Buy

Which car to buy?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by typhoon116, Feb 27, 2004.

1. typhoon116

typhoon116 Rookie

Feb 16, 2004
    My dad has been considering changing his collection recently...over the past few years hes had and sold a viper, and old vette, a 95 cobra r, a 66 shelby gt350 and a 512bbi...currently he has an 87 TR w less than 3k miles, original 288gto wheels, 100 point car, a 65 shelby gt350 and a kirkham cobra...anyways, he never drives the TR or the cobra, but he bought the TR when they first came out and i know he doesnt want to make another investment in a car that will depreciate like the TR has...hes going to keep the shelby, unless he sells all of them and gets a 65 gt350 r model...if not, hes been considering everything from a 360cs to a 550 coupe or barchetta, a dino, a daytona, a 288 or even an f40...also a new ford gt, maybe a murcielago...just wondering what u all thought would be something that would hold its value in the long run, besides the 288 and the f40, or any opinions on what to get...any other suggestions for a different car are appreciated too

thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Your dad should only buy a car that he is actually going to drive.

4. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Rookie

I don't think any contemporary F car will hold up to its new selling price. Too many made. A 87 tr bought today with 2800 miles for 60k will hold pretty well for a long time. He needs to find a used car that he wants that took the hit. In my opinion any five year old contemoprary car is a good candidate. If you were filthy rich you could speculate on a rare car. I'm unwilling to pay millions for a car I can't drive and just haul around. Why change now? Get a car that sets his hair on fire and worry later.

5. LAfun2

LAfun2 F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    He should get a F40 or a Murcie. True super cars.

6. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Terra
    A '87 Testarossa with 2,800 miles is a top dollar car and is an easy $80,000 car anyday. A $60,000 dollar Testarossa is one with 35,000 to 40,000 miles with all books and records of course. I have own some TRs and the low price ones are to avoid.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Sound like your dad is looking at cars as investments - tell him they were designed to drive, and with a couple of minor exceptions, depreciate - if he wants investment potential, buy nickel futures.

John

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    That's the saddest thing i've read all day; i think i just might have to go to bed after reading that... Tell your father he should forget about the money; get in the damn Testarossa and take it for a nice, spirited run; when he gets back, if he still has money on the brain, well then... Tell him to sell it to someone who will TRULY enjoy it...