Why are 488's Selling So Far Below Sticker So Fast? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why are 488's Selling So Far Below Sticker So Fast?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F355 Fan 82, Feb 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Slick am I wrong in remembering the 360 selling for over sticker for quite a long time? 430 too? I may be mistaken.....

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Times, they are a changin.

Ferrari pushed the game as far as they could and it's hard to blame them. Contributing factors are also expanding exotic car market and efficiency of that market (internet, FerrariChat...).

I think we're a good 5-10 years past being able to reasonably "get on the list" and get out of the cars for little or no depreciation unless one of the special editions. First signs of this might have been back with the 456/612, but then we started seeing it almost year 1 with the California and maybe day 1 with FF/Lusso and then not too far into production on the 599 and 458. Heck, even the last year of F12 production was already under water. we're 3 years into 488 production and I would argue it was already under water last year. Show me anyone that got full MSRP for their 488 last year not associated with a trade or next order.

I experienced the game first hand last year getting the California T and learned a bunch. I think it simply comes down to 10 years ago owners were able to win at the game, so the house started expanding and playing it. FerrariChat helped perpetuate the game. The last few years everyone has been trying to play it remembering success of the past, but now a few years later and people taking some big hits the game (or myth) is busted.

I have talked to so many people the last couple years that purchased new Ferraris with idea to keep leap frogging on the lists. After being out anywhere $50-200k+ after one or more flips they gave up. It is simple math, in my case I was trying to work 3-4 cars to get favorable position on 812. My 2nd car in working on my 3rd deal I did the math I might get a year 3-4 allocation of an 812 and be down already in the 6-digits. I was offered a year one 812 at another dealer for less than $50k over or I could just wait on my own and I'll bet anything 812's are selling for MSRP or below in the 2-3 year timeframe.

I think you're going to see the "dealer game" losing a bunch of steam as the tide has turned from 10 years ago and more are figuring out it isn't the same. I'm curious to know what buying new Ferraris will look like in another 3-5 years. I wish they would just allow dealers to sell at market, that gets rid of the stupid lists and games. Dealers will be happy because they're not stuck selling under market and then trying to make the profit back up in grey shady areas.

3. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    What color combo was your car?

4. SlickMurphy

SlickMurphy Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    Grigio Titanio/Cuoio. Sold 12.4% under MSRP after 14 months of ownership. Now, that percentage isn't bad but the dollar amount is obviously huge because of the MSRP. $45 a mile after factoring in 14 lease payments, sales tax, property tax, down payment and early term fee. I will NEVER play this game again. I replaced the 488 with a new NSX. Imho, it's a much better car.

5. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but after having driven a 488 gtb and frequently riding/driving around in my friends NSX, I cannot understand why you would say the NSX is a "better' car. Haha

6. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I am sorry to hear you were not that happy with your 488GTB. I love mine. I am not sure anything compares to the Ferrari mid engine V8 experience overall but this is just my humble opinion.

Viperjoe and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  7. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    very different cars indeed...

8. SlickMurphy

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    Again, this is my opinion, so let's not get our panties in a bunch. The NSX sounds almost as good, is more comfortable, has awd, is much wider and more aggressive looking, much better hvac, quieter (when I want it to be), better stereo (than the JBL), better mpg, better NAV, carbon brakes to match, steering to match and overall better fit and finish. The NSX was also less than half the cost of the 488. Did I mention that my mileage overage on the lease is almost same as a Honda Civic at $.20 cents? Yes, the 488 shifts a tiny bit faster and is up 100hp, but I am in no way missing the extra hp or the 488. There is absolutely no denying that it is just a better value play. Viva la Honda!

9. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    I would reconsider the logic a bit.

First on depreciation. Even if I loved the NSX the thing that would scare me most about the car is the depreciation risk. Namely, it is loaded with batteries and electronic tech. Those are things that are evolving quite rapidly and the latest gizmos, while cool when they are new, don't hold value. Nobody wants a CD player from 20 years ago no matter how good it was when it was new.

Second, your depreciation on the car has a lot to do with how you decided to purchase it. Of course if you lease then decide to break the lease you are going to get hammered. If you paid cash it would have actually been quite a small loss all things considered. I really don't think someone who bought a new NSX and decides to break their lease in the same manner would do any better.

2nd, to say the NSX is a better car. That is obviously as subjective as it gets. It is a statement that may be correct for your needs but certainly won't be hard to find others who disagree. Especially for those that value lightness for example.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 and Napoli like this.
  10. SlickMurphy

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David

My lease termination fee was a single payment of $3100. If I paid cash I would be out $23,250 in sales tax unless I traded even or up. Why would I need to be concerned about depreciation or reliability? The car is a closed end lease and Acura has agreed to buy it back from me for a set price in 36 months whilst remaining under full new car warranty for the duration.

11. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Not sure I am exactly sure what you are saying.

Nevertheless, not surprised Acura needs to guarantee a buyback though as the NSX has enormous downside risk. Although I may be mistaken as to if you are saying that.

Re the depreciation, 12.5 ish percent depreciation is really not much on a new car. Not sure it is realistic to expect to do better than that. What would you expect? Of course you don't save the tax if you don't trade in..but that is true for any car right?

Are you saying your could get rid of your NSX after 14 months and lose less than 12.5% Wouldn't you have the exact same issues if you break a lease with Acura? Or perhaps they have a different policy and that is what irked you about your 488 experience?

In terms of comparable depreciation would be super surprised if a 7 year old (for example) 2018 high tech hybrid NSX has even close to the same resale as a mid engine Ferrari. My guess you would not disagree right? Would be curious what the residual on a three year lease on an NSX is vs the likely used value of a 488..I guess we'll find out soon...

Obviously you can prefer one car over another. Different strokes for different folks. But in terms of the depreciation really struggling to understand how the NSX outperforms there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #37 lamborarijason, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    That is kinda odd, I replaced the NSX fully loaded with every option with 488GTB. Took $70k hit in less than 8 months of owning NSX. Which is about 30% under MSRP in 8 months. Of all cars I ever owned no car ever depreciated faster. Right now could get NSX way under MSRP, which I originally purchased mine, I had to have it, didn't really care about the price, so ended up paying only $10k off MSRP, but was fully optioned so out the door was still $215k after tax. Sold for $145k with full clear protective film added too.

Kinda shocked that you think NSX is better. Besides having Lexus level comfort, it has zero sound, only fast off the line, surprisingly slow rolling acceleration, and the slow downshift responds (rolling in 60mph, try pedal to the floor and downshift, feel that 1.5 second delay).

That being said NSX is awesome car, feels lightweight despite the weight, you do not feel the weight. I did enjoyed it quite a bit, for a while I felt it almost was the best car until honeymoon period was over and reality kicks in.

dustman and galt like this.
  13. SlickMurphy

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    Let's clarify a few things.

I don't care about what happens with future values. The NSX is a closed end lease (not open ended like the 488). Acura will take the car back from me for a pre-set price (residual value) after 36 months. The depreciation is set and built into the monthly payment and I need not speculate or worry about this future value.

I also like the closed end option because it shelters me from diminished value should I have an accident. If I bang it up and fix it, that bad carfax (and diminished value) is owned by Acura, not me. If I banged up the 488 I would need to reach into my pocket to pay for the repairs to avoid a bad carfax and still have a car with a story that I would need to disclose. I can't imagine what a 488 would sell for with previous damage.

In the end, I was looking for a low slung performance car that I could drive daily and not worry about mileage or diminished value. In that regards, the NSX fits the bill better for me than the 488. I also own a 991 TTS, 991 GTS, 996TT, SLS AMG, gated 360 Spider and several others. I still grab the keys to the NSX first.

Nel1 likes this.
  14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Nsx great value at $115k soon.
    Like an r8.

rob lay likes this.
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Great value today brand new $135k.

16. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Even in our tiny market here 488's are not so much being hit value wise but simply sitting on the market and not really selling. Then again they still haven't been subject to the absolutely massive depreciation anything from Woking has suffered.

17. Ivinsea

Ivinsea Karting

Sep 7, 2016
    Southern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ivin Seabrook
    Not being vested, I am going to wait until CF-loaded GTB's are 200K and then buy one.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    good, keep in mind some CF loaded 458's going for $140k.

19. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Yes salvaged 458 or 458 with over 23,000 miles are asking for $145,ooo.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually none of us should be surprised. The new model will be shown in a year. The F430's dipped fast in the last year of their selling. I know, I had a late 2008. Lost nearly 60K in about a year.

If you're in this because it's a game, that's the wrong reason to be buying one. One stupid idiot in a Kia running into you will give you 40K in depreciation in less than a second.

Try to control that.

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’d be interested at that price, haven’t seen.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  22. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Discussed this in another thread, but I too got into a closed end lease with Ferrari Financial and the depreciation hit on my 488 was just about the same as any other sports car in the $180-200K price bracket (I have owned a few). This was in line with my expectations, never aiming to get back anything close to full MSRP after 1 year of ownership. Stay off the useless CF options (except CF LED wheel) and triple layer paint.

488 production went up significantly because the Cali T, which shares the same assembly line as the 488, went to 0 for a few months before Portofinos were announced and production started. Couple that with Ferrari increasing total production by nearly 50% and that clearly impacts the secondary market.

I do know what you mean with the NSX, you can relax a lot more by not having to fear for your life (depending on where you live) when you drive it... some cities, like where I live, when 10 pm rolls around, all bets are off if you're in a Ferrari.

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    LOL! NSX a better car than 488? Hahahaha...that's the funniest thing I've heard all day!!

Afonsolaw likes this.
  24. IMPEX4

IMPEX4 Karting

Feb 5, 2006
    Full Name:
    Eric

I have driven the NSX, no comparison.

25. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Comparing a 488 to an NSX may well represent the pinnacle of absurdity. 488 haters - please go elsewhere to advance your twisted ideology. The Honda Forum would likely be receptive to such nonsensical drivel. I for one have grown weary of the incessant, baseless, 488 denigration. .

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app