What's my car worth? | FerrariChat

What's my car worth?

Discussion in '308/328' started by johnk..., Dec 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #1 johnk..., Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    I was just watching What's My Car Worth. 1988 328 GTB "98" point car with 59k on it. Offers were $22.5K. Turned down. Sold at auction for $31k.

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    For a GTB? Ouch.

3. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Is that high or low for the car?

4. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Those guys were crooks offering $22.5k. Auction brought 40% more. Probably could have brought $35k privately, even though it was high mileage and needed a major..

5. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    They all thought 56K was high mileage. Also, Mark Hyman's comment was interesting, "...regardless of the price nobody would call me because nobody's looking for it, it's an impulse buy"... The auction guy was in a big ballpark - he said $30K-$40K at auction. I played along and thought $37K because it's a "B". Somebody got a solid deal at $31K + the auction commission.

6. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    So he thinks there is no market for the 328's?

7. DWPC

DWPC Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2011
    Sedona AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #7 DWPC, Dec 7, 2011
    The dealers they use are only going to buy something at a wholesale price that they can mark up very heavily, and the auctions featured on the show are more tuned in to a '69 Plymouth or El Camino buyer than a 328 shopper. I'd only put a 3X8 in a specialty auction with mostly Euro sports cars. Besides that, the rough economy has taken a real toll on values, even for the high-end collector cars. I think the TV car auctions are past saturation and will have the same result on specialty car sales that the house flipper shows had on real estate; raise buyers expectations irrationally and put inordinate focus on the trivial.

8. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    The high end collectible cars are going thru the roof right now. Some have taken 25% jumps in the last two years.

Some even double

9. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I think more like HIS customers aren't calling looking for 328s. The other guys all had similar opinions though, and they know what they can or can't sell.

From my personal experience I can tell you that many of the cars I saw for sale when I was looking around this past summer are still on the market. So, demand for these cars does appear to be low, or at least it is weak enough to keep the prices on these cars below what many sellers are asking.

10. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Yes, it is true that the very high end of the market is booming!

11. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #11 AHudson, Dec 7, 2011
    Just finished watching. The car was spotless but the owner made a comment that caused a "look" between the dealers when he said, "... yes the belt service is due, but it's not needed."

Okay.

So the dealers made protected bids based on that rather large "what if", that comes with a liability. The auction company makes no such disclosure nor bears culpability to the degree of the dealers.

Plus, the car had massive eye appeal, and after another beer, bidders could overlook the odometer and belt service.

Showing how much I don't know, I figured it would've brought $34,500. The car seemed a good buy at $31k.

I translated the dealers' comment as no one is calling for higher mileage Ferraris.

12. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    a car is only worth what someone will pay...finding where they will pay the best price is the trick.

13. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Not just the very high end but even the 150-250k colectibles. Lots of movement.

This is what happens with Trillions sitting in cash around the country and no place that really feels secure to put it. 1% or less payouts on interest. Why not buy a beautiful car for fun that could gain value.

14. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    How much do the 3x8 cars cost to service? Belt service etc? Is it like my CS? Less? Or more like the extreme maintenance hogs 355's?

There has to be a point where buyers just can't justify 20% of purchase price every couple of years to maintain. I'm also sure many people buy these cars in the cheaper prices not realizing how much they will cost to fix.

It will mean the non cared for cars will most likely be junked away over the next decade and it will leave only the very good well cared for cars.

15. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Sure there is, but if you want one you're going to buy one. New car depreciation is really kind of similar. These cars can be expensive to maintain, but they are very durable and so far I am finding my car to be very reliable. Not to mention the joy it is to drive!

I think 20% every couple of years is exaggerating just a bit, but it's not that far off if you buy a car with needs you don't take care of right away. If you work it, you can factor those needs into your purchase price to keep your initial investment in line with the market.

16. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Again I know nothing of these cars. I know about 355's and I know the service of my cars. So the 20% was a guess. I assumed 35k car and about 3k per year or 6k every two years for proper service.

17. DWPC

DWPC Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2011
    Sedona AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Booming up from the basement from the steep drop-off of 2008/9; few collectable cars have recovered to their prices of 3-4 years ago prices.

18. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Hi guys,

That car was MINE!!! And it was me on TV!

I have been on Fchat since 2000 and enjoyed many years with my GTB. It won a Coppa Bella Macchina at Cavallino and a platinum at FCA. Both 98 points.

I am an IAC/PFA national senior Ferrari judge and know 328s very well. I have judged dozens of 328s and only very rarely do I see one as nice as mine, regardless of mileage. A few comments....and the realities of the market.

After 5 years of contemplation, I decided to sell the 328. I wanted more time to spend with my 1967 330GT 2+2, and I just bought a BMW 1M. I listed it with a well known broker, and at the time I didn't realize the mileage penalty on the value because the car was so nice. After 2 months we got NO inquiries, not one!

My broker kindly freed me to sell at auction and I got on the TV show. Free of his commission I could sell it at a lower price on the show (no commission), or at a very reasonable pre-negotiated commission at their auction. My friend sat with the car for 2 days prior to the auction and everyone walked away when they heard the mileage. No interest.

Please realize that the main reason to sell was I wanted to be free of the recurrent and necessary maintenance costs, which I estimate at $100,000 for the rest of my life! My comment on the major service is that a car that is stored well and driven every 2 weeks doesn't need belts changed every 5 years, in fact my mechanic did not want to do it for a year or two.

I decided to let her go at $31,000 because I actually wanted to sell it, because this is what the market will bear, because I had several thousand dollars invested in the weekend, and because I was unlikely to do any better once you factor in the continued cost of trying to sell it. Your first offer is often the best offer!!

Thanks for reading,

Dan Reese

19. Designstar

Designstar Karting

Oct 30, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    Micheal
    I have been watching the 328 market looking to buy for over a year. I have spoken to brokers, F-dealers and independents all over the country trying to put together a "fair market value" matrix for these cars. Of course these cars are worth whatever someone is willing to pay, but my summation is that the cars priced are fair market value are turning and the cars priced over are not. The seller on the show seemed pretty forlorn to have let the car go for that price.

20. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    What's the serial number of your car? The offer you received was a lowball insult, unless your car is in pieces. And on fire. And titled in Nigeria.

21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    my car is titled in Nigeria, but if you give me $1,000 I can get it titled in the US in your name.

22. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Great! Where do I send the check?

23. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    its ok. As i stated in another thread: I bought a black tan 87 328 gts in great shape(47k miles, documented since it was new) that needed a major for $26k in March this year. I was hit, car was totaled by Hagerty, they got offer on the car for $15,100 as salvage for parts from someone ( T Rutlands?)

The market is, what it is, hence my rants on the fantasy asking prices on some QV and GTSi 2v cars right now.

This is still a crap economy, with many bad things still lurking in the air.

cash is king and 20+ year old Ferrari's are a pure toys.

my books, tools, jack kit, tool kit and spare for my car will be on Ferrariads for sale by this weekend. :)
    There ARE better cars out there for the money.

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Carreaper,

Really sorry for your car...
    You are an early bird...its about 11h30 here, so six hours less in the States...

Economy is not good either in France, but as for 328 prices...

Speaking about asked prices (sales must be about 5% less, I guess)

The bracket is about 40.000 to 45.000 euros for a good to excellent GTB
    42.000 to 47.000 euros for a good to excellent GTS.

Add more or less 2500 euros if the car is absolutely pristine or with a very low kilometrage (same as mileage, but in kilometers...)

One or two GTs have an asked price above 50.000 euros.

328 hold their value rather well; the top end of the 328 range is touching the bottom end of the 355 range now.

best,

25. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You know, I wonder about 328 prices. I thought $31k was low which is why I put up the thread. I live about 10 miles form Wayne Carini's shop (F40 MotorSports). He has an 89 S, red/black, with 22.3k on it and is asking $53K. He also had a 89 S, red/tan, with 7k on it that he was asking $72.5k for. Ferrari Market letter places pre 89 cars in the mid 30's and 89s in the mid/low 40s. I don't know what the selling price on the low mileage 89 was. But both asking prices seem excessive. Miller Motor Cars has an 89 with 6.2k on it, asking $73k. Another 89 with 16.4k for $68.9. Ferrari of Long Island an 86 with 8k for $69.9, Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale an 88 with 7k for $69.9. Yes, these are lower mileage cars, but are these guys dreaming? Oh well, Ferrari asking prices never make much sense.