Which black for 812? | FerrariChat

Which black for 812?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by JasonN, Sep 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which color black for 812?

1. Nero 1250DS

40.0%
  2. Nero Daytona

60.0%
  1. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Trying to decide between two colors. Granted I’ve never seen either in person. Not many Ferrari’s in Pittsburgh. I like the non-metallic black but it has to be a bear to keep clean. I do get my cars wrapped and ceramic coated which seems to really help with scuffs and swirls common to deep black cars. I’m eager to hear from others about pros and cons.
    Thank you

Horsin'around likes this.
  2. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Nero Daytona which I have is amazing. Lot of flake. Had the car buffed out once received like all my Ferrari’s to really show the sparkle of metallic paint.

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  4. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    How subtle is the metallic component? I specced Nero Stellato for my Pista stripes on top of Rosso Fuoco.

uhn2000 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The color Nero Stellato is much darker than Nero Daytona which looks almost grey by comparison. The Nero Stellato has a red to bronze sheen to it which manifests itself as red highlights or red stars (stelle is star in Italian) every square inch or so. There is also a hint of gold which some describe as bronze. The stars are described as being quite subtle. I don't think Nero Stellato for the stripes will overwhelm your Rosso Fuco but rather will be the perfect compliment to your paint choice. Not sure how you came up with it but I like the idea of combining those two colors for your Pista spec!

uhn2000 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #6 of2worlds, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Here is the paint color combination Onno chose for his 458 Italia, Rosso Maranello over Nero Stellato. The 'red stars' can be clearly seen in this view>

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The paint is perhaps seen as a bit too bright or washed out looking in the sunlight. However the earlier indoor showroom picture shows how dark the Nero Stellato can appear.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That is my feeling that the Nero Daytona is going to look too gray. I'll have to see both in person prior to spec lock. I have a C63S Cabriolet that is Obsidian Black Metallic. It's a nice black and not gray looking.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Is there such a thing as triple layer black? I’m not a big fan of Daytona as it is almost brown.

9. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Don’t know what you mean. I have a ND FF that I’ve never confused for brown nor has anyone suggested seeing brown in the color!

Nor gray for that matter...

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gullwing likes this.
  10. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I just think it is black with a brownish tint in bright sunlight.

11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I've owned a Ferrari Nero non-metallic for sometime and it always looked marvelous when it was clean and IMO few colors can match that indescribable beauty of a pure Nero. To evaluate how stunning this Nero paint color looks there is only one way , you have to contemplate it alive. Probably this is one of the most difficult paint colors to maintain pristine because any finger print or stain will show immediately specially on a sunny day. Mine had the ceramic coating and I managed to keep it looking very good most of the time by performing a regular task that took maximum 10 minutes. Sometimes I didn't wash the car for more than a month but I carry in the boot a bottle of the Chemical Guys fast wiping liquid which I always applied to remove dust and other stains after I went for a ride. Paint swirls are one of the big enemies of the Neros because they are much more visible than in other colors and the normal cause for them is the incorrect use of the cloth while wiping by using too much pressure as well as circular movements. If the car is wrapped and has the ceramic coating the possibility of causing swirls is considerably reduced.
    Having a Nero looking good works like a successful marriage because you only get back what you put into it.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  12. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    GTC4Lusso in Nero Stellato, it's actually sparkling black.

On a side note, it's not a cheap option, costs ca. $30,000.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  13. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Very good reply. I’m a big believer of the xpel wrap and ceramic coating. It makes cleaning the car so easy as you said without all the worry of chips, scrapes and scratches. In Western Pennsylvania, we always seems to have an abundance of rocks that so nicely get kicked up and bang your car. I think these products are a must for a non-metallic black car.

I really like this one which is on the pictures thread Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    For future readers Nero stellato 488. I think the picture captures the sparkle

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    There is also Nero Rubino. I saw a 458 tailor made with the red flake under black.

Griffon83, of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Between the two, I think the non metallic will work best with the 812's lines.

of2worlds and MDEL like this.
  16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I had Nero Daytona on my 599 - it looked very nice when clean, but was very hard to maintain in that condition (which is usual for all black colors I guess).

17. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I agree about the lines but I think it’s a minority opinion? I just bought a Nero F12 and many argued against that color.

I love it.

18. Cleva

Cleva Karting
    Owner

May 20, 2011
    Hi Jason
    I have ordered my California, F12 and F12tdf all in Nero Daytona. It is a proper Black. Not grey. I have a GLE coupe in obsidian black. Nero Daytona is almost the same ie a metallic black. Not sure the special order blacks are worth the extra money.

JasonN likes this.
  19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Nero Daytona is definitely black, Nero Stellato is not more black but more "metallic".

20. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have my 812 spec'd as Nero 1250 right now. I'm traveling to the dealer next month to look at the different colors. Whatever black I choose I'll have it wrapped and ceramic coated which makes it so much easier to clean. I have this on my black C63S and Rosso Corsa 458.