What year 458 to buy? | FerrariChat

What year 458 to buy?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Labman, Dec 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Guys...just sold my 430 Spider and now looking for a 458 Italia. Don't want my next Fcar to be a spider. I have a question: I have a budget so it seems I will be in the market for a 2010-2103. Is there any difference between the years as far as issues or anything like that?
    What I'm looking for is a Rosso Corsa red over tan or black. Tan interior must have tan carpets. LED steering wheel/driver zone a must. Racing seats preferred but not a deal breaker. Is there anything else that is a must for these cars?
    I'm in no rush so I will wait until I find the perfect one at the right price. Thanks!

2. pfl

pfl Karting

Jan 7, 2013
    There are multiple threads about this but 2012 had a major difference as along with other improvements, it had slightly better transmission software as well as from 2012, the 7 year free maintenance was started but the cost of maintenance itself is not that large per year. The prospect of free maintenance however could mean that owners took theirs to the authorized dealers.

I'm sure the rest of the folks will chime in.

3. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    I like the idea of the exhaust burble which existed until a firmware update in 2012, if I've read correctly on this site... Can that be retrofitted, and will it harm the car in anyway if it's done on a 2013-2014 model?

Just curious :)

4. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So what is the major difference here? Don't all the 458's get the same software updates?

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Some 10-11's didn't get reflashed and they sound so much better.
    Cannot be retrofitted.

You have the right options priorities.
    Just get a 12 or 13 and all is good. Bulletproof cars.

6. dragstar1106

dragstar1106 Rookie

Dec 13, 2011
    Germany, Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Andreas H.
    Hi Labman,
    i bought my 458 Italia few weeks ago, comes from 12/2011 incl full maintenance in rosso corsa with racing seats and fully carbon interior... and I'm absolutely happy. My last car was also a 430 Spider .....
    regards from germany

7. mdslone

mdslone Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    South
    Full Name:
    FerrariM
  8. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
  9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Differences are relatively minor. Some say the 2012+ cars have upgraded transmission control units that make them less prone to failure. I'm hoping it's not that marked a difference since my car is a 2010. More significant is getting the colors and options combination you want. Red over tan or black should be relatively easy to find, but you will be surprised how other people's tastes and option choices differ from your preferences. Good luck and happy hunting. A good deal of the fun is the chase!

10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

If you are interested in the Sarasota car , I live in Sarasota and would be happy to put my eyes on it for you. Disclaimer : I have no affiliation with the dealership. But I have lived in Sarasota for 33 years.

11. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    MY is a non-issue when buying a 458, imho. In practice, we're basically talking about software versions. Get the one you like the most in terms of color, mileage, history and equipment. All you get post 2012 is free 7-year maintenance. Nothing to do with the actual car, but your wallet.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

12. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    My 11 sounds light years better than my buddies 13, everyone comments it as well when we are out and driving.

13. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Is this because your '11 software wasn't updated? One thing I really loved was how my 430's exhaust burbled when my valves were open. I will be adding a remote valve controller to the 458 like I had on my 430.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    No idea if mine has or hasn't been updated. I just know that ive spent hours in his 13, and 7,000 miles in my 11 and they sound nothing alike.

15. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I believe the 458 has several ECUs. If you say nothing, Ferrari will update them all. I believe the engine's ECU may not be updated upon request even if everything else gets updated. I think engine's ECU can be singled out in a software update event. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

16. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #16 Labman, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Thanks for the info here guys. I heard the only thing that can really go wrong with the 458 is the gearbox. Is this true and anyone here know of any that failed? Personally I know many guys with 458's and haven't heard of one issue like this yet.

The hunt goes on...

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Should not be so difficult to have somebody reprogram the eproms or just copy one from 2010 ?

Not anyone here ??

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    It's been discussed and nobody can do it.

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    People copied the eproms of the 512TR and 512M .... like we did in the 80's with first PC's ...

20. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ferrari won't reverse it. Several aftermarket companies tried and failed very badly. Copying from a 2010 won't work as there is a copyright on the software. Only way to get a real authentic sounding Ecu is to find a car that has it

21. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Shame that. I do have a hankering to own a 458 one day, and if the pre 2012 firmware results in pops and burbles like my 360 Tubi, I would 'prefer' that. But as I'd buy after market, I wouldn't have too much say (just luck of the market and being in the right place at the right time). Having said that, I have not driven a 458 yet, and have rarely seen (and heard) one. I may end up just as happy with stock exhaust and +2012 firmware for all I know.

22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    just get a novitec exhaust - the pops will come back

Baptist likes this.
  23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Or buy two 2010 458 ECU's from a broker ?

24. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Exhaust Bypass Valve Controller Kit

25. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY