What to look for with a Euro 3x8? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What to look for with a Euro 3x8?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Fairview, Sep 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    #26 Fairview, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    I got wrapped around the axle at work and didn't follow up. So it wasn't me. I think it was on Craigslist, too, so it could have been sold that way, too.

There was a post near the top in this thread that the seller is on fchat. Maybe he (or she) will tell us what happened.

2. dudereno

dudereno Rookie

Sep 23, 2008
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Sold a couple hours ago to a local person in VA :). When I took it to Ferrari of Washington back in November, mechanic said it actually had better HP due to lack of cats (maybe I was fed some wrong info??). I was receiving so many offers, the car sold itself honestly due to its condition and up to date maintenance.

Biggest question that I really didnt address at first was the emission issue. I tried to sort it out last night as much as I could.

Regarding the color, it was originally red.

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    hmm i should put mine on ebay and see. ferrariads and cars.com have not sold it yet! had it a year, time for another one!

4. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #29 Neonzapper, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    No surprise there, Dustin. Congrats to you and the new owner.

5. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I can verify my information....Can you? My information comes from the book, 'Original Ferrari V8' by Keith Bluemel. The difference in weights can be found on page 38 and the 0-60 results are on page 126.

6. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    Are the stats listed in the owners manuals? I have a Euro owner's manual and a US as well. I'll thumb through them tonight and see if the data is listed.

I've heard/read that not all published data from independent sources 100% accurate in every respect.... I've heard from several sources that Euro QVs are lighter and faster than the US versions. Hp and 0-60 times vary depending on the source.

Would it be possible to track down the guy from the factory that wrote down all this stuff? :)

7. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I am comparing a Euro 308 GTS QV and the US version.

8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That book is wrong in a couple areas, that being one of them. My proof comes from a ton personal first hand experience with these cars where I know the variables. The very lightest I have ever seen a 308 with a/c and still in stock form was 2836lbs. This was a Euro glass car with NO (zero) fuel in it and no tools and a Ansa sport exhaust. The Euro GTS QV I saw weighed tipped the scales just under 3000lbs with 1/4 tank of fuel. A local US QV GTS I only *heard* (didnt see with my own eyes) with a sports exhaust weighed in at 3110lbs with about 1/4 tank. Gary who owns the local Ferrari shop had his '78 gts weighed in at 2915+ or so (this I also did not see with my own eyes) with Euro bumpers and a stainless exhaust, no spare, unk fuel level, but with tools and emissions equipment. My car with US bumpers, emissions equip, a/c, Ansa sport, spare and tools is just under 3000 with little fuel.

I have seen with my own eyes a Euro GTS QV and a early US carb car literally neck and neck up to nearly 100mph. Neither was faster than the other. With all the dyno stuff I have seen on this forum and in-person there is no way there is a huge power difference in the cars either, if any. Power difference with a US QV and Euro QV is there, but not enough to warrant more than .2 between the two to 60. To 100, maybe a bit more but not much. Ferrari was the king of fluff back in the day. Euro car is a great car to drive though. Very easy at low rpm and the ignition curve is different enough from the US where it is not hard to tell the difference. Speed difference noticable in the seat? Not so much.

It benefits a person to know precisely how specific 0-60 testing might have been carried out by whomever performed the testing that particular occasion. There are literally hundreds of different ways of doing it, and in those days when fluffing the numbers was a regular occurence depending on the magazine, and cars being driven by Ferrari noobs, be sure to not believe everything you read.

What type of road surface was it, temperature, humidity/pressure, altitude, temperature of engine/tires, how much rollout were they affording, who was driving, what was their shift rpm (big factor), how fast were the shifts, were they double declutching to match syncro speed as quickly as possible, what type of instrumentation (if any besides a stopwatch back in those days sometimes lol), what was the state of tune with the example they were driving, what was their launch technique aka did they attempt several ways, how much fuel was in the tank, is the driver versed in how to drive this type of Ferrari? These are all variables that are different depending on who is testing the car at the time.

If it makes a person sleep better at night to know they have a Euro car, so be it. For my dollar it just doesn't warrant enough of a difference if any to go hunting for one. If one choses to go for the hip Euro look with bumpers etc, go for it. For me, they are safe insurance for all these chucklehead drivers out here.

9. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    So, you have no verifiable data......just 'personal experience'. And I'm supposed to believe you know it all and all the books are wrong. LOL

10. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Can we agree to disagree? I don't personally have any idea which is which so I can't put my 0.02 in here.

But seriously, if you have an argument, solid printed facts would be nice to support your case.

Ace

11. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Not worth it to start a thread on this again. I became interested in getting to the bottom of this urban Ferrari legend just because of all the nutty information going around. Glass cars 200lbs lighter, debunked. Euro cars in general being hundred of pounds lighter, bedunked and not just by me. Do a search or do the work and find out for yourself. Much can be fabricated with what many pass off as 'proof' on this forum, but when several others have come to the same conclusion it is not hard to tell what is correct and what is BS. Bluemel's book is excellent in many ways but those weights do not provide the variables or sources and I have (as have others) have proven them dead wrong.

12. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #37 AHudson, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    Actually a pretty informative debate. So, what if we just agreed...

Euro cars are lighter - bumpers, door guards, underpan, exhaust.

And more svelte - bumpers, marker lights.

Have no catalyst -Draw your own conclusion on power.

The remaining debate/benefit on distributors, cam profiles, dry vs wet sump and exact degrees of above can remain in pendantia.

And Branko, my car is faster than yours no matter what you say. ;) Plus ALL OF YOU left out that Euro cars have timing CHAINS made of helium that last a minimum of 32 years.

Just thought I'd change the subject.

13. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I have provided documentation. You say, you have 'sources'. So where are they? I would very much like to see them.

14. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Adams, your BBi, TR and 328 are all faster than my 308.

15. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Lively debate, but now off-topic. Believe what you want.

16. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    FWIW the QV manuals say:

83 QV US version:

Curb weight = GTS 3340 lbs - 1515 kg
    GTB 3290 lbs - 1492 kg
    Max Power - 230 BHP @ 6800 RPM

QV Euro Version:

Curb weight = GTS 2956 lbs - 1341 kg
    GTB 2932 lbs - 1330 kg
    Max Power - 240 BHP @ 7000 RPM

Performance:
    1/4 mile
    US - 14.8 sec
    Eur - 14.5 sec

Standing Kilometer
    US - 26.7 sec
    Eur - 26.2 sec

I checked the dimensions as well. The books say that the front and rear tracks are 3/8" wider in the US model and it is 7.67 inches longer as well (US Bumbers I assume).

I think the weight alone raises an eyebrow. That's a TON of weight difference. Especially in the GTS. I don't know what to think of this. It seems like too much of a difference.

17. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    But they are no prettier, and that's a fact. I read it in a book somewhere... that somebody wrote at some point. Even if they didn't, I'm saying it here.

Hope you're doing well.

18. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Yes, so far, so good and I hope the same to you.

19. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Let's all do a google search on Ferrari 308 gts QV weight and laugh ourselves to sleep with all the different answers out there. Ferrari posted a .3 second speed difference between the two in the quarter but a 300+lbs weight difference. OMG I can't sit straight I am laughing so hard.

20. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    300lbs to me sounds like the difference between curb weight and gross weight. The only way a US 308 is that much heavier than a Euro 308 is if Maranello used US bound 308s as a delivery device to illegally traffic Italian mafioso figures into America hidden in the front boot.

21. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    LMAO! Say hello to my little friend!

22. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    bumpers, some rear bracing, muffler, cats, small door bars, sometimes a different spare is the only difference. Certainly not anywhere near 300lbs. 150-160lbs? Yes that sounds about right. Change to a sport muffler and the difference is even less. The power difference people MAY (I didn't) feel in a Euro car is mainly due to the different ign advance curves.

23. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    The US book had Curb and Gross weights but the Euro only had one weight. I dunno.

Sounds to me like there may have been a body in the trunk with some cement sneakers...

Hey. It is what it is. A FERRARI !!!!!!!

24. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    meh. none of these 308s are "fast" so i base it on the personal desire: i can have euro cars here where i live, as i have no inspections or emissions testing. that, and i prefer the cleaner, lighter look of the euro cars. i drive my 308 less than 2500 miles a year, due to time constraints. i would rather have a euro car, than a USA spec car, because i can.

to me its better to have a "different" not red 308. :) :)

i would think the largest difference would be between a euro GTB QV, and a USA GTS QV. they changed alot of small things from the 76 308, to the QV, and comparing a GTB QV to a USA spec GTS should show the maximum weight difference for our cars. if i get a chance to weigh by GTB before it sells i will post the info. i have a space saver Ferrari spare, but no toolkit .( i will do an inventory of the car if i do get to weigh it.)

25. myfazzman1

myfazzman1 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 25, 2009
    down under,australia
    Full Name:
    peter
    Hi guys

Not sure were these figures came from(they are contained in my 308 gts QV Euro owners manual), but I checked my factory 308 qv Euro brochure(1983 version)and below are the figures contained in it.I believe they are accurate as the German TUV Regulations of the time were very stringent and Ferrari would have been required to be honest and accurate or not be allowed to sell in Germany:

Curb Weight: GTB 2811 lbs GTS 2835 lbs

Unboubtedly the USA market cars were heavier than the Euro cars. Bumpers,side intrusion beams in doors,cat converters,air pumps,muffler grill shields,full size spare wheels,plus extra reinforcement in the front and rear chassis tubing (quite extensive) all added to the weight.If you look at the gearing of the 308 QV euro cars against those of US cars its clear Ferrari were trying to cover the performance "gap" due to the extra weight.

Pete