Where did Dave Rocks go? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Where did Dave Rocks go?

Discussion in '348/355' started by PaulK, May 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Fchat has done a spectacular job of managing egos over the years as far as I can tell and there's certainly no shortage of them here. Admins are more than fair in my book.

flat_plane_eddie and rob lay like this.
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #27 Ferrarium, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Moderators are usually right more often than not and ban the right people and we all applaud. Yey moderators. Not always though.
    We only have 1 side here.

Something just does not resonate, it can't be that cut and dry can it? There seems like there is more nuance and countour here that were not just privy too and that's fine it's their sandbox.

We would like to see the un-redacted Mueller report on this though. :)

Appreciate the mod efforts though it is hard and often grey it's a tough gig... no doubt.

Ok on to disucss roll over valves:)

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Dave is certainly very opinionated, but level-headed. I would say a fair guy in my books. Seems out of place something as trivial as this would have gotten out of hand. Would love to know his take and thought process as this was transpiring.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

All I know is that there is 1 guy that loves the color yellow and all caps in his ads that is still here and truthfully I wonder how and why;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've been on these forums for fifteen years. I have seen it thrive and also to where it turned into a **** show and turn off a lot of people. It was the moderators whom steered the ship and people like Dave whom added great content and moved it forward. Dave, like Rob, has always been fair to me. When I did the CV boots on my car, I bought the parts though Dave at an unbeatable price. When they came in the factory sent the wrong ones. Dave re-sent them ASAP at his expense to me. To this day, I don't think he made a profit. He didn't complain, protest, or ask for more money. He just did what he believed to be the right thing- taking care of people. Rob has created a community that I am proud to say is my home on the internet. I visit here so many times a day that it is second nature. I can't thank him enough, as well as the mods who do all this for free.

From what I understand the disagreement stems from bumping posts and some ambiguity on what exactly the rules are, and the belief that some seemingly are allowed to break them. I can see both sides because we do need rules here, but there do seem to be other sponsors who do seem to be posting "too much" without any value to add. I don't go counting posts so I can't back that up with empirical fact but its just what my mind goes to. From my viewpoint I have never felt that Dave was over posting. I know there are sponsors here (we ALL know who they are, lets not kid each other, someone else just mentioned them above) who do not ad any content like Dave has done and spam and bump threads solely for them to make money. There are others here who do not even pay to be a sponsor, and blow the forums up with posts in the classified section. I am sure those thoughts will be refuted. But Dave is clearly passionate about Ferraris and helping others. He is also exceptionally knowledgeable. Yes he has to make a living, but I never felt it was excessive, and he was one of the rare sponsors who would make great threads and personally help solve problems- not to mention he actually paid to be a sponsor.

I know my opinion does not really matter here; no side will extend any olive branch to the other. I can't help but feel that both FerrariChat and Dave have put each other at a disadvantage due to this. I implore everyone to reconsider.

ope1967, RonH, MalcQV and 16 others like this.
  6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    PaulK, very, very well said.

PaulK and RossoC360 like this.
  7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    he gets moderated more than anyone, but he seems to learn from his mistakes and is always nice and respectful about it.

PaulK likes this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You have a fair post, but here is what Dave could never grasp and I think will help you understand too.
    • yes, in comparison Dave has been in the guidelines more than not.
    • other sponsors and users have broken the guidelines, a couple way more than others and Dave.
    • just like Dave those sponsors were nicely reminded the guidelines and moderated back where they should be.
    • the other sponsors accepted it, Dave wouldn't.

PaulK likes this.
  9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I have had a fair amount of interaction with him. He has ALWAYS worked with me to adjust his approach and stay within the lines. He has never been rude or obstinate. He's different, that's for sure, but he's also willing to change to stay in alignment with the guidelines here, and works at it.

D

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Ok fair enough. However, did it matter enough to have the guy banned? I mean really truly?

I mean I’ve gone at it with the moderator about classifieds rules, which I think are nutball—but in the end, it is what it is. And I’m complaining about them as a BUYER, not a seller.

The point being, regardless of the rules, if the user base (which is really where the focus should lie) never felt over-spammed or that Dave was out of line or felt that his posts were worthless, then does that particular rule really, truly matter?

Honestly, as a frequent site visitor, I never even noticed his “spam”, but I pretty much stick to three sections for the most part.

Anyway, at the end of the day, as unfortunate as the situation, moderators are gonna do what moderators are gonna do. But as part of the user base—the audience, the posts seemed like not a big deal.

GTUnit, Steve355F1 and PaulK like this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, Dave couldn't accept it, Dave and I both gave him multiple chances and there was no end in sight of his obstinance. we have a large community to run tens of thousands of users and dozens of sponsors, there isn't one that is entitled to special treatment.

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am confused now... but I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, he was banned for being obstinate or banned for spamming? I don't care which and have no skin in the game but your posts are seemingly mixing messages?

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  14. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Spamming and being obstinate over adhering to the rules.

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Dave doesn't have to agree with what is going on, but he should at least respect the rules and accept rules aren't gonna be enforced with 100% accuracy. It's like being caught with a speeding ticket when 5 cars in front of you were going faster than you are. Yeah, I got the ticket and damn right I'm gonna complain about it.... but at the end, it's just trivial drama over a bad day.

I say this warrants a temporary ban. Only if it becomes continuously problematic should it warrant a permanent ban. Let the man cool down. We all have bad days. At the end of the day, Dave is still a genuine passionate Ferrari guy and I believe he puts his Fchat member status as a contributor and participator over his sponsor status.

Full disclosure: I've never bought or used any of his products/services, but I wouldn't hesitate to once the time comes.

RonH, f355spider, Steve355F1 and 4 others like this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Dave was banned for not accepting our spamming guidelines and showing no indication he was sorry or going to stop.

So a little of both.

17. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    EEEEEEEEE?

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    morse code :D

20. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

stuck key. cat was sitting on the ..................................... key. Making him a kitkey cat. :D

taz355 and 285ferrari like this.
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

Yes different ; that was the word I looked for;)

22. Natkingcolebasket69

It does speak volume though that many fchaters miss him and wonder where he is.

bjwhite likes this.
  23. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you Rob and Dave (dm_n_stuff Dave, which btw I still have the Dino stuff you sent me eons ago, thank you again as it was very thoughtful).

I reached out to Dave (Dave Rocks) and based on what is being said on here and what he is saying, I actually do not think this is about excessive posting or bumping threads. I am going to PM Rob about this as its a private matter. Sorry in advance to leave you in the dark!

dm_n_stuff likes this.
  24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    LOL! I don't understand how he came back from his pre-sponsor ban only to promote his products as StickyRX with a similar name to long long time original Fchat sponsor "Sticky No More" and get away with that on Fchat. What would Ferrari do if someone started making cars called Ferari?

25. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yup