Where did Dave Rocks go? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Where did Dave Rocks go?

Discussion in '348/355' started by PaulK, May 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Well this is a bummer. Any chance his account was hacked ...? Ha. He. Heh. :/

2. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    can you get banned for the worst joke on FerrariChat? :p:Do_O

rob lay likes this.
  3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I doubt I'll get banned for that. :D

D

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    It's a two sided coin. I spoke to Dave shortly after he polled the Sticky Rx sponsorship. I consider Dave a friend and in support of Dave I won't be renewing my membership.

ope1967 likes this.
  5. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I was wondering what has happened, Dave is very valuable asset in the Fchat community for his insight and knowledge and at the end of the day that is what this site is or should be all about. Not sponsors. My question to the mods; why cant you ban him from sponsoring or discussing his business on this site (because of his alleged misdeeds) while still allowing him to contribute to the forums? After all, that is why folks come here. And no matter how we feel about the situation I think most here would still like to have Dave back.

Mikegyver, Mechanical Dad and bjwhite like this.
  6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

That question is above our pay grade. Mods, in this instance, didn't ban him, so we can't un-ban him.

D

7. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    This^^^^. Dave and his company StickyRx are what this forum needs. If the FerrariChat mods continue to “ban” quality sponsors they might start to lose their credibility as administrators for this site. And with that lose the interest and patronage of other quality sponsors. Just food for thought. FerrariChat needs sponsors like StickyRx, that is of course if administrators act responsibly and are working toward the continued success of this forum. StickyRx is one company who continues to show that mediocrity is not the norm. Their work is excellent. I think it’s time for someone in power to lose their distorted image of self importance and lighten up.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    two sided coin and you have taken one side, that's obvious. even his friends would understand our side if they saw the complete communication like mods have.

WATSON likes this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's what got him in trouble years ago, he thought it was more valuable not to pay the sponsorship and promote his business for free. actually very similar to this, he feels entitled he doesn't have to play by the same rules as other sponsors whether paying for the exposure or staying within posting guidelines.

285ferrari and dm_n_stuff like this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think you are right although your aim is a little off, if we allow one single sponsor out of 50 to operate outside the guidelines, then the result will be 5, 10, and then 20 will start operating outside the guidelines. Users won't like a spam filled board, other sponsors will get diluted out if they don't do the same, and yes the community as you say will lose "credibility" and "interest".

flat_plane_eddie and dm_n_stuff like this.
  11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#61 dm_n_stuff, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Just to clarify:

1. Mods did not ban Dave L/Sticky Rx
    2. I've been here since 2003 and this is the first sponsor I recall being banned. 16 years, 1 sponsor banned for his behavior. Some have had their sponsorships revoked for non-payment, but none that I can recall, save Dave L. have been outright banned for non-monetary reasons.
    3. It was a command decision that I don't disagree with, but that I would never have taken on my own to do. I do not believe ANY moderator here would even attempt to permanently ban a sponsor, ever.

D

12. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I will give Dave credit that he built a business using Fchat. Interior sticky refinishing was not his idea (Robbie deserves that credit) ......but he did improve the process to include laser engraving. I don't know how much money he actually has made from the Sticky Rx business but it is rarely a good idea to pick a fight with your main marketing channel who is trying to stay neutral.

If you figure that an average sticky repair was $1,500.....two repairs paid for him to be an Fchat Sponsor. If he did 20-30 jobs a year.....he made $30-45K. Maybe he did more but the point is the same: you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Senshi458 and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  13. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I agree that rules are rules but Dave and StickyRx are such a valuable resource for this forum. Can’t both of you reach a common ground and work things out? Was Dave’s (StickyRx) behavior so unforgivable that a permanent ban was the only answer?

bjwhite likes this.
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 you are absolutely right and "permanent" is the name of the software ban setting when an end date is permanent or undetermined, we have unbanned and put a date on hundreds of "permanent" bans.

#2 it could have been left at that, but Dave then proceeded to do about the most unethical and dirty thing ever, he went on a letter writing campaign to users, sponsors, former sponsors, and even our CEO with "his side". that is what I can safely say now determines that we never want someone like that involved in our community ever again. our CEO is a "customer first" person and tried talking to Dave a couple times up to an hour. he is the nicest guy in the world, but Dave pissed him off so much that even if I could accept Dave's return, our company never would.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    So says a competitor.

97 Spider likes this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think you would hear something similar from all other sponsors, reach out to them instead of picking on Robbie. pretty low character to support Dave after what he did, but then attack Robbie who has done nothing wrong in any of this. this "event" is really digging out those of questionable character, I guess our community needed it.

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    That's me, just a pretty low character.

18. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Fair enough. Maybe if members of the forum could hear Dave’s (StickyRx) side of the story by releasing his ban for a couple of days it would sit better with members.

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agree this is all pretty one sided so far; the defense should be able to speak up;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    just like we can share our side with everyone he went on a letter writing campaign with. we were keeping to ourselves and the matter one on one in private. what reason does Dave have to angrily reach out to everyone he can on the outside? honestly just seems Dave is good shooting his foot off and then the other until he's on his knees. he lost one of his best employees over it too.

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #71 johnk..., May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    It's pissing contests like this thread that turn me off to FChat. If this is what I came here for, I'd just turn on the news instead. I suspect everything you are saying about Dave is true, but why did it ever have to escalate to that level. Never should have gotten there.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    there are two sides to every story, but ask any of your moderator friends to confirm the initial communication chain. DM moderated the threads over our guidelines and nicely discussed it with Dave. One of Dave's main problems was we didn't leave the threads and just reach out to him. If he was over the limit or any rules broken otherwise we don't leave them there until we can have a discussion with user that might take days for a response or back and forth. I know an extreme example, but imagine if we left all spam, attacks, nudes, P&R out of bounds, profanity etc "until after you talked first". Everything is soft deleted anyway, in the case a moderator did make a mistake it can easily be recovered. Just like Dave's threads, we could have assisted turning them back on two at a time within the guidelines.

23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Damn. It really got that far eh. Once you piss off the CEO, it’s over. Now I can see why he was banned. Everything else before things escalated seemed trivial and did not warrant a permanent ban.

I’m sure how Dave felt he was treated in the past fueled his reaction. I guess we can all say we understand why Dave reacted the way he did, but when you take things to the next level and start becoming a threat to the organization you’re trying to be apart of, you’ve reached a point of no return.

Sounds like Dave doesn’t even want to come back at this point.

I’d give it time. The situation is way to heated at this point.

bjwhite, mathewr and rob lay like this.
  24. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Need some popcorn ! This is a thriller ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    these sticky situations never fun.