What's Maui like? | FerrariChat

What's Maui like?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by 3POINT8, Mar 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Hi - we are thinking of going to Maui for a week next month. What's it like there as far as restrictions? Do you have to wear masks at the beach? Are most things open? I've read all the requirements but I was wondering what it's like there from someone who is there?

2. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    I’m not on Maui. Here is the view from Oahu. Maui is experiencing a bit of a surge right now. Not bad by mainland standard but it is the worst in the islands at the moment. A mask is required on the beach, and in every public place, outdoor and indoor. If you don’t wear a mask you should expect substantial hostility from the people who live on Maui, and who do not appreciate the tourists bringing COVID-19 to their island and disregarding local rules. Wear a mask and socially distance, and you will be welcome. You will need to check the rules regarding Covid testing carefully, or you will end spending your time in isolation.

I hope you can make it, I hope you’ll be careful, and I hope you have a great time!

54greg and SAFE4NOW like this.
  3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    If you need a rental car, try and reserve that before getting your tickets. Read an article that there is a shortage of rental cars in the US. The writer searched for a rental on Maui and could only find a Tahoe at $500 a day.

4. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Not Maui specific, but just got back from 10 days in Kona, it was awesome. Main advice is do your covid test before flying very carefully. Read and reread their byzantine instructions. Here's how I almost screwed mine up: you're required to take a test within 72 hours of boarding. So I bought the at-home kit from a HI-trusted vendor and scheduled my online video call/test for 71 hours before I boarded at DCA. However the online monitor person mentions (after I take the test!) that it's 72 hours before you board the leg that departs the mainland, in my case SEA-KON 78 hours from when I took the test. I start getting a little upset (at myself for not reading instructions better) and the monitor says "don't worry, I'll write down the time you took the test as 4pm, not 9am" I say great, thanks. But the vendor receipt email says test time = 9am. Whatever, I find an in-person location with an approved partner and pay for another test the next day, which may be too late depending on how long the lab might take to report. After taking that second test, I sweat for a day at the possibility of losing money or time in HI because of this snafu. Then the first vendor sends me the official digital receipt with negative result, test time = 4pm. Whew!

Masks seemed situational, in many uncrowded places folks were not wearing them, locals and tourists both. Most things were open, but several shops I'd visited in the past had permanently closed. I recommend whale watching boat tour (google "competition pod"!) and night manta snorkel was amazing. Have fun!

5. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Honolulu currently has a case rate of about 5 per 100K and a test positivity rate of about 1.8%. Maui currently has a case rate of about 16 per 100K, and a positivity rate of 3.1%. In short, Maui is experiencing a bit of a surge and is concerned about it. Masks may seem situational, but you should expect the rules to be taken seriously.

Here are some excerpts from the Maui mask rules:

From Exhibit J to the State’s Seventeenth Proclamation --

All individuals shall wear face coverings over their noses and mouths when in public settings. The only exceptions to this requirement are:
    • Individuals with medical conditions or disabilities where the wearing of a face covering may pose a health or safety risk to the individual;
    • Children under the age of 5;
    • While working at a desk or work station and not actively engaged with other employees, customers, or visitors, provided that the individual’s desk or workstation is not located in a common or shared area and physical distancing of at least six (6) feet is maintained;
    • While eating, drinking, smoking, as permitted by applicable law;
    • Inside private automobiles, provided the only occupants are members of the same household/living unit/residence;
    • While receiving services allowed under a State or county order, rule, or proclamation that require access to that individual’s nose or mouth;
    • Where federal or state safety or health regulations, or a financial institution’s policy (based on security concerns), prohibit the wearing of facial coverings;
    • Individuals who are communicating with the hearing impaired while actively communicating (e.g., signing or lip reading);
    • First responders (police, fire fighters, lifeguards, etc.) to the extent that wearing face coverings may impair or impede the safety of the first responder in the performance of his/her duty;
    • While outdoors when physical distance of six (6) feet from other individuals (who are not members of the same household/living unit/residence) can be maintained at all times; and
    • As specifically allowed by a provision of a State or county COVID-19 related order, rule, or proclamation.

From the Office of the Mayor, County of Maui --

Face covering. The requirements of Governor Ige’s Seventeenth Proclamation are incorporated herein by reference, and in the case of any difference in these Rules and the State’s Proclamation, the more stringent or comprehensive shall apply.

Pursuant to Exhibit J to the State’s Seventeenth Proclamation, individuals are not required to wear face coverings “while outdoors when physical distance of six (6) feet from other individuals (who are not members of the same household/living unit/residence) can be maintained at all times.”

As a general guideline, “if you have to ask, wear a mask.”

Within Maui County, this exception applies:
    1. When persons are stationary and adequately separated, such as occupying a pool lounge chair, beach chair, or towel.
    2. Face coverings must be worn while walking to and from the pool or beach area and may only be removed once the person is stationary and adequately separated from non-household members.

This exception does not apply, and face coverings are required:
    1. On sidewalks, hiking trails, and in parks and similar areas, unless actively engaged in strenuous outdoor physical activity, provided adequate physical distancing is both possible and practiced.
    2. In any open-air or partially open mall, marketplace, lobby, atrium, gas station, or similar facility.
    3. Where specific facility rules, such as for sports, bars, and restaurants, are established.

More requirements re contact tracing apps for your phone and pre and post arrival testing are here: https://www.mauicounty.gov/2417/Travel-to-Maui-County

6. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    #6 Supernaut, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    Bob, agree everything you are saying is accurate. I was speaking in generalities answering OPs question on what is it like. That was the reality on the ground in the big island last week. I chose my words very carefully, and did not describe what I did or did not do (except the pre boarding test where you can see I did everything to comply with their Byzantine rules-forgot to mention my second test was also negative). Never intended to tell him what to do or not do except for the marine activities.

OP if you really read all the requirements you know that they are like Bob’s post times ten (he didn’t get into the state pretravel or vendor test reqs). Did not personally witness any hostility on the big island towards the maskless. Rental cars were plentiful but expensive 6 weeks out. Would I go again during covid? Sure, it was a blast and covid didn’t impact the activities we chose much at all.

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  7. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    John: Thanks for your comments above. Your experience with testing was particularly helpful. I have friends planning travel to Hawaii and I told them of your experience, which I think was an eye-opener for them. You may have saved them from a frustrating and embarrassing mistake! Thank you.

Interesting article in Hawaii News Now today (March 30), apropos of our discussion above, headlined -- "'If you can’t obey our rules, don’t come’: Maui mayor has stern warning for visitors" The full quote from the article:

[Mayor Victorino] “You see these people on the beach back here, they’re visitors and they’re not wearing masks,” he said. “I tell you right now, as far as I’m concerned if you can’t obey our rules, don’t come if you can’t wear a mask or do what is right.”

He added, “I don’t care if you come from Texas, I don’t care if you come from Mississippi, or any state that doesn’t require it. Here in Hawaii and Maui County, it is a mandate.”

Here is the link:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/03/30/if-you-cant-obey-our-rules-dont-come-maui-mayor-has-stern-warning-visitors-ignoring-covid-protocols/

Supernaut likes this.
  8. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Now $1000 a day. My suggestion, just buy a car and dump it at a sales lot after.

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I had posted the question (regarding restrictions) in a Hawaii forum and received the following response:

We've been debating a trip, and was concerned it be a bit over the top in Hawaii. However, seems to be nearly the same rules as Cancun when I went a couple of months ago. If the beach isn't too crowded you wouldn't have to wear the mask (bc you're able to social distance). At hotels you don't have to mask in your hangout area, but you do when you walk between there and anywhere else. In other words, restaurant rules.

I appreciate you all who are sharing info from boots on the ground! We're still 50/50. Seems like tons of people are trying to go, and I typically avoid going to places during peak times, but some close friends of ours are going who we haven't been able to spend a lot of time with due to my work. That's our incentive (barely) to pay premium, and deal with a bit more crowds plus CV inconvenience factor.

10. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Just got back from 8 days at the four seasons in Maui. Every hotel is packed with people. My impression is people are tired of being cooped up, can’t travel internationally, so Maui is the next best place. Rental cars are impossible to find, no Uber/lyfts and cabs are very scarce. It is also difficult to get reservations at restaurants. In regards to the restrictions it was no big deal. Get tested 72 hours before arrival and upload the negative results and you breeze thru the security. Wear your mask when you are out and about and that’s it. With all that being said it is Maui so you are in Paradise.

VAF84 likes this.
  11. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Thanks for the updated report! My friends decided to still go. However, we switched to Costa Rica. Not so much bc of restriction, but because I noticed the crazy demand for limited vacation related resources. I’d rather experience Hawaii for the first time when the hospitality sector is a little more normal.

mkraft3003 likes this.
  12. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Maui is experiencing large clusters of C19

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm planning to be in Oahu in late August. Been awhile since I was there, as I typically go to Maui, but what's the buzz on the street vis-a-vis COVID (last post was April)?

14. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Very low numbers, except in the prisons. Maui Mayor wants airlines to limit # of tourist coming to Maui. Delta variant is in all 4 counties.