Who's Bought A Ford GT? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Who's Bought A Ford GT?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ghost, Jul 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
  2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Well for 139 k without the irrelevant stereo and painted caliper crap its a deal over a used 360. For 170ish in arrest me red its a problem. Seems like the dealers are killing it just like chev dealers did with red 1990 zr1's. Remember how many of that car were sold by 94.

The real question is where would ypu service it, a ford dealer? They cant even balnce the wheels on a pinto. seriously the dealers who are used to selling snake oil are just killing the whole thing. If 800 have been made and we are close to msrp then surely these cars will be a reasonable purchase in a year or so.

The story about ferrari dealers selling at MSRP might be true, but now you have the same group of people always on the list and no opportunity for an entusiast who has saved their money to get on a list, that is why there is now room in a growing the market for a ford gt, aston v8 porche gt3 etc. This market will continue to grow, even lambo will benefit as they improve their product, ferrari will end up as the poseur choice if it doesnt watch out and serious enthusiasts leave ferrari to the use and flip stockbrokers..

3. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Has a lot do do with the fact the Porsche never stopped making 911's.

If Porsche started making a 550 that looked a lot like the 550 spyder "hot wheels edition" with a bunch of crappy body panel gaps and needed a supercharger to match 1960's perfromance numbers then I think we'd have a similar case.

Porsche did not call the Carrera GT the 550 and harken back to it's glory days to sell a car that they could never sell otherwise. The Carrera GT is a FORWARD thinking car for a forward thinking company. The Ford GT? It repesents a lot that is wrong with domestic automakers. Always looking back, always following others and never innovating. When they do invent sometihng new you can count on it not working right.

To build the GT ford tore apart the F360 and tried to imitiate its performance. So Ferrari introduced the F430 and did the GT two steps better.

4. Zinhead

Zinhead Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Chicago, USA
    Have you ever dealt with a Ford dealer? It's enough to generate hate for anything associated with Ford.

5. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good point, ford just keeps looking back...the "new" mustang, the new ford gt, the thunderbird...they sure like their nostalgia at ford...whereas their trucks, such as the f150, f250, f350, excursion, etc. are foward thinking industry leaders....

6. wise3

wise3 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Ward Orndoff
    I agree in essence. But to be picky, Porsche Did name the Carrera GT after a "glory days" limited run model from almost 50 years ago.

7. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    Well, I've owned several Porsches, including a 904, three 911's, a 356, and a 944 Turbo Cup factory race car (for sale soon!), and I think the Ford GT, for ONE THIRD the price of the Carrera GT, is a much more impressive accomplishment.

I have driven both, and I have a Ford GT on order. (And yes, I admit it, you're right, I couldn't afford a Carrera GT even if I was that crazy!)

And I STILL don't get why new 911's being styled like the 1963 901 is good, and the new Ford GT being styled like the 1964 GT40 is bad. (Let's face it, if Porsche made a new car styled after the 904, we'd all love it!)

8. drive4fun

drive4fun Rookie

Jan 19, 2005
    It is hard to compare the Carrera GT to the Ford GT other than with simplistic 0-60 times. I have driven the carrera gt on the track and I have a ford gt on order: I expect totally different experiences. The carrera holds up pretty well to the enzo--no easy feat--though the latter provides far more visceral feedback/excitement. Both are true supercars with exceptional and sophisticated engineering. The ford is far simpler (engine, brakes, suspension) less polished/refined (interior, exterior) and hopefully cheaper to maintain (don't even ask the #s on an enzo). For most owners, the numbers and capability are only points of interest, as they will probably not log many track miles and if they do, will probably not have the driving skills to enjoy the limits of the car. Though I will log about 8 full track days this year, all I need is one lap with a pro GT driver to realize the car is only a small part of the equation.

9. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, I agree.

To be clear, I think there's no question the CGT is more exotic, more refined, more sophisticated--really more everything than the Ford. But for $450K, it should be.

I think designing the Ford in 18 months and selling it for $150 is a more amazing accomplishment.

10. SELLER

SELLER Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Not more Power though! ;)

11. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    The CGT does have more horsepower than the Ford GT

12. SELLER

SELLER Karting

Jul 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Not according to the Dyno.

And the Ford has more Torque.

13. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

What were the CGT's dyno numbers?

I'm sure it's 0-60 times are slower than the Ford's but other than that there's really no comparison. The CGT is Porsche's work of art, their masterpiece, probably the only Porsche I'll ever own.

The Ford is.....nice, distinct in retro way but it definitely doesn't move me like the significantly less dramatic CGT.

14. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Saw a GT up close the other day. Black/black, no stripes (!). Gorgeous car. Wasn't too impressed with the seats but maybe it's a retro thing...

If nothing else, the engine compartment is a lot more interesting than your run of the mill 360/430/Gallardo etc, because you get to see the suspension components.

The longer I have to wait for my 430, the more interesting the GT looks! :)

15. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

Keep us posted if and when you drive a GT and your 430. I've read a couple of magazine comparisons but they must always be taken with a few grains of salt.

Nothing is better than owner comparisons.

16. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    So what's going to happen when Kenne Belle gets a blower made for the GT?

The GT will officially lay waste to the Enzo. And I could care less if the Enzo is N/A.

17. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    It already is supercharged. Am I missing something or are you?

18. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Belle makes aftermarket super chargers. He makes a bigger one for the 03+ Cobras that makes about 100 hp more powah.

19. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Back in my day we just changed the pulley size to change the amount of compression, or as you put it powah.

I guess in this modern age where people have more money than automotive knowledge, bigger is better.

20. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    haven't even seen one yet...

21. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    which dyno???? how many of the carrera gts and ford gts were tested side by side on the dyno by unbiased qualified testers??? dyno measurements vary wildly from dyno to dyno and sometimes individual cars can vary....the only way to prove that a ford gt has more hp than a carrera gt is to do a controlled scientific study with unbiased testers, on a well calibrated , high quality dyno, with a significant number of stock ford gts and carreragt to test ...otherwise, all we have to go on is the car companies numbers....

22. YenkoYS100

YenkoYS100 Karting

Sep 9, 2004
    Payson, AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Gloria McClurkan
    scycle, I'm trying to understand what you mean by "unbiased qualified testers?" As long as both vehicles are tested at the same dyno, at the same time, the results should be the results.

I have never heard of a biased dyno. I truly don't think the dyno cares at all.

I also have a hard time comparing a $450K car to a $150K. I would think that alot more people could hope to aspire to the $150K car............ but as another has posted here, a $450K car is out of the reach of most. I would certainly hope that the $450K car would have more to make up the difference, than just a "prestige" nameplate (such as more technology, etc).

What I find fascinating about the Ford GT is twofold. First, the production schedule and development time was crazy (watch the video on it, it is fascinating). Second, that it easily compares with some of the best out there.......... but does so old school. Meaning, no electronic nannies of any sort. There is something to be said of simplicity of design.

23. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    What's the real world performance of the car? (I dislike magazine tests, too, but realize that dyno tests can vary as well). One flanked me today when i was out in the Lambo, and while neither of us was pushing it, I could see how quick that car was, already rolling- we were both trading places at around 70 on a B-way, when my friend in the GT took off. Car was gorgeous in motion and the driver, a mature gent, looked like he was having a ball... (T'was black with silver or white stripe in the Nyack area, Rt. 59).

24. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    if the cars were tested at the same time at the same dyno, then it very valid, i agree....but i dont see where anyone has presented that data here...i would love to see it...it would be interesting.....