Who here smokes a hookah? Read this... | FerrariChat

Who here smokes a hookah? Read this...

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by luv2detail, May 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Every once in a while, I enjoy smoking a hookah. Then I came across this article. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hookah/AN01265

...According to a World Health Organization advisory, a typical one-hour session of hookah smoking exposes the user to 100 to 200 times the volume of smoke inhaled from a single cigarette.

So, an hour on the hookah is like smoking 5 packs of cigs?? I don't buy it. What do you think...?

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It depends on what you are smoking.

:D

3. Osiris_x11

Osiris_x11 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    This is a snippet from a study a few years ago...

4. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I knew someone was going to say that.:D

Are these likelihoods compared to a person who does not smoke anything?

5. Osiris_x11

Osiris_x11 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Yes, I believe so... 'hookah' smoker vs. non-smoker!

6. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Shoot...this section is going downhill for me....first i'm spotted outside a hookah lounge in tempe (az section), then I'm told all this stuff causes cancer....great....well I suppose you gotta go somehow...

7. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #7 Cicada, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
    used to be big on hookah, but now it's every once in a while for me [i.e i had kilos of different flavors and about 3 hookahs]...ive concluded that just because it's not as harsh [ie doesnt make you hacking cough up a lung] doesnt mean that its better for you. I still enjoy it. in fact, ive been thinking of buying a sweet custom hookah from medusepipes.com -- theyre works of art, even if you don't smoke out of them :)

im back on cigars, and not as much as i used to, either...if im lucky, ill be in the mood for a cigar once a week.

having an a.fuente short story as i type this :)

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    :D

9. shrimpscampi

shrimpscampi Karting

Apr 16, 2008
    I like smoking the strawberry tobacco...mix it with a little bit of weed...Good stuff.

10. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    40 higher risk of colon cancer?????

Huh???

Last time I smoked a hooka was thought my mouth...not my ass.

11. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

And without a measure of quantity it is entirely meaningless. Every 'negative' study concerning Cigars that I have found focused on people who smoked an inordinate amount of cigars per day. Say an average of 5+ daily. Without the measure of quantity every single one of those statistics, relating to pipes and hookah, is nothing but scare tactics.

12. simpleton7890

simpleton7890 Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Global
    While may trace a few snippets of truth, listening to research and advice like this is BS. They are trying to influence social change through fear. The same with alcohol, smoke andything remotely fun.
    Generations before us have enjoyed life to the fullest partaking in these 'dangerous' activities. Maybe it killed them. But the paranoia certainly didnt get to them.

13. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yeah, the article hasn't deterred me from smoking the hookah any. In fact, I'm going to Club Blue in Agoura, CA tonight where I have a table and hookah reserved.:)

14. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
  15. John G

John G Karting
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2008
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    AHAHAHAHA.

+1 too funny.

16. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    ....gah damn...i had no idea...that is nuts...

17. pexogoce

pexogoce Karting
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    pexogoce
    #17 pexogoce, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    I'm smoking hookah rare, But the hookah smoking system attracts me more to stay away from other addictive things. Hookah smoking contains a filtration system to reduce the harshness and chemicals that exist in the smoke. The concept of hookah defines the filtered smoking device. It means, When you pull a smoke by hookah pipe, smoke passes through the hookah water base. The water reduces all chemicals from the smoke before inhaling by a smoker. So, the question is, how does water consume the harsh? Or if it's working right then, why it doesn't mix up with the aroma of the flavors.

18. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Enjoy life ., Tri athletes dead in their 20's , smokers living till 100. Think the fate of your heart is what you are born with . Maybe it sway's it a year or two , but Id rather be happy and enjoy things than to live the extra two years and be miserable and stressed . On that note , like others said , stay what is natural and not chemically treated b.s. those are the thing's that need to be watched. P.s. I am not a DR. and do not recommend this to anyone , my only belief ...:D:p;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Chhow

Chhow Rookie

Nov 30, 2022
    My body itself gives me signals that it does not like a lot of tobacco. Now I can't smoke a hookah more than once every three months, and I can smoke it for a maximum of 30 minutes. Apparently, my body can no longer handle this amount of tobacco and everything that is contained in it.