Who's Bought A Ford GT? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Who's Bought A Ford GT?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ghost, Jul 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I've heard of people being willing to pay a few hundred $ or a few $K more for a color of their choice; but not $20-40K. These are cars, it's about the driving!

Anyway, it's well known that the only color that makes a car go faster is red.

2. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    Supply and demand is exactly the point. You apparently want people to believe the supply is small, and the demand is much bigger.

That's just the standard hype dealers spew. The facts are quite different.

FordGTprices.com collects and publishes the FACTS ABOUT SUPPLY (about 1000 Ford GTs sitting in dealerships around the country, and 200 currently listed on AutoTrader.com alone) and the FACTS ABOUT DEMAND (91 Ford GTs sold nationally in July), rather than just broadcasting the non-stop hype from some dealers and people like you ("instant collectible," "Very rare," "once they're gone, they're gone," "the Ford GT was an instant sell-out").

So informing people what's going on in the marketplace is bad?

Other than the Enzo, which is made in tiny numbers, all those cars (as well as the new Z06) will follow exactly the same trend as the Ford GT. And the Ferrari 360. And the Viper. And the 993 Turbo. And the Z8. And the ZR1.

They will sell for premiums above sticker at first, as production is slow, and the "gotta have it now" buyers get theirs. But a year or so later, they'll all be at MSRP or very close to it.

But they're NOT gone. Not even close. Of the total production run of 3000+, less than 700 have been sold. Every day, Ford makes more Ford GTs than they are selling.

Three months ago, Ford GTs were selling for $200,000, and most people said they'd never get to MSRP. But when supply goes up, only one thing can happen to prices: they go down.

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Who cares what they sell for? The Gulf Colors look good. Poser? The car will blow away any new Ferrari and costs less than any new Ferrari as well.

In ten years it will be worth more than any new (05/06) Ferrari.

More importantly in ten years you will still be able to get parts and fix it yourself. What do you think the price and availability for a "Super America" roof mechanism will be in ten years. ROTFLMAO.

4. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Excellent point.

5. SELLER

SELLER Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Chicago
    You're right. This is the only factual evidence which would depict how the GT's and their value will go down in history (eventhough like someone mentioned, 10 years from now Ford GT's will be more valuable than 05/06 F430's). But you're right.. 99% of cars drop back down to MSRP, no matter how hot they were when released.

6. SELLER

SELLER Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Yes they are GONE. Because stupid dealers are not allowing people to order their own cars.. Dealers are ordering colors they Think are hot, and by doing so, they are forcing buyers to look at the overall Market Values.

All the Ford GT's being sold today are by Dealers who have already ordered their allocation(s) and are trying to sell it on their showroom floor for whatever they feel they should get.

The way you describe GT's as "available" is not accurate.. because dealers are not allowing clients to order vehicles at MSRP. Are there a lot of GT's just 'sitting' out there? Yes. But the reason why they havent sold has nothing to do with the Car.. it has to do with dealers feeling they should 'hold out' for more cash, and as you've said, after the initial year or so, these valuable exotics start to drop down near MSRP. Ford could have Easily been "F430" Successful with this car, and by that i mean Force dealers to only sell the GT at MSRP.. if this were the case, every dealer would have several years worth of deposits, and you wouldnt see NEARLY as many GT's for sale on the open market. Just look at Ferrari..

If Ferrari Dealers were ALLOWED to sell F430's at Any Price.. there would be 500 F430's online right now, just 'sitting' (like the GT), all with a huge mark-up. But since Ferrari doesnt allow Dealers to sell "new" cars for over MSRP, every dealer has 4 years worth of pre-orders. 95% of the cars you do see online are clients who drove the car for 6 months, then traded it back to their dealer for a small profit, and in return will get a new car 6 months later.

The people who really got lucky, were the ones that found Ford Dealers willing to order and sell clients their GT allocations at MSRP, just like a Ferrari Dealer. Seperate the Good Dealers from the Bad, and this is how you get the REAL market value on GT's. No matter how many GT's are 'sitting' out there, there is still a small group of people that ONLY like 'ordering' Their car, and if presented the opportunity, these individuals are STILL willing to pay $200-220k for a new GT. The problem now is these People do not want to order a 'last run' 2005, they want to wait for a 2006.. On top of that, there will now be many buyers that want the 'Heritage' or 'Tungsten' color.

Put the two variables together.. the small group of individuals that Only want to 'Order', and the few within that group that want 'Heritage' or 'Tungsten'.. It wont be known publicly, because the right dealers already know who to call.. but this type of person will probably be dropping $220-240k on a 'New Color' 2006. The Only reason why a dealer could not get this much is because they are in middle-america, and do not have access to the clientele that a dealer in California/Florida has. Many Ford dealers in southern California worked with well established Exotic Car Dealers to help find the 'Right Buyers' for their GT. They will do the same with the New Color 2006's. These are the types of transactions FordGTPrices.com has no idea about, because like it was stated, they only know/post 'Public' facts. The 'Private' sector is still fact, just not so public.

7. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    'WOW' That's quite a 'tale'. Is that what 'they' meant by 'creative writing' in 'high school'?

8. SELLER

SELLER Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Chicago
    I only speak the truth.

9. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    I still think all the buyers willing to pay "stupid money" for Ford GTs already have theirs.

Perhaps a handful of nutcases will pay $50,000 over market price for their color preference, but I doubt it.

10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Me too, you owe me $5.

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Buy one. I'll ask you in 10 years.

--Dan

12. Jericho574

Jericho574 Karting

May 21, 2005
    Orlando, Fl
    Full Name:
    Chris Evans

LOL, I am in the auto finance industry and i went out with one of our marketers and there was a new Ford GT in the showroom. I looked at the sticker...$139,XXX, and selling price (per GM) was $153,XXX

At another dealer, a week earlier, there was a S7 on a spinning podium. I definitely see some cool cars at average dealerships

13. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    A Ford GT sold on ebay today for $160K, lowest price yet.

14. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    I ordered a 2006 Ford GT today, spec'd exactly the way I wanted it, for MSRP.

15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'd love to see a Yellow GT without the black stripes.

Anyone have a photo?

Thanks

16. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    CONGRATS!!!!! What did you spec on the car? :)

17. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    I ordered the dark blue color, and the only option I got was the side stripe delete.

So the car will have no stripes at all.
    It will have the standard 6 spoke wheels (look better, to me).
    It will have the standard CD radio instead of the Mcintosh unit with the goofy between-the-seats subwoofer. (Which is a $4K option!).
    It will have the standard black painted calipers instead of the optional red or gray ones.

18. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    This is the closest I could find...

http://www.fordgt.net/yellowgtcolor.jpg

19. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
  20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I said it another post and i'll say it here. It's the new Lincoln-Mercury Pantera. My bet is 10 years from now no one will care very much - not an original design and doesn't compare to the original in beauty ( really became apparent at Lime Rock for Fall Festival looking at both). I really liked it when it came out and now it doen't keep my attention. If your into the bang for buck stuff I'd go for a Z06, at 1/2 the cost.

21. Supercarlover

Supercarlover Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Joshua B.
    A friend of mine is seriously looking at buying one. One of the local dealerships has had theirs for 6 months, and has dropped the price to $165K. I'm not sure if it'll go further...but I'll let you know my opinion once I get a ride (and maybe a drive??? I can always hope).

22. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    man, I love the GT. but its not legal in canada. :(

23. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Id get one but i don't have the money.

24. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
  25. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    Bang for the buck, you're right, no question.

But I don't get why some people (including you) think it's bad the GT is styled after the old car, when nobody minds that Porsche has been using the same design for the 911 since 1963.......