What the heck is this? | FerrariChat

What the heck is this?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by racerx3317, Nov 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Does anyone know what that is on Buttons car? It's that little flap with the Union Jack painted on it. I never noticed it before

2. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
  3. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Its a wing device introduced for the Chinese GP - you see the same thing on right side of the car with the 555 logo on the outside. Sato's car had a Japanese flag on the inside

4. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    From the angle of the pic it looks like it's on the nose of the car around the suspension which i thought had been banned. Thanks for clearing that up.

5. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Does the wing do anything or it just more space for sponser ads?

6. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    My guess would be for stability. Air moving around it would seem to push on either side almost holding the car center. That's my take on it anyhoo. Or it could be working with that new front wing. Man that things doing all kinds of craziness.

7. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I am guessing that it cleans up the airflow just after the front wheels to direct it better to the rear wing. I remember Steve Matchett saying that most of the fins and such between the two wings are primarily for this purpose only - another example is the McLaren Viking horns