Why are we so slow? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Why are we so slow?

Discussion in 'F1' started by 635CSI, Mar 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Last year, sebs problems were from a position he found himself in of trying to make up the deficit forced upon ferrari when they had certain parts removed from the car, and then went the wrong direction in development in the wind tunnel... this year, we’ve given him a car he must have been absolutely delighted to be driving, and then Charles has come in and shown maturity well beyond his years. Throw in Ferrari’s mistakes in set up for Aus, imagine Seb’s frustration when at Bahrain, Charles managed to dial in better and was faster pretty much the whole weekend. The pressure is intensifying, so I hope he will find a way to defuse it and arrive at the next races reinvigorated and with the team behind him. While my confidence in him has dipped, I have no doubt he has it in him to pull it back, and imagine the team we would have with a confident Seb and hungry LeClerc, both driving to finish one two and hopefully, not minding which of them it is ala Kimi!

635CSI, stavura, jgonzalesm6 and 3 others like this.
  2. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    ^^^^this^^^^

My ideal finish is for Seb to win WDC, Leclerc in 2nd, Scuderia Ferrari claiming the WCC

...and a dejected LH to retire as Mercedes departs F1 for Formula E.

daytona355 and stavura like this.
  3. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
  4. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hopefully this thread will turn into ‘why are we so FAST’ if they can just get the car to run reliably from now on

fil likes this.
  5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/142581/ferrari-reveals-cause-of-leclerc-engine-problem

Ferrari has revealed that an unprecedented short circuit within the control systems of its Formula 1 engine was the cause of Charles Leclerc's problem in the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Leclerc had looked on course to take his maiden F1 victory but slowed with just over 10 laps to go as his engine dropped a cylinder.

The lack of power allowed Lewis Hamilton to overtake Leclerc and go on to win, with Valtteri Bottas also getting past to take second.

Leclerc would have fallen away from third and behind Max Verstappen had Renault's double failure not caused the race to end behind a safety car.

Ferrari flew the engine back to Maranello for a thorough inspection and has discovered that the issue was caused by a short circuit within an injection system control unit.

A statement from the team said: "This type of problem had never been seen before on the component in question."

Ferrari is confident that the engine can return to action and that it intends to fit the powerunit into the car for the Chinese Grand Prix weekend.

Despite missing out on a first F1 win, Leclerc was positive about Ferrari rectifying the problem.

"We will work on the issue but I'm completely confident they will find what the issues are and they will be fixed for the future."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

daytona355, Makuono and stavura like this.
  6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Might have to do with new Shell’s fuel giving such big performance boosts to Ferrari this year.

7. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    In Melbourne Ferrari were nowhere and it was rumored that they couldn't exploit their engine proper.
    In Bahrain they were quite decent and everyone wondered how they found 40 extra hp.
    Then Leclerc's engine failed and they went back to Melbourne spec on the electronics (?).
    And China, where the course is 99% back straight is all about hp, is it not?
    That suggests to me that the hysteria that Ferraristi always fall into may be premature and Ferrari is in a conservative mode, just trying to recover points at the moment?

william and Bas like this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Seems they have a lot of power in the Control Electronics that's possibly a bit unreliable?

We weren't massively behind today. Stressful that we're 0 for 3 at the moment but if they sort out this CE problem quick we're still in it.

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Nope. Season is done for Ferrari. They haven't fixed their mistakes from the last few seasons. Mistakes that cost them 2017 and 2018. Might as well scratch out 2020 also. Ferrari have shown time and time again that they are unwilling to change or make the big decisions.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  10. Jean-Pierre Marchand

Jean-Pierre Marchand Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2019
    Mont Royal, QC
    Full Name:
    Just call me J.P.
    It's getting harder each passing race to be optimistic. But I applaud your optimism.

Nortonious and daytona355 like this.
  11. F430_Mikli

F430_Mikli Rookie

Jul 17, 2017
    Vancouver Canada
    Clearly our Ferrari package is not as good or fast as Mercedes in China. Kinda boring when we can’t even catch up :(
    Waiting for mistake to happen isn’t a good thing for fans.

dflett and daytona355 like this.
  12. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Damn, looks like this thread stays alive for now

Nortonious and 375+ like this.
  13. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Well, I did post that before Shanghai. My optimism may have taken a slight blow today. I'll still watch all the races, but more may be via DVR than usual if this continues.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    After the Chinese GP 2019, Rosberg on YouTube and in an article said we need to "re-do" our aero package; it's not working.

(aside from our pit wall strat calls)

daytona355 likes this.
  15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    update MonacoGP 2019

So Binotto is dealing with a car from the Arrivabene era along with staff. Binotto is going to make changes in the staff as time goes on. 2019 is a "correction" for Ferrari in all depts. Yes, it's a slow process but he is making changes as we speak. More to come I imagine-->Jock Clear??

According to Corriere della Sera, Ferrari has snatched someone from Red Bull, who could prove to be fundamental in giving new life to their simulator. It's Marco Adurno, an expert in correlation of car dynamics, who will also take care of the development of the simulator.

https://www.formulapassion.it/motorsport/formula-1/ferrari-in-arrivo-uomo-red-bull-per-lo-sviluppo-del-simulatore-adurno-437847.html

Turrini also reports changes at Ferrari:

• Alessandro Cinelli is no longer responsible for aerodynamic performance.

• Giacomo Tortora is no longer responsible for the vehicle area (including the relationship with the tyres)

Andreas Seidl for Mclaren is kinda in the same boat.

[AMus] Binotto: "I am not looking for an excuse for our performance so far. But it is a fact that the difficulties of the 2nd half of 2018 have influenced the start of this season. Today's car was created back then, just as we are already working for the 2020 car atm."

(Remember the 2nd half of the season-->upgrades were really downgrades & Binotto leaving)

A really great interview with Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto and "Die Welt"!

Mattia Binotto about Sebastian Vettel vs Charles Leclerc, his analysis why Leclerc was faster in some races and about the team order

I recognize parallels at the time around 1995, 1996. That was before Ferrari became so successful. We also had to go through a learning and development process. Just like today.

[AMuS]

Ferrari's cardinal mistake in qualifying is still the subject in paddock. "At Ferrari, there is no one who dares to make decisions, the system is sick, they all rely on their simulations, just do not take responsibility." says Maurizio Arrivabene

Arrivabene said after a similar mistake in Suzuka 2018: "We have too few racers in the team."

Il Tifoso likes this.
  17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Charles is faster because his car was tuned better...lol. That tells us what we need to know with regards to the team hierarchy.

william likes this.
  18. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Waste of space!

fil and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    after MonacoGP 2019

Vettel assures that Ferrari has "identified" its "weaknesses"

The German believes that his big deficit with Mercedes is due to lack of load
    Mattia Binotto has denied that the Italians are going to change the design of the car

Sebastian Vettel has identified the lack of aerodynamic load as the main weakness of the Ferrari of 2019. The German, who has thrown humor to analyze the situation, believes that the criticism of Maranello this season is not in line with the pace of the car.

The blow of reality of Ferrari in these first races is no longer a surprise. They left the preseason as clear favorites, but in these first races of the season they have not confirmed that vitola and, after six races, they have not scored any victory, while their main rivals, Mercedes, have six of six, with five doubles.

It is clear that the car is not up to its rival, the W10, and it seems that Sebastian Vettel is clear about the problem of the SF90: it lacks downforce: "I saw that Valtteri was faster, but could not pass any of the ways, since our top speed is very good, the problem is that we lack aerodynamic load, a weakness that we have already identified, "explained the four-time world champion.

Despite this weakness and poor results, compared to the last two seasons, the German looks on the positive side and believes that the criticism of the Maranello saddle has been exaggerated at the beginning of 2019.

" I do not think the car is as bad as it looks, the results should be better, but it is very difficult for us to put the car right in the window where it gives its maximum performance, when we do it, we will be much more competitive, but we are still far from where We want to be, it's a short-term goal, to get closer to that window. "

The season, practically, has just started, but Vettel is already 55 points from Hamilton, while last year he was 14, and Ferrari to a world of Mercedes, to 118 points, when 12 months ago he was 22.

"Looking at the next three, four or five races, we have to make sure we improve the car, we put more grip and it will go faster, it's that simple, but the guy who takes care of all this seems to be hiding Well, if you see him, tell him we're looking for him, "the German said ironically.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=https://soymotor.com/noticias/vettel-asegura-que-ferrari-ha-identificado-las-debilidades-del-sf90-964581&prev=search

DF1 and daytona355 like this.
  20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Jock strap, for all the use he is, he’s a total dick. When we hired him I thought it was a typo, he has always been ****ing useless in my opinion

DF1, fil and stavura like this.
  21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    DF1 likes this.
  22. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    That's not good news :(

23. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

24. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Tyre Window.

When Ferrari struggles with their TW Pirelli quite rightly stays put.
    When Mercedes struggle with their TW in FP, by some strange coincidence Pirelli then change the min/max tyre pressures for Quali.
    Result: Mercedes tyres come good.

Funny old game eh