What's For Dinner? | Page 379 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    That's what I would have guessed...My hope that all three would cook at roughly the same amount of time at 400F were dashed;

First place - the mushrooms cooked in ~20 minutes
    Second place - the red onions cooked in ~30 minutes
    Last place - in a shocker, the pre-cooked, pre-made potato took ~40 minutes solely to get hot throughout.

So I had to pull things out and foil them as they were done. But, otoh, I did save putting two small baking pans into the dishwasher ;)

These items were joined by a grilled porterhouse that I later took off the bone and served sliced - ala Peter Luger :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

All tasted great - did I mention that the gf likes a few chives with her potato! But, then she is Polish, so I defer to her on all things potato :)

SoCal1 likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    In the days of your that's why Corn Flakes were added to fried chicken batter. To up the crunch factor. So, your friends line of reasoning makes sense.

T

3. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Very interesting. Was the tater frozen?

Wow, that is chive-tastic!

I'm in the road, so eating like a king.

T

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
  5. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    From the recent photos, Ikm jonesin’ for a nice steak. I looked up some Heart Brand Akaushi ribeye....$50/14 oz.
    heartbrand.com

@tomc , do you see Heart Brand Beef in your grocers or restaurants near you?

The winter stand-by here. Chicken soup... and a doctored up pork taco left over.
    Studying some as I dine, and catching some good Rock during an album side feature night on Chicago’s finest rock, WXRT.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ron...There are a few restaurants that carry it, I believe. We've had it; ordered it online. We've also had it shipped as gifts. It's fab. The rib eyes were great. I'd get the strips if it were up to me, but you can't go wrong either way...T

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    TexasF355F1 likes this.
  8. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thanks much Tom! I forgot to correct the link in my post after seeing Inhad it wrong ...heartbrandbeef.com

I may order some a piece this winter then. I appreciate your comments on it.

9. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I've eaten in a steakhouse near Seattle that is awesome. They have a butcher shop and sell their steaks. I want to try that but too afraid of screwing them up. Maybe they'll deliver throughout the US. Here's their link: http://www.johnhowiesteak.com/SteakToGo#/Products

Streetsurfer likes this.
  10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Max...if they're dry aged, go for it. If prime, you can likely do better for less money at Costco.

The secret with good steak is to cook it less than you typically do. Season simply - salt and freshly cracked black pepper right before serving. Also, to reduce stress, don't try cooking a mega thick steak.
    T

Streetsurfer likes this.
  11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'd also suggest using the broil method. It's probably the safest way to not screw it up. Imo

tomc likes this.
  12. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    SoCal1 likes this.
  13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    We fired up the pizza oven With coal and hardwood

Fontina, parmesian cheese with sausage and lots fresh garlic. Dough made from fresh ground winter wheat with our own sourdough starter made from grapes. Fresh Basel from the garden.

My mouth is still watering

14. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I copied T last night and had a shrimp PO boy at the French bistro near my house. My fries however poutine. It was ok. I like their beef dip better. Pizza the other night from a local indi place, meat lovers.

15. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    darth550 and SCFerrari like this.
  16. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Hit a chain here called White Spot. Had a clubhouse. Service was horrible. Waitress disappeared after taking my order. It was so bad, did the rare left no tip!

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Looks great.

OK, I've always wondered, where did you get coal for a pizza oven? My aunt always said I'd get some from Santa for having a sassy mouth! But Santa never delivered.

T

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The cross-hatch Meister delivers once again. After 2 weeks on the road, just a simple homemade pizza (heated up from frozen) and a couple of glasses of Nouveau Beaujolais.
    View attachment 2644336

T

19. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Welcome back Tom!

Highlights from your Cruise?

(Too bad you missed Luizzas...next time)

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The place we went to did a good po boy. It's in the warehouse district. About 2 blocks inland from the convention center. Po boys were not as good as some we've had like Domilise's or Johnny's, but it was a fun bar. A mix of locals and tourists.

I don't think I took any pics of cruise food, but we followed our usual modus operandi of sticking with Indian and Asian food. I think the wife is tired of taking me to steak, Italian, etc. restaurants and listening to me carp that I can do better! Also, most of the ship's cook staff are from Asia & the Subcontinent so I'm sticking with the food that their mommas made for them growing up.

The ship we were on had a nice little noodle bar, that was largely ignored by the hordes of families with kids. They did a nice Singapore noodles. Go pho-like soups. So, we ate there three or four times.

T

21. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    LOL!

(I suspect a number of us resemble that remark)

tomc likes this.
  22. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Welcome back T...……

I was in Eastern Washington last Thursday to Sat. So mostly chains. Did a local BBQ joint there. Baby back ribs, good rub, enjoyed them. Last night did spaghetti and meatballs from a local joint. It was ok.

My brother, SIL and nephew are in Disneyland for Christmas. So we don't have to do the Christmas Eve at a Chinese restaurant for the SIL. So prime rib it is. My mother is cooking it. She does an awesome job! Got some banking to do down south today, should be a zoo and fun! Making a pit stop at Popeyes for lunch. Stop at the mall for Cinnabon's for Christmas morning.

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, Max. Sounds like a ton of activity. Hope you're holiday is an excellent one.

Our best friends are in town. They and wife requested a traditional Feast of the Seven Fishes.

Sweating veggies for cioppino. Five of the Seven Fishes in one dish: mahi, haddock, shrimp and scallops. The broth contained sardines, but not revealed to wife and our guests until after the meal, as there would be carping otherwise.

Finished fish stew. Yummy if I say so myself. Followed grandma's # 1 rule - when in doubt, use more garlic.

Smoked salmon pizza a la Wolfgang Puck.

Pizza with anchovie sauce.

Santa! This is the one decoration my mother kept from when we were kids. When she passed, I took possession of it. Always puts a smile on my face.

Good foods and good friends and good wine (2014 Justin Isosceles). These are blessings we dreamt about as kids growing up in Brooklyn. Merry Xmas F-chat foodies; may your holiday be one of great joy, shared with friends and family.

T

24. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Thanks T...… Happy Holidays everyone!

25. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming