Why are we so slow? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Why are we so slow?

Discussion in 'F1' started by 635CSI, Mar 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Haha

maulaf and daytona355 like this.
  2. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Oh c'mon. Hyperbole much?

william likes this.
  3. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Ferrari no doubt has always been a passion I think for anyone involved with the Marque at any capacity or its divisions . I dont really think it matters how each team approaches its craft, its amazing that any of these cars can be built to even finish a race , never mind being competitive . Ferrari has had plenty of time in the winners circle since it started racing, so for me I dont get mad if they dont do well, as a matter of fact, it would be nice to see any another team thats been in the back of the pack, all of a sudden get the right Formula for winning. Frankly for me the Ferrari vs Merc is getting boring , and that includes any other dynasty that has taken over the sport.

Thank you

375+, william and DF1 like this.
  4. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    Exactly, where are the mods?? This would not be tolerated with any other ethnic group profiling.

Basta!

5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #130 ginoBBi512, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    I wouldnt get my underwear in a twist , its just one persons opinion regarding F1 . I dont think the people who are Ferrari care about what anyone thinks or says, they know they have been more about Italy and being Italian than any other entity in their country . . Ferrari will always have the "Tifosi" and the most followers and fans of any other F1 team in history . They are going to do whatever it takes to try and win , same as any other team, how they plan to get there is what , at least what it used to be Formula One. I wish the FIA would go back to the almost " no rules " glory time of F1 Can you imagine V12s Flat 10s Flat 12s V10s V8s V6s all racing on the same track , with all their own chassis , suspension, aero packages !! MotoGP has V4s Honda / Ducati and Inline 4s Yamaha . I think most teams are using either configuration. F1 even used to have more than 1 tire supplier .

Jakuzzi, daytona355 and 444sp like this.
  6. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Wait for the brexit to be effective and we will see if UK remains the holy land for everything in formula one .
    Mercedes is a global company and their f1 department is completely disconnected from its German roots for me .
    I love Ferrari because this company emphasizes what we could call " the Italian geniuse ".
    I don't want a worldwide uniformity , I want differences .

7. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    By the way Brexit seems to be some form of a Greek tragedy as well.

Speaking of tragedy's; watching many Brits on the coast of Spain and France more than a few of them seem to be dealing with some form of tragedy as well, although I'm not quite sure where in history to put that tragedy. It's certainly isn't Greek.

Ferrari as Italian as they are and as I'd like them to be, are perfectly capable of winning F1.

As history shown; the Italians are capabale of anything.

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Sport and politics are 2 different things. Here I discuss about F1, not politics.

BTW, I didn't criticise Ferrari because they are Italian per se, but because the management structure at Maranello is flawed, and the conditions not conclusive to good cooperation between different departments. Ferrari was founded by a very autocratic individual, who created an atmosphere of fear, and blame culture that is still existing now, some sort of scalp hunting.
    Over, the years many talented people, engineers, technicians have been blamed for lack of results and sacked consequently, often on the denonciation of another collegue, the complaint of a driver, or a media trial in the Italian press. Some of these people have found heaven working for other teams later.

You don't conduct a business by firing people at the first occasion without analysing first the cause of a failure to find remedy, nor do you instill confidence in your staff with a revolving door Policy.
    Ferrari had 3 team principals in 5 years, that says a lot about the lack of stability, and the insecurity in that job.
    Mercedes and Red Bull had the same management structure during these 5 years.
    The lack of continuity is the bugbear of any business, even more in an intensively competitive area as F1, and it's endemic at Ferrari; that's a fact.

Makuono, MalcQV and ypsilon like this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 F1 is my refuge from the world of politics.

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I have an interest in politics too, but Ferrarichat isn't the place for it, I think.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  11. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

and millions of Ferrari fans

TOOLFAN likes this.
  12. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Don't tell that to the folks in a certain thread . . . .

Jakuzzi likes this.
  13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Not quite.

Religion is continuing to believe in something even when all the facts and figures indicate otherwise.

Believing in Facts and figures win, continuing to believe against facts and figures is a way to lose.

14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    [AMuS] The rival teams found out that in Melbourne Ferrari deliberately turned the performance of their engine down dramatically. Around 30 to 40 hp. There were only 2 laps in which Vettel had full power available. The lap before and after the pit stop...

[AMuS] Ferrari had obviously miscalculated with the cooling in Melbourne. Mercedes is surprised: "We had set the car for too much cooling. The temperatures in the race were three to four degrees below the forecast."

[AMuS] Also because of the deliberate reduced engine power, the SF90 spend too much time on the straights which resulted into an increased fuel consumption. In the 2nd half of the race in Melbourne the Ferrari drivers had to lift.

Finlander, daytona355, 635CSI and 2 others like this.
  15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/142389/vettel-ferrari-could-have-lost-its-topspeed-edge

Sebastian Vettel believes the cornering strength of Ferrari's 2019 Formula 1 car may have cost it straightline speed, but needs more data to be sure.

One of the traits of the Ferrari last season was strong top-speed performance, but Vettel and Charles Leclerc seemed to struggle in this area in the Australian Grand Prix.

Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko hinted this week that this could be a mix of Ferrari backing off because of cooling problems and being pegged back by closed engine loopholes for 2019.

Asked by Autosport if Ferrari had lost its speed advantage, Vettel said: "We were losing out everywhere. When I say everywhere, that means also down the straights.

"I wouldn't draw too much conclusion. Last year we had a very efficient car and maybe at the end of the year we were a little short in terms of downforce, so then you can be faster down the straights.

So, I think this year's car, if it gives us the feeling that we know is a very strong car, is very fast round the corners, maybe then it's a bit slower down the straights.

"But I think we haven't had enough track time yet, [enough] races, to really give a fair answer."

Vettel evaded a question from Autosport about Marko's assertion Ferrari had a cooling problem and a need to save fuel in Melbourne.

"Well it always depends where you are compared to others," he said. "But I don't think that we are in a different ballgame to other people.

"After the race, on the plane, we had a few laughs.

"Helmut was sleeping so I'm not sure where he did his analysis!"

Vettel finished more than a minute behind race winner Valtteri Bottas's Mercedes in Australia, where Ferrari was much less competitive than in pre-season testing.

Ferrari has applied "corrections" ahead of this weekend's Bahrain GP based on what it learned from a difficult opening weekend but Vettel said the "answers" may only be partly useful.

"The key factor for me is that I drove a car in winter testing that I really liked and felt really comfortable in, it was doing what I want, I didn't have much to moan or complain about - and we went to Australia and it wasn't there," he said.

"We have some answers in terms of the lack of performance for Australia. But we don't race in Australia again."

He added: "We'll never get the real answer because you don't go back until next year.

"There's always some lessons - some were about the set-up, others were about the [circuit] configuration.

"You throw everything in the mix and we have reason to believe we should be stronger here, but I don't want to put a number to it.

"Mercedes was more competitive than we expected, together with the fact we were less competitive than we expected, that explains the large blip."

daytona355 likes this.
  16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Car looks tonnes better on a conventional track.

daytona355 likes this.
  17. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    Again, in a country known for a fair amount of sand . . . are the silver arrows sand-bagging?

Bas likes this.
  18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't know. I'm sure they can (both) go faster...but Ferrari's car looks solid here. In Australia it looked reluctant to turn in. Over here the car does exactly what the driver asks, just as we saw in pre-season testing.

19. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Right, lets bin this thread, hopefully for ever !

stavura, 375+ and Igor Ound like this.
  20. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Turned up the wick and lost a cylinder :-(

Jakuzzi likes this.
  21. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yup :(

22. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    The lesson (again) is - it is better to finish in points - 3rd, 4th, 5th, than not finish at all. Sad but true. We still have got car issues. Can we fix it until next Grand Prix? I hope so.

23. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    What about the sleek, triangular air intake? Does that need to be changed? Probably not, as the side pod upper intakes are doing some of the job. Maybe the Ferraris need a rear vent like on the MB cars?

24. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    We just need a little of the luck that has concentrated on Mercedes for the last five years to migrate over to Ferrari, so when things go wrong, we manage to get over the line, or our rivals break down too, just as happens for them. Until our luck changes, we seem destined to be the bridesmaids, never the bride

Nortonious and fil like this.
  25. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    We've still got lots of potential upside this season. Leclerc is awesome. That audio clip thread of his last 8 minutes of team radio are impressive to me. Give him a fast car that lasts the whole race and I like his chances. And who knows, Seb may surprise us all. Lord knows I've seen stranger things come to fruition in my time.

I choose to be optimistic. Forza Ferrari!!