Which Exhaust to Choose? Caprista/Armytrix or? | FerrariChat

Which Exhaust to Choose? Caprista/Armytrix or?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by FerrariCT, Mar 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCT

FerrariCT Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Cape Town
    Im so desperate for some sound advice ( pardon the pun)
    I have a 2001 California , and am shopping around for an exhaust system to upgrade mine.
    I am looking at louder , deeper sound. Capristo with X pipes CAT is around USD 9-10k- ArmyTrix between 6-8k

I have no clue. Perhaps there is another good brand. ? The Akrapovic system apparently do not make any exhaust that fit the California. Only the 458, and 488

I would be so grateful for any advice, and direction. Both good or bad.

Many thanks
    Kevin
    Cape Town

MarcoCPT likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Kevin...Look up some threads by Mario (user MDEL). I believe he has a Capristo on his Cali and was very enthusiastic. A few other Cali owners too as I recall were happy with Capristo. Cannot recall reading about the other brands...T

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Kevin, you need to learn to use the SEARCH function.

4. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Capristo I know about Armytrix I don't. When I bought my Cali the Capristo was already there but if you ask me if it is worth investing in one I tell you it's a lot of money just for an exhaust and the standard sounds already very good and the Capristo has a slightly higher pitch more similar to the V12's and can increase the power more 20 hp. With the valves open the Capristo moves into another dimension of sound but the level of decibels is ilegal for street use. If you just want the standard exhaust with a louder sound like a racing car you have the much more economical option of installing just the Capristo valves which you can open and close at will using a remote control.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    We have an Armytrix dealer and installer in the area. They do a lot of Hondas, BMWs and even one or two Audi R8s. They also claimed to have done a Cali before. I visited them a few times and they showed me the cars they modified. The Armytrix website also looked interesting. However, when I asked them for a proposal... twice, they could not respond with one. It felt like they were not confident in the product for some reason and did not want to sell me something that might cause a problem.

Armytrix exhausts are titanium. This makes them lighter and lighter means thinner too, which makes for a higher pitch sound, theoretically-speaking. Unfortunately, thinner also means more fragile. Armytrix is from Taiwan and the product is relatively new.

I believe Capristo was the first aftermarket muffler for the Cali and their products are custom-designed for each car, not standard parts refitted to each car they market to. Capristo products are German-made.

I did a review of the standard factory muffler a few weeks back. IMO, it is too restrictive so just adding a valve controller won't do very much. I also just posted a couple of graphs showing the sound levels from the standard vs Capristo mufflers on my Cali30 which has an upgraded exhaust header over the earlier Cali. The Capristo muffler without the X-pipe and sport cats is not too loud. The stock V8 F-type and 458 are quite a bit louder.

6. McRoswell

McRoswell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Chris McAuliffe
    Neither, open the exhaust valves; awesome result and our dealer did it at no
    Charge

7. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Our California exhaust package is all made under our roof. We utilize HJS 200-cell Sport Cats and a Resonator Bypass X-Pipe. We decided not to invest into making mufflers, as the factory valved ones worked great with our setup. Still something we are thinking of making, but currently offering without. Let me know if I can help with anything, I have built dozens of these setups so I am happy to chime in however I can. Don't hesitate to PM me and ask any questions, I am your guy!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuyrNrmRZi4[/ame]4

8. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    how do you open the exhaust values? I have a California T

9. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    If you're not looking to do a system on the California T, you can simply buy a valve controller from Forza or Capristo which will allow you to manually open/close the valves in the mufflers no matter which mode the Manettino is on. Shoot me a PM if you're curious, I can give you more data and get you setup with one!

10. McRoswell

McRoswell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Chris McAuliffe
    Opening the Exhaust Vales needs to be done by a Ferrari Dealer. I have it done on my California T when I picked up the car.

11. Californialuv

Californialuv Rookie

Jun 25, 2015
    ho

what is a fair price to install the carpisto remote by the dealer. this dealer in calabasas california wants to charge 780 for parts and 750 to install
    please chime in your opinion
    also will it void my warranty on my california T
    2015?
    thanks

12. sharon amos

sharon amos Karting

Dec 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    sharon amos
    None!!! It will void your warranty with Ferrari if you have one and if they find out.

Just buy the Hs sport exhaust from Ferrari for $3500 and you take it anywhere you want for install at $350 or so.

Don’t mess with their warranty....

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I take my ferrari’s to a guy in calabasas that charges less than $1k for a switch, under steering wheel. No silly remote needed.

14. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    I agree with this quote, but more so I think to keep the authenticity of the vehicle aftermarket exhausts do not work on Ferraris.
    I upgraded my exhaust (see my posts) by putting the Factory Ferrari Sports exhaust option it was THE BEST decision I did, the sound is incredible and has really livened the California.
    It sounds much tougher. I would not have ever changed the factory exhaust ever if it was not for this option. This was done at Ferrari dealership so felt almost like factory fitted.

I am sure there are excellent workshops here that do great works on the aftermarket exhausts caprisito etcetera but advice would be maintain factory mode as best as possible.
    Moreever, as Ferrari offer this Sports exhaust option it is great.

This is just my opinion; but good luck and let us know the outcome :)

thanks

15. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was told the exhaust from Ferrari is made by Tubi, a very reputable exhaust tuner so I am not trying to put down Ferrari's products but I do feel Capristo is a better source for Ferrari exhausts and here are the specific reasons why.

Capristo uses Inconel, not regular stainless steel or titanium for their Ferrari exhausts. Go look up on what Inconel is and look up what the LaF uses for its exhaust.

Capristo exhausts are German-made.

Capristo also offers a full exhaust system, not just a cat-back system as it is with the factory sport exhaust. The full exhaust is much more potent (if your ears don't mind the noise). There is a lot of research and development that goes into designing a properly-tuned exhaust system.

Capristo has a longer history of making aftermarket exhausts for Ferraris; I believe they were the first. The owner of Capristo is apparently a Ferrari-nut.

A lot of Ferrari owners worry about warranty coverage and I understand it's a matter of personal preference. I used the 3-year factory warranty to test out my car for 3 years to give me a good feel of how reliable the car is, whether I like it and whether my dealer's service department is any good. After 3 years, I felt good enough to keep the car and waive warranty coverage. This allows me to do as I please with my car. Freedom.

I have always upgraded my cars so it was no different with the Ferrari. Over the last 2 years I have purchased Ferrari as well as 3rd Party aftermarket products and I am very happy with them. I also just paid my dealer for some Novitec upgrades, as well as to install other non-factory upgrades for me. Whether it's factory or 3rd party upgrades, I think upgrading is fun and really spices up ownership experience if you like to keep your cars for a long time.

Bandit23 likes this.
  16. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    WOW I got schooled there :) - that's some very good information-
    Inconel is the best quality sound one can get if you want pure racing sound
    I agree if you are keeping the car for a long time, upgrading and customizing to your personal preference is a lot of fun.

4th_gear likes this.