Who has gotten into shape? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Who has gotten into shape?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I hear there is tons of great mountain biking there! Mountain biking is awesome and going up hills, even though it really sucks, will get you in shape.

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Peter I have been trying to lose weight for a while. Glad I found this thread. Currently at 146, and need to get down to 135.

When you say limited your carb to 30G's a day max, can you give me some examples? What is 30G, is that like 4 pieces or bread, or a pizza..? Just trying to get some numbers down. Your 8 lb weight loss is great. Congratulations.

I am contemplating lipo if I can't get this weight off. It is disgusting.

Sigh

3. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

Are you a guy or a chick? Man- 130 to 140 is TINY for a guy!

I don't mean any disrespect, but I did go to school with a girl named Ryan Z. that moved to CA and SHE was about 135! Went to Berkley too!

----

ALSO- dropped 12 pounds in NINE days with the modified Atkins! Yeah baby! By summertime I'll have a studly-chick-magnate-bod.

4. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    Damn Chaa! You look like one mean SOB!

There aren't too many people that I come across that I think twice about tying-into if it came to that... but I might just take a raincheck if I pissed you off at a bar.

I'd probably say:

"ah young grasshopper, do you think you can defeat me and my 36 chambers of Wu-Tang style?" and hope that would deter you. If not, I'd grab a poolstick... and some darts... and some pretzels... one of the three would back ya off!

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    F**K me those pretzels sound daunting!!!!.....SIR!!

6. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I've been back in the gym for about a month now. And I thought I was doing pretty well. Just concentrating on getting my cardio up. This Saturday, I played my first game of paintball.

I'll tell you what...there's nothing like trying to stay "alive" to take your mind off of everything else. We played for 4 hours straight. I didn't know what I was doing out there except trying to stay alive. I ended up with bruises, a HUGE road rash on my knee, and a myriad of cuts and scrapes. But the biggest souvenir is this stabbing pain in my thighs every time I go up and down the stairs. I didn't realize all the crouched running I was doing out there. Needless to say, I need to start working out my legs more.

But I'm hooked on the paintball thing. It's a great cardio workout too. Running around for 4 hours with your adrenaline pumping will definitely drop some pounds.

7. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    I LOVE paintball! There is not a more entertaining way to excersize! I used to go all the time with my buddies in Colorado- it's big here in Houston too, but I live around a buncha old dudes that think tennis and golf is huge effort, not to mention paintball. :(

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'M 40 & I just dropped 10# + from 205+ down to 195 today & Ican feel the difference in my clothes, energy & I fit better in my racing seat :)

Looking to drop down to 180 eventually. Trick is watching what you eat & excercise. I drink water, Diet Arizona iced tea & Subway salads Not sandwiches are very good for dropping weight. Also I Very rarely eat dinner

Buy a nice quality digital scale & weigh yourself every morning, its a great help

Also I started taking trim spa & laxatives every night, Hey, you have to do what you have to do to take it off

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Peter,

Sounds like you are on your way also. I have dropped 35 pounds in 3 weeks on the Body for Life plan" Right now the weight loss has slowed down as i am building muscle while burning fat. I feel great and and have tons of energy.

Rob

10. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Small world.

Guy. Just disgusted with myself, and have been trying over 6.5 months to drop the last 10 lbs. 5'6" 135# is fine for my frame actually.

BTW Peter, still need the info regarding the 30G of carb, and what that entails.

Also what is your modified atkins?

11. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Nice Bentley, am waiting for the US release. How does it drive?

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    By the way, does any one know if Pinto beans are good for you when you are on a diet. Are they bad/good?

My new plan implemented from this past sunday:

Eat two meals a day (no different from last 11 months)

First meal 9:30-10:30

1)Oatmeal and a banana

OR

2) Granola esque cereal mix with milk

Dinner at 5:15-5:30

Salad with a meal of some days chicken, some days meatloaf, some days asian stir fry.

No candy/ice cream/soda/sweets.

I have till May 14th (when I move out of the dorm) to stay on this, and I will report back how well/poorly I do.

Excercise:

Whatever I get walking around school for classes, and racquetball once or twice a week for 1 hour.

13. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    30 Grams of carbs are about two pieces of bread! this REALLY sucks! I think I can get use to it though. The tough part will come when I get to 185 or 190 just how much carbs I can add to my diet and maintain the weight.

14. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    It's the EASIEST diet in the whole world:

1. No grains/pasta/cereal/breads. Period.

2. No caffein in any form

3. Only "incidental" sugars (sugars from berries, bananas, juice, fat-free yogurt is okay) EXCLUDED: Granulated sugar, ice cream, candy, honey, and ANYTHING with high frutcose corn syrup.

That's it dude. No excersize yet either. Tomorrow I will re-begin my running/tennis schedule and throw a little swimming in there. Try and do 45 min of cardio a day 4-5 days per week.

Honestly, should be down to 195-200ish in 6 weeks. Was at 235, now at 222 or so...

15. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Thanks Peter. Yeah I don't know really how many grams are in my oatmeal or cereal as they come packaged here at school with no labels just clear plastic.

So that is my only carb intake for the day. I stay away from breads/pasta for dinner.

Sigh..will see if this works.

16. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Ok got it. Sounds doable. Well what do you eat for breakfast then?

17. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Gotta ask, how did you quit? Obviously everyone is different, but I am curious to see how others quit smoking, as I find myself feeling the need to get in better shape and I don't think that taking drags between sets will really fit into a solid plan.

You mean breakfast? It's the most important meal of the day. And the one that usually wants to make me quit smoking when I feel how ragged my throat is from the previous day. The hard part is that after a while, you connect smoking with certain things. Every morning at work I go downstairs between 9:15-9:30, grab Nutrigrain bar and have a cigarette. If only one canceled out the other.

I have always been the kind of person who if put on a field and told to play a game, be it baseball, basketball, football, lacrosse, etc. could run for hours on end. Put me on a track and I am sucking wind 1/8 of a mile in. Put me in a gym and I get bored and find myself half-assing it quickly, but give me something physical to do and I not only give it my best, but actually enjoy it.

That being said, paintball is a hell of a lot of fun and a great work out. Unfortunately, the people I used to play with in College have all been decommissioned by jobs in other states, wives, etc. I miss it and find myself trying to come up with something new to do to get myself to approximate where I was a few years back. I don't need to lose weight, just turn it back into something useful.

Any suggestions for a 24 year old who hates running for the sake of running, lifting things repetitively, and other similar fitness for the sake of fitness type of things? Bueller? Bueller?

-ag

18. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    well... it's cheap too! Go to the store and buy the following:

1. Bag of frozen mango
    2. Bag of frozen peaches
    3. Bag of frozen blueberrys
    4. Bag of frozen strawberrys
    5. Bag of frozen rasberrys
    6. No-pulp orange juice
    7. Lite/diet cranberry juice
    8. A dozen eggs

all of this stuff should run you less than $20 and you blend it together for smoothies every morning. Should last you 7 days.

Breakfast- smoothie w/ egg blended up (protien + simple sugars)

Lunch- 1 or 2 cans of tuna w/ mayo and mustard or another smoothie or yogurt plus fruit or turkey breast from deli

Dinner- chicken breast two veggies, yogurt for dessert or steak instead of chicken or a big ass omelet with chicken/steak + tomatoes + cheese + mushrooms + broccoli + soy sauce.

That's it. You can cook yourself hamburgers too and just wrap lettuce around it as a bun, still put cheese- it's good! Easy diet to maintain and not cheat on, because the smoothies are like dessert!

Nick

19. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Nick,

Thank you for that. Since I don't have a kitchen or a refrigerator, your solution will be difficult to follow while I am in my 13X13 cell.

20. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

wow. the things I take for granted.

21. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Yup. 13X13, two double bunks, no fridge/no tv/no microwave/no kitchen. If you think I am kidding, I will PM you my addy, and you can visit.

22. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

I would man- but it's a long drive from H-Town.

23. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yeah I know it is. I will be in H town for a week in an apt with a kitchen. HOORAY! I will be keeping your diet handy when I get out of this cell on May 14th. Thanks again.

24. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Well for myself the favorite days of my work out is tues, thurs and sat. swimming and the steamroom at the gym. the swimming gives myself a good workout with little impact on my knees.

25. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I cannot understand the Atkins diet at all.... that is why i never have tried it. With body for life i have 6 meals a day each a portion of protien and a portion of carbs. a couple of the meals i add vegies in also. today for example.

Breakfast 1 strawberry Myoplex shake with 3 fresh strawberries added in
    Morning snack 1 apple 1 can of tuna fish
    Lunch Fat free turkey meat wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla
    Afternoon snack Salad and bowl of turkey chile
    Dinner Chicken breast, brown rice and fresh artichoke
    Desert chocolate pudding made from myoplex and fat free pudding mix

I am never hungry have tons of energy and am losing weight