Why buy a Maserati? | FerrariChat

Why buy a Maserati?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by UroTrash, Oct 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  2. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak Karting

Jul 20, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Cost of maintenance vs. having a warranty. I'm sure that plays a big part of it. This car does look very nice, and the depreciation curve must be much less than that of a new slightly used Maserati.

3. Rerun

Rerun Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    How much difference is Maserati maintenance versus Ferrari maintenance? Do Maserati cars need engine outs?

4. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #4 venusone, Oct 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Maserati might have been the car 20 years ago but not now. You might as well go for a Jag. While I wouldn't turn my nose up at one...nuf said.

Redman is on the prowl.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Well a stick Masi coupe might be less than $75k, Brand new too. Slightly used much cheaper still. Even used it has a warranty. Better back seat comfort than a 456 is a plus if you really need a 2+2.

6. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I agree 100%. I have been thinking about this lately. Another car to think about is the new 6 sereis BMW's. My uncle just bought one for $76,000!!!!!! I told him that he should have bought a 355 or a 456 instead but he said he would rather have a car that is brand new and still has warrenty.... i disagree. You can have a perfect condition 355 with all its services done for about $80,000 am i right?

7. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    The Maser is impossible to beat on value.

If you really want the Ferrari experience, and can put up with an older car with attendant maintainence costs and niggles (windows, popup headlights, $12k exhaust replacement), the 456 is your car.

But keep in mind, the 456 is a 10 year old design and it shows. The Maser has a 4 yr/50K mile warranty, better handling, nicer interior, better acceleration, and great noise.

The 355 vs the Maser is not a valid comparison as they are very different types of cars - one a luxury GT, and the other a sports car. However for what it is worth, it is just as fast around a race track (Lime Rock, and Fiorano) as a 355. Not bad for a luxury 4 seater.

Drive the Maser - and you will agree!

Jon

8. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Thought about a 456M as a 4 seater. But after driving a new Quattroporte, I have decided to spring for the new Maser. No, its not it's not gonna be the fastest, nor handle like my 550. But it really has the Italian style and living room luxury combined w/ sufficient power and sport to have some fun. Can't find this combo in German sedans or F cars. I also rode in a Scaglietti, but really can't justify the price.....and it does not have the 4 doors that add significant practicality.

9. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Why would anyone want a Maserati coupe at all? --That's my question.

It holds its value like used sneakers, doesn't handle like a car should at that price, and looks like a Hyundai.

10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    HEY, BUDDY, LAY OFF THE HYUNDAI REMARKS!

;)

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I asked the same question standing in the dealership Sat. A used 550 or a new Maser Spyder? The dealer's reply was the warranty, newer car (a few years of technolgy), Spyder.

I don't really have an opinion either way, but the person I was with is considering those two. I would take a 456, a 550/575, or a Maser Spyder. Don't know about the Maser Coupe, though.

He did mention the incredible cost of replacing the 456 Auto tranny if it breaks out of warranty. No repair, just replace (like $50,000). Last year, they had a 456 that had a valve break and was a $45,000 rebuild. I like the 456, but the Maser warranty is appealing.

Both out of warranty, I would go 550.

12. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    This 456 looks gorgeous, perfect color combo. 456s are a bargain.

13. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    thats a GM sourced 4 speed, how can it be so much? and the maser is similar to the 456, but to me more beautiful, I dont know why ppl dont like it...I bet its quicker too.

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Mule, I have heard of people tearing down the 456 tranny without any problems. A transmission is a transmission.

That said, the absolute best deal going in Ferrari land is a Maranello. Granted, I have never driven a 456. But, it is hard to imagine one being better than a Shark. Yeah, you might have to pay $25k more for a Maranello, but it is worth it.

Dale

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The 456 is a wonderful car, and that looks like a pretty nice one. Great color, too.

I faced this same choice when I bought my 456, and it only took me a couple of seconds to make a decision. I just don't care for the styling of the current Maserati Coupes... Now a Ghibli, on the other hand...

16. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    nice car, but some ppl just dont like old cars.
    maserati has its own appeals. what ferrari/maserati has to do is to redefine the niche which pretty much this brand occupies.

17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    As the owner of both a Maserati coupe and a Ferrari (360 spider) my thought is why would'nt you want to own a Maserati. Does it handle like a 360, no it does not. Is it a great track car, not really, but once you learn it's limits you can drive the piss out of it. It has luxury, power and for what it is it handles great. I have had my coupe for more than a year and I switch beteen it and a Cayenne turbo as my daily driver and it always puts a smile on my face. Funny thing is it's get more thumbs up than my 360.

18. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    I had a Maserati 3200GT for nearly 3 years and it is one on the most fun cars I have ever driven - it puts huge smiles on my face the way it went about its business and add 4 good seats to that and you have a great car - mine had a full warranty and fixed priced servicing and so budgeting was easy. I fully expect to buy another one day. Not only that as Carnut says the attention it got was more than the Ferrari.

The only problem was depreciation - but the 456 is hardly a good example of a car holding its value - anyone buying a 456 from new lost nearly as much as the cost of the Maser the moment they drove it from the showroom

19. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia

I have a hard time believing that the 456 transmission can't be repaired. Chances are it is built by Valeo or another supplier and is adapted to fit in a transaxle. I highly doubt that Ferrari went to the trouble of designing a bespoke transmission for the 456. The volume was just too small. Parts availability is the issue. If you can find out what the source vehicle is you should be able to buy parts at reasonable prices. Any good transmision rebuilder should be able to fix it once the parts are sourced.

20. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The 456 auto transmission is indeed unique. Look at this thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7224&highlight=456+ricardo

However, that is not to say that at some price someone could open it up, fabricate parts, etc. 50k will buy you quite a bit of labor!

21. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Common sense would say that the auto tranny would have been sourced from a typical vendor, but I've read (can't find the link) that the internals of the transmission and the shifting mechanism were designed specifically for the 456. $50k+ seems incredibly high for a transmission, but that is the numbers that people much more knowledgable than I have stated time after time.

It would be tempting to acquire a good 456 auto transmission and re-engineer it to accept more common components. An unfortunate owner with a shot transmission could send his to you along with $30k or so and think he got a bargain.

I wonder if it would be possible to design a kit to retrofit one of the new 7-speed autos used in M-Bs.

Back to the subject at hand, the 456 will be like a more desirable version of the 365/400/400i/412. They are high-maintenance. The Maserati has maintenance requirement more like a Porsche, whereas a couple of 456s would probably put their mechanic's kids through college if they were daily drivers.

With that said, same money it is no contest for me, the 456 without hesitation. That charcoal beauty posted above has been on my PC wallpaper for a couple of days.

EDIT: Apparently someone is a faster typist and able to state his point more efficiently.

22. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    At $50K for the transmission, you'd be hard pressed not to just spring for another $25K and get a whole 'nuther car and keep the busted one for parts.

Cheers
    Kevin

23. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    great thread, very interesting concept.....the 456 is a great car, i drove my friends 2000 extensively until he wrapped it around a tree and totaled it!! very nice and a great engine note,,, beautiful interior, however, it would be expensive to run as its older.... the masers is ore of aneveryday car....it has a great engine...the coupe looks better to me than the spider...i have drivens friends coupes extensively...it is not a ferrari but it nice car , great interior.... the styling is so so.....btw, there is no way it gets more attention than a 360 spider..no way , not even close!!!!!

24. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Since the 456 auto is GM sourced and the new Corvette uses either an auto-transaxle or a manual transaxle, I bet some creative engineering could adapt a Corvette transaxle to fit a 456 for much less that the cost of a new 456 one.

25. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    ...or someone could engineer an engine/tranny swap kit...yea, yea, that's the ticket...a 302 with a 5 speed...

...a DODGE V-10!!...

....a BMW V-12!!...

...must take another hit...