What's the correct windshield for a 308 GT4? | FerrariChat

What's the correct windshield for a 308 GT4?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dyerhaus, Mar 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    As my car is being restored, there's a good chance the windshield could break when they attempt to remove it, so I'm looking into windshields to see how obtainable they may be.

Turns out, there’s quite a few options:

Clear
    Green
    Green with Blue Tint
    Green with Green Tint
    Clear with Blue Tint

Would anyone happen to know what windshield is correct for a 1975 US-Spec model? Or, how I can find that info out?

The Tav lists these, but this isn't very helpful as I'm not sure what it all means:

40023202 - Vale fino alia 1480-Vale per AUS
    40040503 - Vale fino alia 1480-Non vale per AUS (tinted)
    40314205 - Vale dalla 1481-Non vale per AUS (tinted blue band)

https://www.dinoparts.com/en/parts-accessories/ferrari/208-308-gt4/glass/front-screen/

2. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I can't help with which windshield but make sure that you (or the restoration shop) uses a really good glass guy. My son was in the collision business and he had a couple of particular glass contractors that he always used often over the objection of the insurance company. They were more expensive but they were very passionate about doing the job 100% correct. The glass industry is full of hacks and lowest cost providers, their main business is used car lots, a quick botch job for cheap.

I used my son's best for a reseal of the rear window on my pickup truck and for an insurance claim for the windshield on my daily driver (had the fight my insurance co. on that, they wanted me to use their crappy "preferred" provider), both jobs were expertly done.

Looking forward to restoration photos.

prober34 likes this.
  3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I believe early where green no banding on top

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  5. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    I was told the same thing about the window breaking when I started with mine. They did break the window and I had to get another one. I got mine used from someone in Lodi, CA, who had a wrecked gt4 and was getting rid of the parts. When I went to pick it up I asked, "How did you get the window out? I was told they 'always' break". He said, "They don't break. If you're patient you can get them out without breaking them. If you're not patient, then it's easy for it to get broken - but it is not difficult to do if you're patient.".

I paid $800 for a good used one. I believe you can get them from Eurospares (if they still exist - I haven't looked at Ferrari stuff in awhile), or you might try GT Car Parts. I know there are (or used to be, 5 or 6 years ago) several places to get a new windshield for a gt4.

Good Luck!

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As posted Sigla, was OEM, but I think Pilkington is the only manufacturer offering replacements.

absostone likes this.