What's a favorite food of yours that you struggle to find good examples of | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's a favorite food of yours that you struggle to find good examples of

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by TeamF1Jr, Aug 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Have you found any good Italian restaurants in Dallas?
    Me too. There's a lot of pizza that just sucks but there are a few in Dallas that do the trick

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Our best friends love Italian, and so when they visit, I'll either cook or we go to Cafe Italia in Grapevine. They do the basics well, and no frou frou. Nice family joint. Biggest advantage? You can bring your own wine, and no corkage fee! So, we let our friends pick some great Italian wines @ Goody Goody and then we go to Cafe Italia!

Where's the good pizza?

T

3. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Goody Goody in Addison is our go to for liquor!

We like Cane Rosso for the Neapolitan pizza. Highly recommended. Only issue is their wine list is terrible. I think they are fixing it but it was an issue last time we were there.

I also get the pizza at Taverna at Knox Henderson. Probably not everyone's favorite but I like it. Wine list is good and they have Veuve for champagne so it's always a good time when I go.

4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Funny you say that, today was the first time we went to that particular Goody Goody! Typically, we go to ones in the outer burbs with bigger parking lots, so we can bring the F-car! The Cali boot and back seats hold an impressive amount of booze. That Goody is a bear to find, and pretty nondescript from outside, but inside, Shangri-la!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Which Cane Rosso? Original one downtown?

Now, anyone got a lead on a good N.Y. style bagel in D-town?

T

5. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Funny. Looks like you were at a different Goody Goody. I go to the one by Addison airport.

I like the Cane Rosso downtown but it's so hard to get to (from north Dallas) because of 75 traffic. I'll go to the downtown Carrollton location. If they get their wine under control and add a good champagne I'll become a regular. For now it's once/twice a month and that's about to decrease since we are so fed up with the wine situation

For Bagels, I just eat Einstein Bros. I just don't know any better :)

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

That was taken earlier. The Goody up in Frisco.
    T

7. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    I hate I didn't know about that when I was recently in Grapevine. Instead, we tried the Maggiano's in NorthPark Center. Good service and large portions, but I wasn't particularly impressed with the food.

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Sorry, Chip! Shoulda PMd me. Ferrari's is also good. Yep that's the name, Ferrari's. More upscale. Also near the airport. I give the nod to Cafe Italia though thanks to their generous BYOB policy. Can get some great Italian reds without the upcharge, and the only issue is someone has to be the designated driver.

And, just in case, there's an excellent Goody Goody wine store near DFW airport. In Colleyville. That way, you ain't left wanting next time y'all invade the Metroplex.

T

9. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    We had some fine dinners at Nick & Sam's and Five-Sixty, but my picky 12 year-old daughter's favorite meal was finally getting to try In-N-Out!

10. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Canada has zero and I mean zero good Tex Mex.
    No good Mexican either.
    It's a shame.

11. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It has been impossible for me to find a good Chicken (or Veal) Parmigiana outside of New York. The closest I have found was at Carbone in Hong Kong but that was expected as that's originally out of NYC.

I would kill for one right now ... :)

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I lust for good EGGPLANT parmigiana! Spoiled by the finest I ever had made by the ex mother in law.
    Nothing but soggy, bitter or greasy served in the restaurants, even noted Italian restaurants.
    My own attempts are even worse.

13. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    I suppose much of this predicated on where you live....sometimes its tough to find things that can be called regional...and frankly what one person may consider the best (fill-in-the-blank) someone else may find ordinary....
    but I agree with people who have a hard time finding really good produce that reminds them of their youth....that clean distinctive flavor...that you enjoyed when it was the season!...now you can get anything at any time from any where....but it doesn't mean you should :)

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    As a child, I spent the summer at my grandma's house in Brooklyn. I could remember back then, you couldn't get peaches except in summer. Grandma loved peaches, and so did I. When they were first available at the local grocery store, it was peaches 24-7. The best was homemade peach ice cream. They'd start off kind of lame, but you missed them for so long, you didn't care. When they were gone, it was sad.
    T