 312PB, headlamps simpler also.

Need to scan a TR motor and make CAD model of it and gearbox. Package length may mean a loner wheelbase and a longer tail. TBD.

Will also need proper uprights/hubs for it. May buy repro McLaren M8 or Lola T70 stuff , as they exist.

Need wheels-will look at CNC billet to get right shape.

Also needs a custom dry sump "pan" made. As TR motor will not have stock TR lower g-box assembly. A bit of work here.

And a unique adaptor plate/bellhousing to attach motor to gbox and house clutch. Also will be main cross member to attach drive train to chassis.

So a lot of work yet--design and mfg. And $$$$

Plan is to make one car, flog it around a bit and see if I can get some interest from people in getting one. Assume there are 3-5 people out there who would want one and could afford it. Would be ultimate track day car and great at FCA events. (FCA will allow it as Ferrari powered!)

Not sure what it would cost (have not done business plan as not really point of project) but assume selling cost of over $180,000-maybe up to $225,000?

Depends on number sold and how I amortize tooling and pattern costs of body. (Those are main expenses of program. So that cost must roll into sales cost-which means sales cost very sensitive to production volume at this low volume.)

So what I need is for 10 orders and deposits of $50K each!!!!:D:p

G. Pepper and Texas Forever like this.
  10. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    But you would be getting a properly designed race car "homage" of a 312PB with very similar power, a little less as I can tweak TR motor to about 425 hp, versus 450 for real 312 PB but way more torque (3 liter vs 5 liter motor) at similar weights, all designed by a LeMans winning (3 times now!) race car designer.

Of course I may only one stupid/crazy enough to want one but fine line between insanity and genius!!! :p:p:eek:

G. Pepper and Texas Forever like this.
  11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    How about making a Testarossa replica that works? You know, no cracked differentials. (Running and ducking for cover.)

Jakuzzi and G. Pepper like this.
  12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Great post, but about #1. Isn't the Jaguar E "reborn" program really just a restoration done by the factory and not a replica/recreation? The Jag D continuation cars are the ones I think some call replicas and others continuation cars...

https://www.jaguar.com/about-jaguar/jaguar-classic/authentic-cars.html

At any rate, I never really considered a car made by a manufacturer a replica and to me it's authentic even if not made in period. If Ferrari made an F40 today to the same specs, I would still say it's a real F40. I hope they are reading this and plan on doing it. :)

thorn and G. Pepper like this.
  13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  14. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    I just talked with Ferrari of ATL and they have a TR block as a table support and they are okay with me scanning it so I will have proper CAD data to do that bit of work. Also said next time they pull a TR motor I can come down, scan and measure what I need. So that will help big time.

Next step is to get a proper model of a Hewland DG 300 box done. I have a decent one for now-but need more actual data. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    I want to do this car "right", that is with as close to period correct equipment as possible. I have had people say I should design it around a Chevy V-8 with an auto tranny or 328 motor. And use Corvette suspension and stuff for it.

All I can say is there is no way I could do that. This car needs to embody the "spirit" of the 312PB as much as possible. But in no way am I trying to make a repro 312PB! Will not have any Ferrari badges on it, nothing that says Ferrari anywhere on car. It is not a Ferrari--and I would never pass it off as such. But it is inspired by a really superb and famous Ferrari race car.

It will give me (and maybe others) as close as chance as I will ever get to driving a real 312 PB. So it is in honor of that car that I am doing this.

raines likes this.
  16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    And, thus, the genre of "Ferrari Outlaw" is born.

17. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Well the other car I want to do is a 32 Ford convertible (Hi Boy) wherein I stuff a Ferrari 328 motor in the rumble seat area, put rads, battery and fuel tank under hood, do a pushrod front suspension with the springs and dampers hidden under hood, and paint in Porsche Guards Red-just to really mix it all up!

Piss off the FCA, the hot rodders, etc all at one time.

But I like the sound of "Ferrari Outlaw" as a name for this car....

18. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    None. Original please.

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    250LM, 335S, 312P Berlinetta

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

If you can capture the essence of this, well who goes tot he track that wouldnt want one.

21. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Should be real close to a real 312PB. Will look very similar. Have a flat 12. Will not rev as high or sound quite as raspy but will still sound good. Will have a TR motor with new intake system-getting rid of Bosch system and doing individual throttle bodies and inlet trumpets, so will look like the 312 motor. Use megasquirt or somebody injection ECU to control the motor.
    Remove gearbox and replace with NC billet oil pan (dry sump) with external oil pump. Get rid of a lot of the front end accessory drive stuff. May run alternator off of gearbox (packaging vs aesthetics) and may be electric water pumps.
    Will have open header exhaust like 312PB.

So motor will look like the "real" thing-pretty close anyway. And should go from 380 hp to 415 or so hp. Maybe more if I do cams, increase compression ratio, etc. Issue is a TR motor (used) is 20K+ and now need to add engine mods-so add 5 to 10K for that. Adds up quickly!

But as a 5 liter motor will have more torque than the 3 liter race engine. Probably a bit more. So will make car a little easier to drive and compensate for my car being a bit heavier. (Bigger motor). All in all I would expect top end to maybe a little down on 312PB but 0-60, 0-100 times to be pretty close. Probably a little slower but not by much.

Car will have properly sorted suspension and basic aero, rear wing, front splitter (small-ish) so will not be an aero car at all, nor do I want that. Will have tires as wide (probably a bit wider) as the 312 PB (Tire sizes changed a lot on that car over life) so car should corner and brake very close (equal) to 312PB.

Cockpit a bit wider and longer-so you can fit bigger drivers. I think I sized it around a 95% SAE male-6' 3" or so. Also decent room for passenger. Want that as I think taking passengers along (of the female kind!) is an essential feature.

Chassis will mimic 312PB in concept-will "look" proper.

But as I said--I am not out to make a repro 312PB. Or call my car that. It is an "homage" car. Want to get this one going and then look at doing a Porsche 908 spyder homage car.

Hey--I need to create a company and call it "Homage Racing". Anybody want to be a partner/investor??? :D:D:p

22. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    As perfect as the pur sang is I still think I'll do one of these in either green or silver at some point in my life. Jaguar C type.