Which F50GT is on the market? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Which F50GT is on the market?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by amenasce, Dec 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    thank you

2. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill

3. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, if it's known about Ferrari, it will turn up on FerrariChat. Thanks for the account, Steve.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    How much of a difference, if any, would tire warmers (or oven like the F1 team used to use) make? That's assuming they didn't use any to begin with.

5. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd imagine no downforce, no rubber on the track and cold tires all played a part. But, that said, anybody giving a race car too much throttle will pull the back end out. So, I'm guessing it was simply a little too gas.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Anyone care to guess the value of an F50 GT in today's market?

001 would probably be worth more than 2 and 3.

If an FXX goes for 3m, I could see an F50 GT going anywhere from 10 to 20m.

CS 997 likes this.
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I think a lot of people will disagree with me, but I think it would sell for 10 at most. The rarity is the main reason, but it can't be used on public roads and has no racing history. One of the 19 F40 LMs with a race win sold for $5 million or so this year so I figure the F50 GT would be double at most. https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/pa19/paris/lots/r0085-1987-ferrari-f40-lm/740406

I'm sure the auction house would give an estimate around 15, but it would fall short as everything has recently.

Btw, was 001 on display this year at Monterey?

8. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think so.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'd wager closer to $15 million, personally. Despite the lack of a history, I think the aura that surrounds this car would draw in big buyers for a chance to get one. It's rarity in production numbers and overall public appearances (it feels like only 1 of the 3 is ever seen at public events) seems to draw in this huge fascination about it. What's it like to drive? What's it capable of? Video games have really been our most consistent look into it and experiencing it. Rarely appears to have any up-to-date media about it b/c all 3 stay in private homes.

It's a real what-if car for Ferrari and I think the awe of it places it high on the car community's pedestal. I think it would definitely bring in some money to rival the F1 that sold at Bonhams a couple years ago.

10. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I agree. I know I would bid all the way if I was a Billionaire to get it.

LamboLover and TexasF355F1 like this.
  11. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    any idea what it went for last time? there was a few people I was trying to convince to make inquiries as I was certain it'd be a good investment

12. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I have a pic or two of one of them around somewhere.
    It was sitting in the detached building/showroom at Ferrari of SF in Mill Valley in the late 90s.
    I walked around and just thought wow for a long time.
    Salesman said the owner had a few cars there, he did not point out which ones.
    Said the owner was overseas (Asia) and never drove them.

crinoid likes this.
  13. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    It's kind of absurd that the rarity makes the F50GT so much more valuable than the CLK and GT1 and yet the reason it's so rare is because it was essentially a failure and couldn't hope to compete with either! Now who do I have to kill to get one?

imahorse likes this.
  14. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The F50 GT was not a failure and never raced because the Porsche and Mercedes abused the rules. The cars were supposed to be based on an existing road version and not one that would be built for that purpose only. It was part of the reason BPR/Fia gt died.

fbrs2 and crinoid like this.
  15. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    $3 million asking price in 2009 is the latest number I have when 003 was in Japan for sale. No idea what they went for more recently.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/141952705/

16. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    I take your point about ze Germans pushing the rulebook to breaking point but ultimately the F50GT was a racecar that never won a race...

Back in the day it was supposed to be faster round Fiorano than the 333SP though...which also makes it faster than the fxxk; 20 years ago! :eek:

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It never raced. It never had an opportunity to win a race. It never lost a race either.

18. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    That is irrelevant. I'd donate my organs to get one. I'd buy it at any cost. It's the most incredible and gorgeous supercar ever built.
    If it also had just 1 seat in the middle it would be perfection embodied.

Makuono likes this.
  19. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I hear ya...I love the car too as you can tell by my avatar and am fortunate to have a 1/18 Fuijimi/TSM model of it. However, very few people in the world have 8 figures liquid. And fewer are into cars. And even less are into cars that can't be driven on public roads at that price point. As much as us fanboys say we would drop the money on it, reality is when/if we earn that amount (not lottery winning, but rather earn) the odds of still willing to drop that much after working that hard will fall.

I used to say 10+ years ago I'd give anything for an Audi RS6 Avant...that was before I could afford one if available in the US. Now they announce one for the US market and I can afford it, but I just don't think it's a good use of money and I rather invest my money...just an example.

Demigod555, dustman and Makuono like this.
  20. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    indeed it's funny how your perspective changes.

at 3m usd it was a no-brainer though, even at the time imo

21. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

It depends how wealthy you are. I'm at the same place you are regarding spending 150k on a depreciating asset. I can do it but I'm not that liquid that I can shrug off losing 50% over 2 years. That's why I bought my 2nd 911 used. And will continue to do so unless I get to super liquid point.

But this is a one of 3. And 001 is actually a one of one. So chances are, most people who would buy one, would buy it for a very long time. Look at 001,still with Art Z and he paid I think $1m. Probably turned off offers in the 10s.

You only need 3 people worth a few hundreds millions to get it a bidding war pushing the price all the way past 10m.
    Also people in that wealth range can probably have the car paid off on the interest of their portfolio over less than a year. No brainer.

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    ^Yes I know it is easy for them to buy it, but are there at least 3 you think with that much that actually want one that already don't?

That was back in 2009 during the recession... money was tight for almost everyone and deals were to be had with those with cash (car and non car investments). Hard to say imo in hindsight

And for the record if I had 100+ million I'd spend over 20 for 001...

TOOLFAN likes this.
  23. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think there are easily 3 major collectors who would love to own one of the 3 F50 GT. And i think that number will go up as i think it appeals even more to people who were kids/teens back then.

24. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    If RM can get just 2 people willing to outbid the other all the way to $200,000 for a '67 Ferves that was initially projected as a $40,000 car tops, I'm sure you can get 3-5 Ferrari collectors willing to outbid each other for a shot at a F50 GT past $10 million.

amenasce likes this.
  25. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California

Art was offered 1x,000,000 for 001 in 2017. I brought him the offer from a friend. He politely declined.