Where now? 250PF and 250 GTE | FerrariChat

Where now? 250PF and 250 GTE

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SpyderGT, Mar 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not sure where to post this but thought this as I'm usually hanging out in the 308/328 forum. Moderator, please move or suggest appropriate sub-forum

Wondering where two cars, a 250 PF coupe and 250GTE, might have gone and where the might be today. Unfortunately, I have no photographs. I saw both cars about 1970 (could have 1969 or early 1971) parked on the lot of a gas station on the north-east corner of Government St and Bay St., Victoria, BC, Canada. The gas station was either a Phillips 66 or Pacific 66 station. Being an avid reader of R&T, at the time, I recognized them as Ferraris and spoke to the service station manager. Being a student at the time, they were beyond my reach. Here is what I recall being told.

250 GT PF coupe. Asking price, $2,600. White exterior. Recall interior as being black or medium red. Supposedly a 1960. Had drum brakes, which the manager told me were “special order” for rallying, which I think was unlikely.

250 GTE 2+2. Asking price $2,800. Gray or dark silver exterior. Recall interior as being black or dark red. Supposedly a 1962. Had early “bullet” style separated taillights. I recall it as having “Frenched” headlights, but not certain.

I recall the managers saying the cars had been imported from California, although the 250 PF might have come from Europe via California. The cars sat on the lot for some time be both seemed to be sold at the same time. I never saw the cars after that. A few years later, when asking some local car guys, I heard that the 250 PF had sold to a “young guy” living elsewhere on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, possibly Nanaimo. The story I then heard was tat the engine required a rebuild and swapped out for a V-8. I heard nothing on the 250 GTE.

Thanks
    Jon

2. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Have gone through the GTE register and did not find such a GTE in Victoria. Sorry!

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Sounds like 1645GT to me.

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    That's pretty impressive Wayne!

Regards,

Art S.

5. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    1645GT would have disc brakes.

1463GT was in Vancouver in the 70s. Originally silver/blu, now red/tan. The interior could very well have been re-dyed black once the blue started wearing off.

6. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thank you Tom, Wayne and Kare.

I am quite certain that the (then) white 250PF had drum brakes, because I expected to see disc brakes and specifically asked the service station manager. As I recall (45 years later) his explanation was that the car was originally intended to be rallied and the drum brakes were better for that application. Didn't make much sense to me then or now, but I have claim no real knowledge in that regard.

I recall seeing a 250PF at various places in Vancouver, perhaps 1985-6. I never had a close look at it, although I think it had disc brakes. It was very rough with a black vinyl roof that looked sprayed on, a lot of sealing goop around the windows, badly worn interior. I recall it as being yellow, again very rough shape, etc.. I first saw it on the used car lot operated by Brian Jessel on Burrard St., before Jessel becoming the Vancouver Ferrari dealer for a number of years. I also saw it on the lot of a body and frame shop in east Vancouver around the same time.

Memory can be unreliable. It is possible that the Victoria car was silver but my recollection is that it was white. Both the 250 PF and 250 GTE appeared to be in nice condition. Maybe there are some barn finds on Vancouver Island!

Jon

7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    1645GT was originally yellow (giallo solare) with black interior. Reported to have been in Victoria (BC/Canada) from mid 70s onwards. Must have been the car.

8. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Kare, based on your post, I assume that the yellow 250PF that I saw at various places in Vancouver was 1645GT. I'm now thinking that I might have been mistaken in recalling the Victoria car as white, when it might have in fact been silver, perhaps 1463GT which was in British Columbia by 1974. Would 1463 GT had drum brakes? My memory might be faulty on wthe exact lighter color , but I'm quite confident in my memory about the drum brakes on the Victoria car about 1970-1.

Detail - 250 GT Coupe 1645GT
    Detail - 250 GT Coupe 1463GT

Any further thoughts? Now, wondering where that 250 GTE ended up. Hope not sacrificed for a GTO replica.

Thanks again for your informative replies. Those two "Victoria cars" were what gave me the desire to own a Ferrari. After a few "coulda, woulda, shoulda" opportunities on 330's in the late 70's, I finally found my place in a 328.
    Jon

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Early series car would have drum brakes. Last serial number was 1493GT and it was completed towards fall of 1959. Then, starting from 1499GT the late series cars would have disc brakes. On top of this, many drum brake cars have been updated. Some in the period and quite a few more in modern days as you will get something like $20'000 for a full set of drums and Dunlop dics are everywhere!

So yes, 1463GT would (likely) have drums, 1645GT would (definitely) have discs.

No hits on the GTE, but given a little time I will look throught cars reported to have been in in the Seattle area...