Which to buy? TR vs. Countach | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which to buy? TR vs. Countach

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by screentime, Dec 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Also,I have fond memories of a poster of Walter Payton and Jim McMahon and a Black,or Dark Blue Countach. After we saw that poster. Every time that we would watch a Bears game after Walter retired,and they were losing,(which was alot) We'd jokingly say that at Halftime,the Countach would drive out on to the 50 yard line. Smoke everywhere. The door would slowly rise open. And,Walter would pop out,in uniform,ready to "re-enlist" into the Bears and help them out. That Would have been cool.

2. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've driven both a Countach and TR (and a 512TR as well). If you want an occasional car to drive on the freeway, etc. the Countach is an okay car. But visibility out the sides is non-existant. Forget the rear, when you're changing lanes, it's a *****, especially because during the day, you'll have people in your blind spots catching a peak. And around town, I'd rather walk barefoot on glass, the Countach blows.

The TR is a far more comfortable car to drive both in town or on the highway, and is a good buy as well. But maintanence is expensive. The 512 definitely had a noticeable power increase as well.

As for Allan's comment on reliability, his must have been an unusual car. Every mechanic (Lambo), owner (current) and owner (past) has had nothing but bad things to say about the Countach. Broken down by the road, overheating issues, and finding parts? Forget about it. They're impossible to find. My friends Countach was in the shop 11 months waiting until syncros could be located. They all say run to the Diablo, much better built car.

The engines are bullet proof on pretty much all the Countach's, but it's the ancillary stuff that breaks.

However, on a side note, I still find myself drawn in by the Countach. Beautiful car (although I don't care for the Anniversary body changes). And I too am grappling with what to get. I love my Mondial t, that's great for around town or on trips. But just to get in and do some highway driving, the Countach is definitely more alluring to me as a second car vs. the TR.

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Join a Lambo site, and youll see plenty of other Countach owners with similar experiences to mine. Most parts are readily available if you know where to look, and scarce parts, can usually be made for less than factory pieces.

As for the visisbility, you get used to it. At first, i was very cautious, but after awhile i got zip through traffic as if in a Corrolla.

One of my biggest complaints is the windows.

I will buy another Countach, but this time, it will be an early Carbed 400S. They are lighter, but not as powerful as qv's, but they are easier to drive. I will mod the motor to make up for the hp loss.

4. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    It's simple........buy a Countach if you want a car to look at.......not to drive.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Doesn't this answer your question?

And that wing, heavenly! At Goodwood's Festival of Speed 2003 btw.

6. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    With such a Huge wing,and the Countach's low aerodynamics and speed. I'd be afraid that that thing with the wing would take off...off of the ground,that is! :) HeeHeeHee!!! There actually were some highly modified C3 ('68-'82 "Shark" body style) Corvettes that DID get airborne,due to the low,wide aerodynamics,like a HydroPlane. Thats alittle bit TOO MUCH Fun for me!!!

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    BTW,Andreas. I just got another picture idea for you. Probably not for next years Calender,(legal rights and BS) but just for fun. Next year when they have those Hooters car shows. What food is Hooters famous for.......? Maybe THEY would like a picture of that for THIER calender? Cars with Wings for one month. Your car. And Maybe a '70 Plymouth Superbird,or '69 Dodge Daytona. A Winged Countach. Lots of possibilities.

8. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    NO WAY, unless Hooters is willing to pay Andreas for promoting them.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'll do anything for a few Buffalo wings.

Actually the wing in the picture looks bigger than it really was due to the wide angle lens. It's the normal Countach wing. The one that reduces its topspeed by 20 km/h but makes it look faster than Mach 1.

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Take a picture of a 1:18 scale 308,with a real Hooters Wing on the back.... That would be pretty funny! ...Perhaps,bordering on Avante Gard?

11. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I have to agree with allanlambo. I have driven both a '97.5 Diablo VT Roadster (the ONLY white/white one built that year), and a '98 Diablo SV, and BOTH were remarkably easy to drive. I remember actually commenting on it when I was in traffic in the '98 Diablo SV. I was talking to my passenger and said, 'If clutches were not so expensive, you could drive this thing in traffic or as a daily driver with no problem,' and that was it. The car was VERY easy to drive, and devilishly (no pun intended) quick!! Memories of a fast blast from 30 mph to 162 mph on a SHORT stretch of highway flash through my mind. Drive one and you will see. :)

Put it this way...buy the car that stirs your emotions, and your wallet can support. ;)

12. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I remember an old Road & Track magazine quote from an article on the Countach that went something like, 'There sitting before me was the worlds largest doorstop,' making a remark toward the wedge shape of the Countach. :D

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I remember the one from Car and Driver that compared being seen in the Countach to " Walking down the street with Pia Zadora wrapped in seran wrap".

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Uh, oh. I like that picture.
    :)

15. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    LOL!! I think I remember that....by the way, Allan. Did you ever manage to track down my long lost Diablo SV? :(

16. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    There is no rational reason for buying the Countach. It is very difficult to see out of and probably the most impractible car on the planet. The TR is much easier to live with and drive.

The Countach is just silly. It is as impractible to drive as a GTP car on the street, but ironically should not be taken anywhere near a racetrack. The costs of maintence and parts are very high, and they are tempermental

Why would you ever consider one?

Because they are a sexy fast road machine, and an icon to every teenage boy in the 70s and 80s.

There are no rationale reasons for owning a Lamborghini. All lambos are impractible like racecars but crap on the racetrack (Maybe the recent Gallardo is an exception). But as an exotic roadcar they are wonderfully exciting. All the impractical things are quirky, exotic and fun and exciting. People either love or hate the looks of the Countach, mostly depending upon their generation, unlike the Miura, which is universily admired.

I also subscribe to the thought that these cars have upside. When the teenagers of the late 70s and 80s move, in ten years, to thier 40s and 50s, these cars will become more desireable to those that can afford them. You will see more restorations, and with limited numbers, higher demand.

The Anniversery addition is not well liked by most lambo fans, so in your case thats a good thing, because it may be cheaper. I wish more people dislike the cars I lust after, they would be cheaper!!!.

17. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I certainly have to agree with your comment about the Exotics going to be "Worth more" in the next few to 10 years. Right now,the Muscle cars are very Hot,for the guys who grew up in the 60's and early 70's. I was born in 1960,so,was just a small kid,really,through the Original Muscle car years. But,when I turned 15,I bought my first of Several very cool Muscle cars,(GTO,Cuda,Roadrunner,Camaro's,Chevelle,etc...) that,back then,were deemed almost worthless,several year old cars. So,they were dirt cheap. That,are now selling for 10+ times for what they were bought for originally. I can definitely agree...and see...that the Ferrari's and Lambo's of the 80's will be "Coming up" in a few years,and the prices will skyrocket-for Nice cars,that is. Ferrari's,especially,the most popular 308's, are extremely cheap right now. Testarossa's too. Lambo Countach's have pretty well held their price over the years. But,I never thought that I'd ever see 246 Dino's going up to,and into the $100K range. Especially,since alot of "Purists" don't even consider them a real Ferrari. Doesn't seem all that long ago that THESE were the $20K cars. I'm telling you. Start stocking some up....:) The Crystal Ball says so....

18. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

No luck as of yet.

19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    You will get used to the poor rear visibility. I have had the car almost
    a year. I put 1,500 miles on the car. I have yet to have ONE person
    blow their horn for an improper lane change. Yes it does not have the
    visibility of a Corolla.

As far as putting one on a racetrack ? Neither of these GT cars belong
    their without severe modifications. Then it is not a real GT street car.

It is not that hard of a car to drive. I enjoy that the car does not flex.
    I do not want a car that has lots of refinement. That will get boring
    after awhile. I want something that is emotional. The Corolla does everything well. None of these cars are really practical where you
    can justify a purchase rationally. Does'nt a used 911 make more sense ?