Why do the 275 NART Spyders command such high value? | FerrariChat

Why do the 275 NART Spyders command such high value?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SefacHotRodder, Sep 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is it only because of their rareity? I'm sure most of the "reproductions" are better drivers because they have had more work done to them. I know all about the NART's but i just can't see why they are worth so much.

Anyone care to shine a light on the subject?

2. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    Much of the value is probably in the fact that there were only something like 10 "original" N.A.R.T. spyders produced with the "blessing" of the factory. The N.A.R.T. spyder is, I believe, considered a production model by Ferrari which therefore gives these spyders a "collector value" beyond that of a "cut down, modified or converted" coupe.

Although there were a number of coupes converted contemporay to the time that the N.A.R.T. spyder appeared, these are considered modified coupes.

The N.A.R.T. spyder is considered by a number of viewers as one of the better looking spyders of all time which doesn't hurt the price any.

The main thing that keeps the price up is that there are buyers willing to pay the asking price for the cars.

Best wishes

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thank you. I just find it strange that these cars are so expensive when there are plenty of other (and much cheaper) alternatives in the Fcar line up.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, the people that are looking at buying a NART spider are not looking for cheaper Fcar options ... they are looking for a collectible car.

Personally the cars are questionable looking, but I'm not a covertible fan.
    Pete

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The most beautiful Ferrari spiders (or spyders) are worth far more than very nice looking spiders.

A 275 GTS is a great car, and currently it'is actually cheaper that the GTB version. That's not because of rarity as much as aesthetics. And the GTS is much, much cheaper than a NART spider. (Although the NART has more performance due to its 4-cam engine.)

The same thing goes for 250's: the Pininfarina Cabriolet series II cars look great. But the California spiders look fantastic, and are worth that much more, ususally four or five times as much.

So, economically speaking, the more wonderful the coachwork, the steeper the demand curve. Faired-in headlights are worth a lot!

--Matt

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Chris, it's very simple. There are two factors at work here.

1. Ferrari spyders always comand a substantial premium over their coupe counterparts (think PF Cabriolet vs PF coupe, 365 GTB/4 vs 365 GTS/4, etc) and 275 GTB/4s are currently trading in the $450K - $475K range.

2. Anytime you have a model produced in such small numbers (10 examples in this case), it will be a rare occasion when one enters the market. Therefore, when one of these cars does come up for sale, there are a large number of prospective purchasers with only one car available world-wide. For obvious reasons, this results in an even greater premium.

Taking both of these facts into consideration, it's not difficult to see how one of the NART Spyders could change hands at $1.75 million or more.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So, as the above poster noted, why are 275 GTSs worth considerably less than an equivelant short-nose 275 GTB?

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Because, in this instance, the 275 GTS's styling is closer to that of the not-quite-so-sexy 330 GT 2+2 than it is to the berlinetta.

9. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    I think it's more than just styling. The closer a Ferrari has ties to a race track, the more valuable it is. Very few 275GTB's were raced, but some did. That's more than can be said of the 275GTS.

-steve

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I agree that styling has to be a major factor in the many factors. It's not *just* rarity. There are many one-offs and rebodies that are quite unattractive to most people and thus they don't command so much. The history is important too - the connection to Chinetti. Take looks and history, then add the rarity, and you get the price, in my opinion.

11. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Here's one from a couple of weeks ago in the Kirkland Concours. If I remember correctly, it's one of two alloy-bodied NART Spyders built. Owned by Jon Shirley.

12. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    The reason for the high value of the 275 NART is a combination of features:

1) The 275 is the last front engine V12 that is closely related to Ferrari's origins. Driving the 275 congers up a feeling of the great lineage of Ferrari's history. Its mechanically related to the past and yet performs as a modern car (this is a critical factor in terms of valuation - old cars are great but the 275's usability is much greater than most and still seems linked to the past as a vintage car) . The 4 cams gives the motor a real zip and the 6 carbs help the motor breath so 300 bph (as published) is on demand. Suspension is good and the car is reasonably balance due to the rear transaxle.
    2) Pininfarina's styling is masterful. Although debatable, the 275 GTB coach work as designed by Pininfarina is one of the all time great executions of modern automotive styling. The style is the culmination of front engine design methodology by Pininfarina beginning in 1952 and ending in 1965 with the 275 GTB (the Daytona is more closely related to the beginnings of the wedge) . An era of styling that solidified the Ferrari image by the master PF.
    3) The 275 is also a dual purpose road and race car (Moderate racing history) The NART branding has a panache as well as the links to the Chinetti lore.
    4) Cabriolet. Nothing better that the wind blowing and the unobstructed sound of the 4 cam V12 . I would note that the Berlinetta (With the back vents) is better looking in many ways and is the ultimate expression of the design; particularly, the 2 cam with the smaller back window.
    5) Rarity and demand. Less than a dozen of them and most who own them aren't sellers. I don't think a 275 NART has sold - at least over the last couple years.

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    More buyers than sellers.

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Looks like we've reached a consesnus:

15. mccprivate

mccprivate Karting

Jan 15, 2004
    The best of the NARTs was 09437, the "Thomas Crown Affair" car because it is not only one of two alloy cars, but it also raced (the movie and the Road & Track test do not hurt either).

I know there are people that would spend $5 million or more just to add 09437 to their collection, but the reality is it means nothing if the car is not for sale. Who knows what the car is worth. This is the best-of-the-best of the NARTs and it would take a huge premium. This would make a great addition to one of the big collections.

Same goes for 2015GT, the 250 GT SWB California Spyder "Competizione". Price is determined by wherever buyer/seller can agree (if it is for sale). With the ultra-rare automobiles, you cannot rely on what is published. Almost all of these transactions happen behind closed doors.