When to sell your bikes and quit riding? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

When to sell your bikes and quit riding?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by arachnyd, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    #26 Nader, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You can just change what you ride to fit your different lifestyle and changing appetite for risk. I stopped doing long rides on my old BMW Airhead when I started a family. I was also doing track days on a Ducati 748S, but did less of that as I started racing small displacement vintage Hondas which didn't scare me as much. So the big BMW and the Ducati are gone.

I liked the small old race Hondas so much, that I restored one for street use around the neighborhood and for short errands in town. I liked the size and weight (about 250 lbs), but it only had about 12-15 hp. That got old quick, so I sold it and discovered motards. Specifically KTM.

I can't say enough good things about this style of bike. Weighs about 250 lbs (mine is a converted 525 SMR racebike), but has about 50 hp, and the crazy torque of a thumper. Accelerates as hard as any 600cc sportbike, and the dirtbike suspension is surprisingly great on the street. I love it for short rides and twisties, but wouldn't take it on the highway.

Being so light and nimble is a game changer. So easy to pick up and move around, if I don't like how I'm parked, I can pick up either end and move it. I can push it up hills. Also simplistic, easy to maintain. Very crashworthy if you drop it, because it's basically a dirtbike. Nothing breaks off. I like them so much, I bought another one to race on tracks with my local race club.

I'm not an aggressive rider on the street. But if you are, it makes for an excellent urban assault vehicle. So I've heard. Here's a picture of them. Guess which one is the street bike.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    What are your bikes?

3. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #28 gmonsen, Jan 27, 2017
    I'm 68 and ride one of my bikes every day it's over 60 degrees and sit and stare at them when it's under 60 degrees. :) I've gotten rid of the larger sport bikes and the 13 I've kept are all under 500cc's. I don't want to say life will be over when I can't ride any more, but it won't be as good for sure.

Gordon

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Rock on!

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nice collection! sweet RX7 as well :)

6. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #31 gmonsen, Jan 27, 2017
    Texas... Yep. In my rocking chair...

GuyIncognito... Thanks. The Rx7 runs a somewhat interesting naturally-aspirated 3 rotor motor... ;-)

Gordon

The Kook Abides likes this.
  7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Nice Moto, and they're still in business.

100% Hand Made in Italy - Moto Morini

8. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Morini's are so cool/rare. I sold a restored RZ500 to complete a house I built years ago...still feel sick about that. I still have the RG500 though. Haven't rode much since breaking my Duc 996 in half along with some teeth and bones. Am leaning more towards vintage small displacement stuff with character like a Morini or a Ducati Diana. I can't stress this enough, wear armour when riding (spine guard worked great when I landed on a rock).

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I had a R Zed once. Interesting bike. Power band of maybe 750 rpm, basically you kept shifting gears as fast as you could until you ran out of gears, zero engine braking, I loved it. Reminded me of a total loss ignition Yamaha I raced as a kid. I sold it because it kept getting vibration cracks and I couldn't figure out how to register it in the US.

10. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My old RZ became an "R-Zed" as I sold it to a retired BlackHawk pilot in Florida. It was his dream bike. I had a Yamaha tech rebuild it, installed super duper titanium exhaust, different reed blocks and some other go fast stuff...oh, bodywork was professionally painted. I rode the bike about 100ft after the rebuild....didn't want to wreck it. RG500 is waaay better.

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I always did like the big Suzuki two-stokes.

12. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #37 Zanny1, Feb 1, 2017
    I am 65 and bought my first Harley bagger FLH in 1977. I have ridden virtually all HD touring size bikes from 1948 to 2003 models, some across the country several times. My last bike was a 2003 Harley police bike. Clearly the best model I ever had. Comfortable, reliable, all day cruising at 85 MPH. Loved it.
    3 years ago I just didn't feel right any more navigating a big bike in southern California. The landscape of driving a bike has completely changed. Too many idiots that pay no attention to other vehicles. Even 'out in the country' driving got to be a hassle. Reluctantly, I sold the FLHTP and put away my riding gear.
    Since then, I have moved to rural Arizona. And am thinking about another bike or trike. Here there are many miles of open roads. If you don't want to drive in the city, you don't have to. For sure there are still hazards, but nothing like driving in California.

I asked my son one day, who works as an RN in the County Hospital in Bakersfield California - "what condition brings guys my age into the ER the most?".
    His answer: "Motorcycles".
    Something to think about.

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Next time when you're thinking that someone up ahead is driving slow on purpose, well, they probably are.

(Update for those who haven't seen it)

"Remember that ******* who ran two motorcyclists off a Texas two-lane in 2015, then had nothing to say besides “I don’t care”?"

"William Crum, 69, was arrested on Oct. 19, 2015 as video of his egregious road-ragery went viral. The original clip as since been taken down, but the internet never forgets:"

Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle Finally Sentenced To 15 Years In Prison

14. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    Crum got what he deserved.....and maybe not enough

15. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Never. About 10 years ago after I purchased my 308, I thought maybe I should sell the old zx10. Then I took it for short ride and said, nope. I will never sell it. Though I don't ride it often, I still take it out on some backroads nearby to get my riding fix. It always feels good to ride. I've owned this motorcycle since 1996, not really worth any money and its cheap insurance. Has a special place as I road this cross country twice and is just a very capable real world motorcycle for little money.

Jim

16. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    my sentiments as well. in the big scheme of things...a bike isn't exactly a big chunk of most our net worth. if it brings any pleasure at all...or think it may....just keep it

17. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I am honestly thinking about hanging up helmet for good. I have not ridden my KX in nearly 2 years. I broke my lower back last year and now my right leg is shorter than my left that I "waddle" walking and put all my weight on the side of my right foot. Even trying to ride my mountain bike puts my right pelvis and lower back into pain that I can only ride a few minutes. On top of that the medication that they put me on has caused my equilibrium to be off and I constantly feel like I am going to fall over, even after being off the medication for nearly a year now I still feel the side effects.

That being said I plan on finding vintage motocross bikes and doing full on restorations and selling some at various motorcycle auctions as vintage motocross bikes are starting to draw some good numbers at auction.

while I wont be riding at least I can still enjoy wrenching on bikes.

18. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I quit riding when I bought my Ferrari. I feel much better with my sweetie by me instead of behind me. Any one need a nice Fatboy?

19. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Sold my last bike, a Ducati Monster, a few years back. While I don't miss it as V-engine is too hot where I'm from and the handle bars are too low for city traffic, I do miss motorcycling in general.

Yes, it can be a chore just strapping on your safety gear, but in my opinion, the feeling of driving a motorcycle still can't be beaten by say a convertible especially in open roads.

I think I may get back to riding again soon once I'm able to create some space in the garage as it's occupied by several sports cars at the moment. :)

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Getting on the Bmw gs 1200 r this morning with the wife. Good way to start the new year.

Yes I had to charge the battery :-(

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you make any street legal enduros, let me know. ;)

22. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    anything in particular you are looking for?

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You know, what I would love? Take a modern 500 - 700 twin cylinder and turn it into a modern version of a DT1. The closest I have seen is the BMW. What I would like is a fun play bike, no Ricky Racer stuff. The key though is keeping the bike under say 400 pounds or less. Does that make any sense?

24. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    That would be a big shoe to fill as twin cyl 4 strokes are quite heavy. I would suggest like a KTM E-XCF shorten up the suspension travel and then make it street legal. you can always mellow out the motor with mapping changes gearing and a flywheel weight.

25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But aren’t singles buzzy?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app