Which drivers do you think are OVER-rated? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Which drivers do you think are OVER-rated?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by kizdan, Mar 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which drivers do you think are OVER-rated?

1. Michael Schumacher

2. Rubens Barrichello

3. Juan Pablo Montoya

4. Jenson Button

5. Fernando Alonso

6. Jarno Trulli

7. Ralf Schumacher

8. David Coulthard

9. Felipe Massa

10. Cristiano da Matta

11. Takumo Sato

12. Christian Klien

13. Giancarlo Fisichella

14. Olivier Panis

15. Giorgio Pantano

16. Gianmaria Bruni

17. Nick Heidfeld

18. Zsolt Baumgartner

19. Kimi Raikkonen

20. Mark Webber

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T

As usual you are stating your opinion rather than facts. The only time McLaren ever declared a number one driver was at the point of the season when only one driver had a mathematical chance of winning.

The only driver Senna ever vetoed on his team was Derek Warwick at Lotus in 86 because he didn't feel Lotus could field two competitive cars at the sametime. He knew this from working with DeAngelis in 85. Prost vetoed Piquet who could have got the McLaren seat in 88. Prost also stipulated in his Contract the "NO SENNA CLAUSE" at Williams in 93, and left in 94 because it was only good for one year.

McLaren, allowed Coulthard to race MH fair and square.

Don't let your opinions out weigh the facts.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes.
    Here a few shots from that weekend: Senna in the Toleman, Prost and Lauda around the harbour, Lauda going into St. Devote and the s/f line.

PS: It hurts going through some of these pictures when you see Giacomelli, Bellof, Alboreto Winkelhock, Senna and De Angelis.
    :(

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    How do you know?, are you mates with Ron Dennis?

This I believe (so it is 100% my opinion) is simply what McLaren say to us ... inside Ron Dennis's head he knows that Coulthard will never really do the business, thus effectively they have a number 1.

You do not know the facts, only what we are told ... are you normally this naive?

Pete
    ps: BTW IDIOT, I never said it was fact, I even stated and I quote myself:

Man some of you guys really need to pull your head out of your pompus (sp?) arses and get a life. This is a chat site, opinions is what we are after and discuss ...

4. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    First off, I did not call you any names. But I have noticed by reading your posts that you don't know much about F1. How do you know wheter or not am friends with Ron Dennis or not? Second you are the same person that claimed that every McLaren from 1982-1994 was an evolution of a Barnard Car. What a joke.

Before you start calling People things why don't you learn a little about the Technical Aspects and the History of F1.

5. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I could waste my time and retype everything you just did or I could just say well said and leave it at that. Well except the part about Prost and Senna, although in my opinion I rate Schumacher higher they were both great drivers without question.

6. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    WOW! That was quite a post! BTW I wouldn't mind seeing Schumacher and Ferrari beat up on the field for a few more years. I know it won't last forever so I will enjoy it while I can.

7. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    If I am not mistaken isn't it true Senna wanted to drive for Ferrari but was hoping they would get their act together before he made the jump.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Look, I'm a opinionated Kiwi who does not like Murray ... is it against the law to exaggerate?. Have you no sense of humour, or are you a lawyer or something?.

Everybody knows that almost every year the new car (when it finally starts racing) is a new design, that will probably have very few if any parts from the last years car.

BTW I am very well read and knowledgeable on F1, but I also do not believe just because McLaren or any other team says that they do not use team orders (until they want to) or have a number 1 driver, that that is fact. When McLaren made a big deal about this, Ferrari had just got its wrist slapped by the public, and thus Ron was adding fuel to the fire.

Now this is all just my opinion, nothing is fact. Nothing especially on an internet chat site should ever be taken as fact ... and quite frankly Senna1994 your last post pissed me off. I never, ever said I was quoting fact, and you also have replied stating what you think are 'facts', but they are not.

Unless you are Ron Dennis and for once telling the public the truth (which he is 100% entitled not too, as we do not matter) then it is just your opinion, just as it is mine.

I do appoligise for calling you an idiot, not mature from my side, but I had pointed out that it was just my thinking, and then you get all high and mighty and start ramming your OPINIONS down my throat.

If you do not like me Senna1994, put me on your ignore list, many other posters chat with me lots so I will not miss you ... and I am sure you will not miss me.

Pete
    ps: Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    My understanding pizzadude, is that Senna was approached around the same time that Ferrari 'obtained' Prost. I believe that they got quite close to having Senna drive a Ferrari. I'm not sure though that Senna would have been able to pull Ferrari out of the also rans ... but then look what he did in a Toleman and Lotus.

Senna would have been a wise man to have stated that he wanted them to get their act together first.

Note: for Senna1994's sake, this is simply what I remember, and may be wrong ... please do not sue

Pete

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I think you're right, although who knows in retrospect how much of that was real or just more of the usual rumor mill. If you look back over the years, think about how many drivers were slated by confirmed sources to go to various teams (particularly Ferrari) but never did.

11. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for the info Pete
    Fred

12. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T

Pete, no worries I didn't mean to jump down you throat either. This forum is for different opinions and I have always respected yours from my previous postings.

I understand you have a problem with Murray, but he actually only submitted the basice concept for the 1988 MP4/4 which the actual work was done by Steve Nichols. After Steve left for Ferrari with A. Prost, Neil Oately took over design as Murray by 89 was firmly on the Car Side to begin the design work for what eventually became the McLaren F1.

As someone who knew Ayrton, I can tell you that he was approached by Ferrari in 90 and through the successive years. His biggest mistake was that he didn't leave McLaren at the end of 91. He always wanted to drive for Ferrari and he said he eventually would have gone there in 96 when his Williams contract was up. Jean Todt and Luca tried to get him instead of Berger in 93 but he didn't want to expend the effort as he wanted to first drive for Williams.

In 94, Ayrton was in his opinion driving better than at anytime in his career. If you remember he won 5 races with a Customer Ford HB in the back of his McLaren that was 100 hp down to the Williams Renault and about 50 down to Schumachers Benetton in 1993. Unfortunately in the beginning of 1994 Williams had forgotten how to design a Passive car that worked on a bumpy track (they would fix this by mid season) and not just in a Wind Tunnel.

Nevertheless Ayrton put it on Pole 3 times (destroying Hill in qualifying). In Brazil he lost the lead to Schumacher in the Pit Stops and was cutting the gap to him when the back end of his car stepped out and he spun. In Aida he was on Pole again and got hit at the first corner by Hakkinen. Then came Imola where again he started from Pole, what the news does not mention is that Ayrton died on the 7th lap but he did the 3rd fastest race lap on his 6th lap with full fuel. Schumacher and Hill did go a bit faster at the end of the race with extremely low fuel. Many people think that it was cold tires, but something that the prosecution missed and Patrick Head said at the time of the crash is very important. The Power Steering fluctuated at the middle of Tamburello and that is what most likely caused him to go off. It is unfortunate that as race fans we missed what would have been a great battle in 94 between Senna and Schumacher. Just imagine what the next 5 years would have been like.

Anyway my 2 cents, no harm no foul, we are all passionate about our favorite racers.

13. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Dude I was just trying to set up some ideas to debate about. If we all Love MS there's not much to talk about.

If you really want to kick me in the ball sack give me your address and I'll come to your house so we can talk. I"m betting you'd rather just type on the computer and tune it down a bit next time. Its not nice to be so rude.

I based my ideas on my past sports experience. I won the Florida Power lifting title for 4 years in a row. My last year I won because the only guy that stood a chance of beating me got sick. I won the first three years because I was hungry and I wanted it more then the others did (plus I was lucky no one was stronger). The 5th year I dropped out because too many people started using drugs, technology I refuesed to embrace, and I felt the sport had shifited from talent to technology.

All sports will always have something to do with timing and the strength of the competition, and the technology/talent ratio. That was my only point about MS and his streak of 6 wins. I hope F1 is more competitive this year...it would be more fun to watch.

Now play nice

You like to watch F1 on TV
    I like to watch F1 on TV
    Maybe you've watched more TV then I have, but you don't have to be rude about it.

14. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
  15. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #90 62 250 GTO, Mar 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    "I was just trying to set up some ideas to debate about"
    Almost all of it was inaccurate.

But I stepped across a line I normally can't even see {it being so far in front of me}. So here's to forgotten posts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

Golf is my game of choice now. If you are just being funny, I'm cool with that :)

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay lets shake hands and move on ;)

Yes I can only but imagine what an on form Senna versus's a getting better MS would have been like. Just fantastic!!!

I very much appreciated Senna's awesome ability when he raced, I just feel since he has passed away that it has got a little out of hand ... and I have to admit that I was always a bit of a Prost fan. Both were very good!

Regarding Murray, I do have a little bit of, I suppose tall poppie, dislike of the man. I respect his ability but I am sick and tired of hearing about it ;) ... and also every article I have ever read that he has written reads very much like a preacher telling all the idiot readers how it should have been done (probably a bit like my posts read :D ... oops).

Pete

18. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Good Pete, nice to put that behind us. I also consider Prost one of the greatest drivers of all time, he had some incredible teammates and did a great job against them all (Arnoux, Lauda, Rosberg, Mansell, Alesi, Hill).

I understand why you mean about Murray, he does think he is god sometimes.
    Cheers none the less.

Tony

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think it was more than a rumour. The movie "La Passione" even puts Senna in a Ferrari with Enzo standing behind the car. Ok, just a movie, but still. At last year's Continental collectables event I saw a picture with Senna at the factory or something like that.
    Also if you read the stories about his life it sounded like he really wanted to drive for Ferrari at some point. Maybe his plan was a couple years with Williams equaling Prost's 4 WC titles and then move to Maranello.

20. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    I seem to remember Senna saying himself that he wanted to drive for Ferrari at some time in the future. I'm sure that he wouldn't have found the idea attractive in 1996 when Ferrari were far from competitive. Senna was definately a driver who looked for the best team at the time, rather than building a team up.
    Anyway, I voted for DC as in my opinion he can't drive sheep!

21. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Ayrton, was interested in matching Fangio's 5 titles, after that he didn't care how fast or slow the Ferrari was, he wanted to drive it in his final season"s". By the time he was at Williams he was 34, like Schumacher is today, he did not want to go through what he had been through at Lotus. Schumacher originally didn't want to go to Ferrari either, Willi Weber convinced him that he was still young enough and had a team that would do whatever he wanted too. Good for Michael he did a great job and has been the best driver over the last decade. The only driver who I felt was a bit quicker than Michael in qualifying the last 10 years was Hakkinen, however, Michael still had the edge over Mika in the races.

22. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Agree, as that's precisely what Rossi has set out to do in MotoGP. But Micheal's in it for the money these days so I dunno how you'd get him changing unless he did some deal with sponsors.

David

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think Mark Weber is in F1 for the right reasons and I think he is pulling Jaguar up ...

Pete