Who made the jump from a 360 to a Gallardo? | FerrariChat

Who made the jump from a 360 to a Gallardo?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RedNeck, Feb 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I'm only asking out of curiosity, so no flames ;) I haven't driven a Gallardo, but would only consider gated like I did when 360 shopping. Just curious who has made the jump and what the compare/contrast was between the cars?
    Parts prices/ service?
    Are there still a ton of off the shelf parts used (Bosch/Brembo) like there are in the 360?
    Is it just as DIY friendly as the 360 (access panel?)?
    Are there many shared parts from the Audi? (read: same damn part in an Audi box at half the price)
    Does it have the same type of common issues (weak suspension parts, etc.)?

2. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I considered one at the time of looking for a 360. My missus preferred the Ferrari and I was put off a bit by the cost of a clutch (so I was informed and have no experience as such) on a Gallardo. My favourite modern Lamborghini though and perhaps if my missus had not cared I might have.

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I've heard about the $4k thrust bearing and $3k clutch, but I think the Cheaper E-gear system can be modified to work. Recent clutch replacement was a requirement when I was 360 shopping, it would be for about any car I consider.

4. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I went from an F1 360 to a Huracan. Best choice I ever made.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Drove a friends 05' (3 pedal) when I first bought my 360. Couldn't get past all the Audi. Also didn't have the low speed finesse that I found in the 360.

Nice reliable Cars.. bringing that much german into the brand really did improve the reliability.

RedNeck likes this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Yeah, but your 360 was possessed :D

7. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    There was more evolution within the Gallardo line than the 360 IMO.
    2004 were easily the worst, esp the e-gear. 2008 improved a lot.
    Most of the Audi cues are in the interior. Doesn't bother me, I love my Audi ;)
    Most exotics could benefit from a bit of Audi DNA.

Put an exhaust on a Gallardo and you won't be thinking about Audi.
    that V10 sound.

timjen88 and RedNeck like this.
  8. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    LOL this is true.

RedNeck likes this.
  9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I did a long time ago, an 04 and then I turned it into RWD, I could not stand the way it drove in AWD. Of course I did a lot more to it than just turning into RWD. Of course it took a lot of work to bring it back to stock when I got rid of it.

RedNeck likes this.
  10. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    I drove a manual Gallardo some ten years ago, and I recall it being very fast as I was already doing crazy speeds on second gear and I was no way near the redline... There's just so much power in store. There was however not much space in the foot well, and whilst not cramped, definitely less than in my 360 (I still remember that funnily enough). Visibility was also a little poorer, I guess I could say overall you're a bit more cramped inside. Lovely car all in all, not as pretty as the 360 in my opinion, but not ugly by any means. I'd love one as a stable mate for my 360 ;)

RedNeck likes this.
  11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a friend who went from a 360 (3-pedal/manual) to a Gallardo.

He loved the 360, but he is very happy with the Gallardo.

RedNeck likes this.
  12. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    I would rather have my 308 over ANY Lamborghini.

Yes, ANY

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Why is that?

14. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City

Matt, I guess it’s because Ferrari is so much more than a car to me...I love everything about it including the history, etc so anything other than that black horse on by hood just wouldn’t do it for me.
    That’s why I’ll keep my 308 over a Lamborghini Porsche any day of the week. If I could afford to buy a 2nd one it would be a Ferrari for sure

RedNeck likes this.
  15. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    It's true. In real life, the 360 is larger than one might expect, whereas the Gallardo is the opposite.
    Really nice power band though.
    To me, it has more in common with the 430 than the 360.

RedNeck likes this.
  16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Thanks all, anyone actually wrenched on one here?

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Did an 05' 4wd to RWD conversion. Not bad at all. Like working on any other German car. Same R8 audi hardware.

18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That's what I thought. It looks really open, like the 360, so everything, in theory, is very accessible...I was half-assed talking to a dealer about one with 40k on it, kicker is, even though they have had the car twice, they have no service history on it...wtf? So what could be a decent deal on a car can quickly be a dud if the clutch needs replaced anytime soon...they claim they have more into it that I would be willing to pay for the situation, so it's probably a non-starter. Probably for the best, I'd hate to think I put all of this work into my 360 for the next ass-hole.

19. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have both a gated 360 and gated gallardo. If you were serious about the move id be happy to take a phone call to discuss the cars. Jay.

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Its VERY Audi.. so it's reliable, rock solid, and as german to work on as an A4. I'd get one as a DD if I was so inclined... I happen to like the 911 and Ferrari feel better personally..

21. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I absolutely love the look of the gallardo spider, and I’d have one in a second, but definately a later car with all the benefits of the upgrade programme. There are a high number of parts common to the gallardo that you can get in Audi boxes at a much reduced price, such as brakes etc.

As many have said, make sure the clutch is up to date, and no obvious issues, and enjoy