What's For Dinner? | Page 871 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Did you add the balsamic vinegar to the roasted Brussels sprouts? I need to try that - love them roasted. All of ^ looks fantastic.

boostedt0y likes this.
  2. AtomicPunk88

AtomicPunk88 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Had my brothers and nephew in town for Thanksgiving. On Wednesday night I made them the maple-orange glazed roast duck I’ve posted before in this thread. For an appetizer, I made this beef tartare that came out great.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Boy oh boy...ain't food great?

MANDALAY and AtomicPunk88 like this.
  4. boostedt0y

boostedt0y Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Yes, once the sprouts are roasted I put them in a bowl and tossed the sprouts in a few table spoons of balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper to taste.

NbyNW likes this.
  5. boostedt0y

boostedt0y Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    MANDALAY, No-Subt2, Raconteur and 2 others like this.
  6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There's a decent buffet that F-chatters turned us on to down near Dallas, which is a buffet, but we are not discerning palates when it comes to Indian. Tex-Mex on the other hand, connoisseurs! :D

We were in El Paso, visiting with friends. Our friends like to eat out, so the wife saw to it they got some good home cooked meals. :) They only eat fish, so we made shrimp & pasta one night and fish tacos another night. No pics.

The suburban adventure vehicle - AKA Opie - on the way to EP.

One day, the wife and I stopped off at a place recommended to us by a friend who grew up in west Texas.
    Tamales Lupita in the small town of Canutillo. It was a mob scene, which is always a good indicator of how good the food is.
    Cheese and green chili tamales, pictured above. Not pictured - puerco (pork). We also ordered carnitas, corn tortillas, and barbacoa. Jury still out on the last two items, since it was more food than we can finish. But, the tamales were absolute fantastic.
    The bag says the Mexican food capital of the World! I'm not gonna argue with them.
    Definitely worth a stop, if your travels bring you to I-10 near the NM/TX border.
    T

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice!
    Have wanted to try a fried turkey. How did it come out? Whatcha do with all the leftover oil?
    T

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Epic. A Tomahawk roast!
    Never seen that before.
    T

NbyNW likes this.
  9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I've been doing it for many years. I like it a lot. About 3 minutes/pound frying. And you always get the best part of any turkey as far as I'm concerned, crunchy skin. :) I tried dry brining this year, just put some salt on the turkey and let it tit uncovered in the fridge for two days.

The oil is a bit messy to get rid of. I made a mess in my Dad's driveway yesterday. Mainly because I forgot to take a big funnel to pour it back into the jugs. Oh well. Then to get rid of it, the dump by me has a oil recycling, one for motor oil and one for cooking oil. So I just take it there, dump it and recycle the jugs.

tomc and Raconteur like this.
  10. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I continue to use the oil in my deep fryer...peanut only...but recontainer and I use for a few months refilling my deep fryer...althought it only holds..hmmm...maybe a gallon or so. Cheers! At the price of peanut oil...$60 per 4 gallons yeesh...
    ps: deep fried turkey is great...I snack on the carcuss for days in front of the boob tube

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Do you filter the peanut oil between uses?
    T

12. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes it has gotten VERY spendy. When I started doing it probably 20+ years ago it was not very expensive, you could find a 5 gallon jug for about $30. This year I found two 3 gallon jugs at about $48 each. I also bought a new burner since the hose on mine was so old I was starting not to trust it. So yeah well over $100 to fry one turkey.

I've saved it in the past and thought about using it for something else but never really did use it. I have heard deep fried prime rib is pretty good though. Hmmmm?!?
    :)

BrettC likes this.
  13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My wife would kill for that plate.

When I was a kid and my mother would season the ground beef for her meatballs she would have to shoo me away from eating it. Today, I have no appetite for steak tartare.

It's funny how our (or at least mine) tastes change with age.

AtomicPunk88 and tomc like this.
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My grandmother would give us little hunks of seasoned meatball mix - and Italian bread dipped in tomato gravy - to get us to stop pestering her while she was preparing Sunday dinner!

Leftover barbacoa from Lupita's with homemade pickled green tomatoes and chilies.

T

15. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    No I don't. I use the oil in my fryer for 3 weeks or so...so a few times..then discard, clean fryer and start again.

16. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Their online menu looks insane in the number of options!

Culinary experiment last night! Australian wagyu picanha vs. Nolan Ryan (Kroger prime-ish) strip steak. Wagyu on left.

Much nicer color on the wagyu on the left, after initial turn.

A little more done than I'd like in order to appease the wife. Good flavor on both, better for the wagyu as you might expect. Biggest difference was that the strip was tender, but the wagyu picanha was almost literally fork tender.

T

18. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Last night was lasagna take out. Tonight Safeway fried chicken.

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Don't forget the potato wedges, Max!
    T

max930 likes this.
  20. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    They didn't have them this time. But I bought a bag of Arby's curly fries in the frozen foods section. Those are excellent in the air fryer. Bought some Beaver horse radish. My Brother, SIL, and nephew are coming on Dec 8th. Plan to make prime rib for my brother.

tomc likes this.
  21. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I was hungry after the dog park. Stopped at Popeyes and did the drive-through. Got chicken strips. Sinned. Have seven or so Chick-Fil-A sauce packets in the glove box. Used the sauce for my chicken strips.

tomc likes this.
  22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    slm likes this.
  23. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Tonight is pork tenderloin cut up and breaded. Fried and served with egg noodles and a mushroom sauce.