Where did Dave Rocks go? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Where did Dave Rocks go?

Discussion in '348/355' started by PaulK, May 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Long before you were here Rob built an Fchat that sucked you in with your participation. The Loss of DR will mean nothing. All the fanboys know who he is and where he is and can buy whatever you want from him. I got no money in this site. I have just been here from the beginning watching Fchats's amazing growth. It is still the great place it was at the beginning. There are over 20,000 personalities here and a the minority shout louder than the majority. Sponsors and members have come and go. The mere fact that subscribership is active in post count with 5 figures of subscribers tells you Rob is navigating this ship well. It works because he has a clear pulse on the majority and a set of governing rules for all to follow. It is really pretty simple. When you are personally told a rule you have broken just stop breaking it. How hard can that be?

randkin, showme1946, wax and 6 others like this.
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ]

So you haven’t even noticed they were changed back, because like you didn’t know they were changed back most users didn’t know the new rules anyway until moderated and that just caused more headaches.

GatorFL and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Although I dont know you that well Carl you know that statement of the loss of DR will mean nothing is wrong
    Dave will be missed a lot by the 355 group and other groups may be not as much.

Just like you would be missed.

Although i do not allways agree with you, you have and will inthe future provide valuable information.
    Hopefully someday someone would say the same about me.

I know the whole conversation that went down and both parties are correct and wrong.
    This was a real world “no win scenario”
    I feel sorry for both parties and I do not think Dave holds a grudge for fchat nor does Rob for Dave.
    They finally agreed to dissagree and chose to move on.

As Tim said and so should we.

I would like to add althought I personally been on fchat as a guest for many years and then a member, I have not agreed with Rob or other moderators all the time. I do respect the very difficult job they do and I feel they do it very well most of the time so I thank you for that.

Grant

4. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

Rob,

What I have learned......is that nothing good happens without respect. Creating Fchat was and continues to be a very good thing. In my opinion you and your mod team have done a great job of balancing the lunacy with the useful.

Along the way it seems that it is human nature to have issues dealing with other human beings. I make no excuses for Dave.....he knew better than to blow up a business arrangement. The fact he got so indignant and self destructive about it is surprising to a lot of us who interacted with him on the forum. I'll speculate that as a Sponsor you saw a different side of him than we did.

I wish him the best and maybe he can use the free time to figure out the SD2 that he has. I was always curious if you needed a Ferrari secret decoder ring to operate that thing.....

Carry on.

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I just think it could have been dealt with better. I'm not trying to hurt anyone. I just think personalities got involved in a business situation and it could have been handled better. Cooler heads should have prevailed. With that, I out of this thread.

GTUnit likes this.
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I've been here since 2004. How much did I miss?

OK, now I'm done. ;)

97 Spider, bjwhite and dm_n_stuff like this.
  7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    About the same for me.
    A lot of interesting first from about 04 to 07

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Really... I don't recall seeing any evidence to support that claim. One sides version is not the same thing as an accounting its why we have trials. If I missed something in terms of supporting evidence then by all means I apologize but all I read here is hearsay. Perhaps is was something else entirely, maybe personal for example, we don't know do we?

9. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I am a member of a lot of car forums and this one has the most drama I have ever seen. When I saw this thread, I thought someone had dug up an old thread from a few years ago. I was shocked when I read this is new. I always miss the fireworks! I have learned a lot from many folks here, including DR. It is a shame we cant just help each other keep cars running and bite our tongues every so often.

GTUnit, jjtjr and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  10. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I didn’t know anything was changed back. I don’t go to that section to often now. Many of us got the PM about pay up or quit selling, but never seen anything about the monetization attempts being backed off.

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Precisely the reason I don’t bother with the P&R section anymore. The amount of crazy here is nuts. People mostly can hold it together in the regular sections, but you’d be surprised the stuff people post elsewhere.

GTUnit and dm_n_stuff like this.
  12. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Ok so I went and caught up on the rules. I see they only thing changed was they opened the commenting back up to the peanut gallery and trolls. So the actual productive rule is no longer, but the limiting rules are still in affect. As a silver subscriber I can only post 5 individual items for sale a year, no storefront threads etc.

GTUnit likes this.
  13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Really? 5 items a year.

GTUnit likes this.
  14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    if you can't find our rules, then the problem isn't us. ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If you are selling more than 5 items a year, then you are a broker, trader, etc with the exception already mentioned you are selling out your entire collection. Sorry you are upset you are wanting to sell more than 5 items worth how much, but won't pay the extra 9 cents a day. :D

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    have to be subscribed to sell and there were a handful of users operating a collectibles business off $15 a year.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what other car forums are you on?

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    There you go with the sarcasm again. It's my fault that your web site is poorly organized. I'm supposed to know that I have to go to the bottom of the page and select "HELP" to find the RULES if I use the OLD format?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rather than a clear link on the main menu bar that says RULES, or at least TERMS AND RULES on the bottom menus bar. Seriously, I suggest you modify the layout. But if you want to keep the rule hidden in the fine print, so be it.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you have been a user 15 years, the fact you are busting our balls over this is really just proof you have gone toxic wanting to argue to argue and attack us no matter what. Really ridiculous almost every post of yours is trolling the community, we welcome feedback, but why stay around if you hate the community so much? The people that do enjoy the community don't want to hear from the school girl whining all the time.

1) Rules are in the footer, like many websites that have administrative links like that.

2) Rules are in signature of most admins and mods.

3) There are rules linked up top from the drop down menu, but I did just notice they shortened it to "Terms of use" and should be more clear including tag "Rules".

21. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    From a bystander, I will offer this insight on the matter.

I have never met Dave, or have ever even spoken to him, nor have I ever dealt with him on a business level. I know him only through this site. When it comes time for me to refinish my 348 interior, I know Dave is one source and Robbie is another (there is also a 3rd on here but I can't recall his name). I am certain all three are provide exceptional service.

Dave has been (and will always will be) an asset to the Ferrari community. His posts are always very helpful in the threads where owners are looking for assistance and advice (mainly 355s). Of course there are going to be guys on the other side of the fence (FBB for example), whom I respect as much as I respect Dave, however I disagree with FBB when he says that Dave will not be missed. I know Dave is running a few businesses, and the fact that he takes time out of his busy day to add value to 355 owners in their threads without receiving any compensation says a lot about him and his character. I realize there are quite a few like Dave (Ernie is one), but this topic is about Dave and him being banned.

In summary, I find it hard to believe that this is only a case of Dave spamming this board - and remember, that is only one side of the story. And here I thought that in Canada (which is where I live) and in America you are innocent until proven guilty. My bad, I missed when that changed.

My question is: is FerrariChat (and its members) better off now without Dave?

GTUnit and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i never noticed any spamming from dave - he was definitely additive to fchat from my perspective having been here for 17 years. now the ebay adds, those are so annoying its ridiculous.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Rob, please look at the old format. There is no drop down menu other than for media, and no link to rules there. Only HELP in the bottom menu leads to Rules but it requires that the user click it. I did not occur to me that the rules would be in the HELP section. That is why I made the suggestion to add "Terms and Rules" to the bottom menu on the old format, so they would be more visible, as they are on the new format.

And as Mike points out, this thread is about Dave and if FChat is better off without him. I think the consensus is it is not.

GTUnit likes this.
  24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    because the moderators did their job. I think there is a general lack of respect for what moderator do because 99.9% of it isn't seen.

fatbillybob and Booker like this.
  25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    can they look at the ebay adds?

Booker likes this.