What transmission oil could be this? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What transmission oil could be this?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ricambio, Jan 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Some of my tubes are touching on the ends, so not sure in the middle though.

If flow is ok then I would totally agree with your deduction

2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Under pressure? Doesn't really matter.

The flow rate of the coolant in the larger tubes pulls heat through faster than the small ones.

The flow rate of the transmission fluid past the cooling tubes is important. PLus larger surface area against the coolant tubes. The thinner the better as that surrenders the heat and moves away quicker than a thicker mass.

Trust me, that new exchanger is not nearly as efficient as what was removed.

Does it matter in the car? Probably not.

I lived with these exchangers for years in my plastic compounding business. 10' long and 12" in diameter.
    If I sent one out for a re-core in the first condition and it came back in the second, it would get returned.

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I will test them when I get it then we will know. I am not convinced from the pics that the flow is good for the oil to get around the cooling tubes efficiently. If it does then like I said I would agree with you because of the facts you all ready pointed out.

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Jon I need to see some calculations just for,giggles
    If you have 2 times as many tubes but they are smaller in diameter but have a little more gap between them is it better, worse, or very close.

My guess is not too much different, watson experience says big difference, and science says ???.

I did not take thermo so ???

I do totally agree that surface area is the key but I also know from experience if the circulation is too fast or the temp diff is too close then very lttle heat transfer will take place. I feel this whole design lacks the size and time required to do a decent job of dropping the temperature.
    That being said the higher the diff in temperatures the better it will work, which is maybe all they were trying to achieve. It will warm oil up quickly and will only cool quickly if the oil temp becomes quite a bit higher than water temp thus preventing a transmission failure by keeping peak temperatures down.
    Dont know for sure but thats my take.

WATSON likes this.
  5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm surprised that ferrari would use that type of cooler. IMO it starts off marginal before you even get into your calcs for giggles. It is way more a liability than an asset. There are better ways to cool. It is almost like "darn we are marginal on our temps" so what is the worst way we can solve that problem? What is even more surprising is you can find these after the 355 too. If you seriously heated the car like track it that thing is a total failure.

PaulK likes this.
  6. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    No kidding. A little oil radiator tucked properly in a wheel well, or underneath would have been way easier and probably more effective.

PaulK likes this.
  7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I don't think the left one is less efficient than the right one. The left unit has 61 smaller tubes and the right 37 bigger so the heat exchange surface areas of both units is probably the same (if not greater in the left unit; difficult to tell without knowing the tube diameters). The left unit has freer oil flow but more restricted coolant flow for some reason.

WATSON likes this.
  8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Mine is a little diferent than Ricambi's, I am getting the old one cleaned and tested but will keep it as a spare. I will post pics and sizes so someone smarter than me can check out the delta t's.

WATSON likes this.
  9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    According to this article it has a higher capacity. This is exactly what I have now but its about 2 lbs heavier.

Ferrari 355/360 Transmission Water to Oil Heat Exchanger
    Posted on August 25, 2017by Mocal USA
    This is a uprated water to oil heat exchanger that replaces the discontinued (NLA) Setrab #175913 170TOC / Ferrari #180846 unit found on various Ferrari 355/360 models. We managed to retain the overall standard outward dimensions (2.90″ x 6.5″ with M16 x 1.5 oil connections) while increasing the cooling capacity by fitting a larger surface area 70 tube core. Coolers are copper construction which has strength advantages over the standard brass unit. Now that these cars have more time and mileage on them it pays to be preventive by replacing this type of cooler prior to failure which can cause extensive damage to both engine and transmission.

Ferrari 355/360 Transmission Cooler part# FTC1 $895.00

Image Unavailable, Please Login .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I dissagree with the article though my original is 100 percent aluminum as far as I can tell, and the weight would suggest same.

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just read that copper is 400 and aluminum 250 so copper also conducts the heat way better.

12. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Is the original aluminum? Or brass?

The primary details regarding cooling are still missing. Number of tubes and tube diameter.

Capacity is one thing. Flow is another.

Thin flow of transmission fluid around the cooling tubes is what transfers the heat the quickest.
    Having a "larger capacity" of fluid in the exchanger will maintain the heat of the oil as it flows through.

Flow of the coolant through the tubes takes the heat away. Restricting the flow slows the heat removal process.

Not saying this one is bad or good, just saying there is not enough data to determine it. Tube count & diameter is the key.

Bigger helps, but it important to know where it is bigger.

There was a tag on my old heat exchanger's that gave them a cooling capacity number....been too long and do not remember the details.

13. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have an OEM 10k mile one sitting here (for sale), the body seems to be obviously aluminum but how would I tell on the tubes?

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Visually. I have one off - I seem to recall them being aluminum but I'm not 100% certain as it's been a long time since I looked at it.

15. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
  16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Its too light I thinkfor brass and it sure looKs like aluminum when you scratch it.

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Had mine cleaned and when you look through the oil hole you cansee the tubes and they look aluminum

18. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Here are the measurements for the exchangers
    6.5 x 170 x 36 tubes
    5.1x 140 x 70 tubes
    In mm of course
    Hopefully someone smarter than me can calculate

19. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    #69 WATSON, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    One exchanger is shorter than the other?
    Are the overall diameters the same?

These tube dims ID or OD?

BTW, thanks for doing the homework!

20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Inner diameter the thickness look the same but they are thin so could be out a lot.

Yes the one cooler the pipes do not go to the ends but stop before so they are shorter in the new one

21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    All things being equal i would have given the cooling performance to the new one but now the new one is significantly shorter so even if it has better characteristics insome ways like materials and surface area then ts shorter.
    No longer for me is it obvious but very clouded ha ha.

Gotta fetch me an abacus i guess

22. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Is this exchanger directional meaning does one end need to face toward the water pump or manifold?

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No.

WATSON and Cirorsi like this.
  24. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Totally correct. However I think they went this route was to use the coolant to get the gearbox oil up to temp quicker. On the challenge cars I think they do have an actual oil radiator.

25. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well that sounds good 2 birds 1 stone. However I think the compromise is doing both jobs poorly. Engineering for street can sometimes be more difficult than race. But getting the last 10ths of a second in race is very hard.