What's your stance on high-speed pursuits? | FerrariChat

What's your stance on high-speed pursuits?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by jaymeeh, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jaymeeh

jaymeeh Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    Los Angeles
    After reading about yet another innocent death related to a high-speed pursuit in the LA times today, I find myself questioning the value/logic of these pursuits. I'm curious as to where everyone stands on this... Should the CHP/local police pursue these attention-craving lunatics? Are there no other alternatives? When is it "appropriate/necessary" to chase?

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    A friend of mine is a helicopter cameraman for FOX news, here in LA. They have been instructed to film these chases at any cost (for ratings). I asked him one time why the (sometimes) gorry endings are always edited out. He told me that the station has been instructed NOT to air these shootings...due to violent content. Seems to me, this is why most people are watching in the first place.

Typical media. Contradictory at best! First, the stations encourage these idiots to run from the cops to get on TV while they could be saving lives by showing how these guys can get killed for their trouble!

Or better yet, NOT show it in the first place!

DL

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry

I think they need to quit chasing them & ram them off the road the first chance they get.

4. F355guy

F355guy Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Full Name:
    John P.
    If they don't chase them then crminals are getting away with a crime. Sometimes chasing them can cause fatalities. But if no one stops them, then who will? If people are willing to commit a crime (high speed pursuit), then they should be stopped. That just means they are putting people's lives endangered already.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I think the overall aspect of the fleeing and aluding goes to our roots in a cowboy like fassion. I think for the vast majority of the situations, allowing the flee-er to flee is better for society than to leave dead bodies strewn across the route of pursuit. For the vast majority of flee-ers, they will get caught either next time, or before too much time has elapsed, and face enhanced charges once found. In addition once the car license has been read, for the most part, you can simply drive to the place of residence and simply wait them out. However:

If the innocent was the flee-er, then he is/was not innocent, and got their due.

If the flee-er did cause bodily harm to another then he should pay the piper (face manslaughter charges) on top of everything else

If the police chasing the aluder caused the bodily harm, then the officer should pay the piper (face manslaughter charges) and let a jury decide

I could also support a measure to up the manslaughter charges to second degree murder if the speeds were 25 MPH over posted limit and to first degree murder if the speeds were over 50 above posted limit. For either the flee-er or to the police officer or both.

6. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    Well said f355guy, there is not much else that can be done other than chasing them.
    MD

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    High Speed pursuits are fun but the Cops need to call the Air Force if they expect to catch my 512TR :) There choppers aren't even fast enough :)