Where to go after 458? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Where to go after 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Evo X, Nov 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    EVO RWD

nickorette, Coincid and Ash Patel like this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Why do you keep saying that? They share zero internals. They aren't even the same bore and stroke.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

AD211 likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Discerning aficionado? For a car like the Performante, that would mean someone who often track the car and fully use it as it was intended to be used, yes?

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Performante is a cool car but I don’t like the way they did the Carbon Fiber, looks like crap.

FPFaeth and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  5. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I thought the California and the 458 both used the F136 engine design (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F136_engine), the 488 and California T both used the F154 engine design (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F154_engine). Maserati also used both designs for various cars. Each car engine is tuned differently.

Rob

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Correct. Same architecture. The Cali engine is also closely related to the F430 engine. But it is more than just tuned differently. We're talking different rotatingvassemblies, different top ends, different blocks. So to call the 488 engine the same engine as is found in the T is just nonsense. It is no more the T engine than the 458 engine is the same engine as found in a Maser GranCabrio MC.
    If they at least shared the shortblock, then maybe, but they don't even share cylinder heads.

Mighty Joe, Need4Spd and rob5819 like this.
  7. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Good info, appreciate the reply.

Rob

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  8. PCJR

PCJR Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2007
    PA
    I have a Performante coupe and a 458 Spyder. Different cars completely.
    The tech, trans shifting speed in the Perf make the 458 a bit dated. The driving position in the 458 is superior imho.
    Perf feels like it was chiseled out of stone while the 458 Spyder feel a bit flimsy as we all know. I actually prefer the sound of the Perf especially the downshifts. The Perf is also faster and feels more stable although I’ve never tracked either. Looks are obviously subjective but there are certain parts of each that I prefer over the other. Front on the Perf and the rear of the 458.
    I would be comfortable suggesting it as an alternative to the 458. The 458 is my first Ferrari the Lambo, many more before this one. Lambo reliability has been spectacular.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Completely agree. Perf Spyder is brilliant, so solid. A bit synthetic notes vs the 458, but that’s it.

Coincid and ferrarifam like this.
  10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    As noted, there was a video posted in another thread claiming it. Hence the post.

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Dont forget the most important feature one is a dry sump and the other a wet sump. I would NEVER buy a Ferrari with a wet sump IMO

Makuono likes this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Where to go after 458? OP. You're kidding me aren't you? 458 was a great car on its day but that day is long gone. After some recent runs inc yesterday and today I could give you a few ideas but it isn't going to be received well.

Ash Patel likes this.
  13. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    gt2rs.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #64 Shadowfax, Nov 6, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    No but on that score the 2rs is light years better and far more satisfying to drive than a 458 in every way known to man. But yes it would be either an absolute insult or a sign of absolute ignorance to compare a 2rs to a 458 and say a 458 is better. Nobody who has ever driven these two would buy that line. Sorry to break a few hearts here but some things need to be put into some form of perspective at least given that on today's scale there are just so many better alternatives its a joke to even suggest that life started and finished at a 458. So far as i'm concerned if some here choose to insist on living in some form of fantasy world that the 458 is the be all end all then knock yourselves out....be my guest.

Condor Man, Bmwatts, LVP488 and 5 others like this.
  15. JAhmed

JAhmed Rookie

Nov 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jibran
    Been driving OPs car and having a blast!!!

FourFiveGreat and ferrarifam like this.
  16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    hard to beat a 458. i've been looking at new cars for a while and nothing really caught my eye yet. seem all the same

ferrarifam and Graz like this.
  17. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i drove the hurucan and than 488 488 was my choice looks like 488 does not get much love here i love the car.

18. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    I had two 458's that I bought new. Sold them to wait for the next better one. That next better one never came. Never bought the 488. Ended up buying my 3rd 458 spider which I am gonna keep for a long time. Drove an F8 coupe and an F8 spider. Neither one was as much fun for me as my 458. Also recently added an F12 to the stable. I like that car. More power and even better sound than the 458 (with aftermarket exhaust, which they both have). I love both cars, but if I have to give one up, it will be the F12. The 458 just checks more boxes with high scores to me than the F12.
    I love the driving experience and sound of the Permormante, but I can't fit in it and there is no room to put anything, so that's a non-starter. May add a GT3RS later. For me, in today's automotive "green" climate, the next great car is no longer a greater car for me, so I am just accumulating the older great ones.

Mikael-F360, Graz, ferrarifam and 4 others like this.
  19. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago

Can you post some of these suggestions? Don’t worry if you ruffle some feathers. I’m brand agnostic as long as the driving experience is great. Hell, I owned a civic type r for 2 years before I traded it in for the new GT4.

JAhmed and ferrarifam like this.
  20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Amazing how much support and adoration the 458 still has after all these years

OP - You already have the new GT Pcar, would a 991.2 GT3RS be redundant? Personally I felt like 991 GT cars come more alive when pushed, I didn't feel the "special sauce" just puttering around town or cruising on a freeway like I do in the Ferrari. New 992 GT3 will be coming soon too FWIW, to get that fun anticipation of speccing and awaiting delivery of a brand new car?

Depending on price range and affinity for NA vs Turbo, perhaps Speciale, Pista or another Porsche the widowmaker GT2RS? The first two would be another mid engined car though with the GT4, but quite different. The suggestions of the Performante seem well placed, NA V10 exotic. But Lambos never resonated with me personally

I'd suggest a foray into the NA V12 from Maranello, whether F12 or 812 dealer's choice. Cool contrast from the agile point and shoot mid engined platform of the GT4 and 458 you are accustom to, but I'd suggest a test drive as they feel much heavier and more GT like, and probably more serious IMO

I liked what Italiafan said with how for 458 you feel like you're the professional athlete, and with the F12 (or 812) you'll feel like the team owner

In my case I'm happy to have both

Bundy, JAhmed and ferrarifam like this.
  21. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    The problem with 458 is that once you own it, upgrading to another car doesn't make much sense because it is an amazingly good car with a great sound. any new car just makes a small difference.

and if you dont own 458 yet, buying 458 doesn't make sense because it is already 10 years old.

rob5819, veilstylez and Baitschev like this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Well said. If I’d never owned early on, I dont think I would now. And that would be a real shame given how disappointing the successors have been.
    F8 looks fantastic now though!

23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    If one is looking for pure visceral driving f experience (with no nannies), try Lotus. It is my first love, raw and unadulterated.
    On the opposite end of the spectrum you have all the nannies in the world in a Mac for a go-fast car.
    The 458 (or Speciale) hits a sweet spot where you, the driver, can control and “handle” the car with freedom. The Mac would be like Big Brother controlling you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. bagelboy

bagelboy Karting

Apr 18, 2016
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Henry D.
    I understand your dilemma. I've had 4 458's, I followed that up with a 488. The car is fantastic, but always left me wanting for something else. I considered the 812, but it was more of a GT than I was looking for at the moment. It was a great car, but I still prefer my previous F12, to the 812. After much deliberation, I jumped ship. At least for this time. I'm a Ferrari guy through and through. I've now had 33 of them, and I'm sure I'll be adding another real soon. But for now I went for something that really filled me with the emotion I felt the 488 was lacking. It's what did it for me.

Best of luck with your decision! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G988U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Dailied 458 spider couple years. Great car my favorite. 488 didnt interest me. GT3 too rough as a daily driver. 580-2 ticked the right boxes and has been a fantastic daily for the past 2 years. Wouldnt go back to a 458 now. It was the car to own 5 years ago but the looks/interior are dated to me now. Been there done that. YMMV.

EVO RWD is likely up next.

Ash Patel and dustman like this.