White Wine | FerrariChat

White Wine

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by JAYKAY, Aug 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    I browsed back about three years and didn’t see a thread specifically dedicated to white wine. I have enjoyed the red wine thread very much, and found some good picks as a result.

So…. Let’s give white wine a try. We opened an exceptional white Bordeaux last night, and several others over the summer. (Apologies for the lack of pics).

Last night:
    2018 Chateau Pape Clement Blanc

Previously:
    2019 Chateau d’Yquem “Y”
    2018 Aile d’Argent

What are your picks? I’d specifically like to hear about your experiences with other regions including Germany, Italy and Spain.

JK

P.S. I will include a pic of the most recent delivery.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    #2 Alpintourer, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    I got into whites after having lived in Upstate NY and enjoyed the Rieslings that did very well in the Finger Lakes terroir.
    I would frequent the wineries around Seneca and Cayuga Lake. At the time (it's been years) my favorite was from Lamoreaux Landing: lamoreauxwine.com. I tend to try a lot of Rieslings that seem orphaned in wine shops. Not a popular grape. I like Gewürztraminers with something spicy. On the drier side my preference is for Grüner Veltliner from eastern Austria. Perfect with a cheese fondue. A Portuguese Vinho Verde is a light refreshing white most anytime. There is a lot of range in whites worth exploring but I hate Chardonnays of any sort.

3. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    I enjoy Gewurz as well occasionally. Do you have any recommendations for Gruner Veltliker? It’s a wine I’ve wanted to explore, but haven’t gotten around to.

California Chardonnay is not my thing at all, but I do enjoy a Pouilly Fuisse from time to time. Chateau Fuisse’s Tete de Cuvée is a nice pick around $40. I think it is 60/40 used oak / stainless.

JK

4. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Austrian wines are so very hard to come by unless you are near a Total Wine type big box store. I usually buy a variety when I see them and then drink when the mood arises. Sorry, no recommendations I can think of right off hand.

JAYKAY likes this.
  5. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    We’ve got Binny’s, which has pretty much everything but even their Austrian selection is weak. I’ll explore and report back.

JK

6. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Very good quality and value across the board are the Austrian wines from Kracher. They make a very drinkable pinot gris (trocken) but their Riesling are terrific, including their portfolio of sweet wines. I never buy wine from Total Wine...try to find a small shop with a seller who gets to know you, your tastes, budget, etc. Most shops can also order for you if the wine is available in your state.

7. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I'm happy to see this thread. I'm not a fan of big oaky Chards either. I'll start to post suggestions from France and Italy. Good everyday drinkers can be found in Oregon Pinot Gris. I'll post some up as well. One that immediately comes to mind is the Four Graces label. Cheers!

JAYKAY likes this.
  8. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    So last night I made a Binny’s run, and grabbed two of the Gruner Veltliner that they had.

I chilled the Meinklang down and opened it with Chinese last night. At least than $15 it was nice bottle, though sort of thin. Not shocking given the price, but I will buy again. The green apple, and herbal notes came through well enough for me to press on with the style.

The Brundlmayer will get opened sometime this week.

JK

9. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    For something surprising, try the Isole e Olena Chardonnay. Not what one would expect from Italy...almost Burgundian and a delicious bottle

10. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    We enjoy the NZ Sauvignon Blancs but the best Cali SB in my opinion is the Merry Edwards. Give it a try. About $ 30.

11. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    We drink a fair bit of white. Anything without a bunch of oak and not malo. 95% from France or Italy.

been drinking cases of a $9.99 Rhone white from Costco this year…I think I’ve bought at least 5 cases of it so far. Had one tonight in fact. It’s simple, fresh, crisp and dry. Just enough interesting elements and nothing over done about it. Goes with many dishes, fish, seafood and chicken mostly. But it’s certainly not noteworthy, it’s a simple summer sipper.

12. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
  13. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
  14. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Excellent! I generally love Gaja wines. I will run that one down.

JK

Dai Baracca likes this.
  15. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Dai Baracca likes this.
  16. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Nice vino, Dr. Frank & Hermann J. Weimer are two of the top producers of Riesling in the Lake regions. Weimer was one of the first if not the first to really produce quality Riesling.

17. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I think I posted somewhere about Forge Cellars Riesling from Finger Lakes. Excellent and age-worthy as well.

18. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    For those who like NZ for SB as daily drinkers, the 2021 vintage is arriving. Get yours now if you can.

19. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    NZ harvest down 30% in Marlborough, although quality is said to be exceptional.

20. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    JAYKAY likes this.
  21. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Our go to white is Aubert CIX Estate. Flowers is also a good drinker for the price.

High Sierra likes this.
  22. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    That’s excellent! I’ve never even heard that Ornellaia makes a Bianco. Looks like I have another bottle to research and track down.

Thanks for sharing.

JK

23. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    For many years, Merry Edwards has been widely thought to be the best Cali SB. I could usually get it for around $ 35. My wine guy tells me someone recently bought the brand, and now retail is $60. For that price for a Cali SB no matter how good, let someone else drink mine.

24. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Might want to try this:https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1539703&searchId=64bd68e9-b3c1-4855-b58a-74664c8a8728&searchServiceName=klwines-prod-productsearch&searchRank=2
    I bought Edwards from the beginning too! Many better at a lower price now...At $60. you can buy Peter MIchael's...

25. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Thanks Teg, I do not drink much Cali SB / Chard but I serve only American wines at Thanksgiving.