Why I will never own a Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why I will never own a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by silver02ws6, Oct 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    If thinking of a v8 model does that to you, the last thing you want to do is consider a 12 cylinder model...that could give you a heart attack or something!!

2. silver02ws6

silver02ws6 Rookie

Sep 4, 2005
    Steel City
    Yeah i know.............Enzo is my all time favorite. Im still not educated enough on the older Ferrari's to have an appreciation for all of them. That being said im sure there is a whole other world of Ferrari's that i have not yet been introduced to.

austin

3. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    First, definitely finish school, particularly if you're not sure what you want to do. Even though your courses may not be directly relevant to what you end up doing, they teach you discipline, how to think, how to write, etc. These are valuable things.

Second, since you have "lots of ideas", think harder about adapting your course choices to support the best 2 or 3 ideas you have. Whether its design, graphics, photos, accounting, marketing, or whatever; if you have a focus/purpose to your courses, you'll get more out of them, be more interested in taking them, and further your ideas to the point where you can do something or know enough to drop one or more.

4. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL

What's up man, from one F-Body owning Ferrari "wanter" to another!

5. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Dont be so negative.

I help moderate these forums and am on everyday. I'm beyond addicted to Ferrari's. I still go to school and hold down a full-time job. Find what you want, and work towards it. Not all Ferrari's cost $200k, btw. ;)

6. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    #31 308geo, Oct 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I like the "updated" "Justification for Higher Education" posters, but I have this one printed & hanging at my desk to motivate me durinng the day:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    Yes, I "kyped" it from F-Chat, but I forgot who's place & collection this is.....

8. silver02ws6

silver02ws6 Rookie

Sep 4, 2005
    Steel City
    good to know im not the only f-body driver in here.

9. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Tillman (or anyone) -

Do you know where I can get a copy of the 'old school' (1986) version of the 'Justification' poster? I had one in high school and have no idea what happened to it - I want it back.

I've tried searching the poster sites and the web for it but everyone just seems to have the updated version.

10. RWDOMKR

RWDOMKR Karting

Aug 18, 2004
    Stockton, CA USA
    Full Name:
    RWDOMKR
    Austin - I have one philosophy...the day that I stop learning is the day that I die. I finished my undergraduate degree in 2000...I am now 53 years of age (some of us take longer than others). I have the Ferrari and the Alfa and the house etc., etc.....and couldn't be happier - and it's not all material!! Do not EVER stop the education process, however you interpret that...and get that Ferrari...whatever that means for you.

11. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think that would be justification to quit a job and start a business, because that's the only way anyone will ever get to own that group unless they hit powerball.

DAve

12. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I have a very similar story.

Why should all of the rich dudes have the fun?

Chris.

13. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Let your Ferrari desire be one of the motivators to keep you working in school. It is hard to stay motivated in school sometimes because the rewards are so far off. To make matters worse, you may have friends making great incomes and enjoying life. Keep in mind that a good education can never be taken away from you and may always be a source of income for you. Being an entrepreneur is not easy and not all people are cut out for it. If you have a good education it will give you a base to build on and increase your wealth. Then the rewards will follow.
    Give yourself a goal, maybe finish school and say within five years you will get yourself a F.

14. life@8500

life@8500 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Milford,CT
    Full Name:
    C Ryan Ramotar
    show your father this post.

15. schackman

schackman Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    COLD
    Full Name:
    Schackman
    Good luck.........sounds like you need it. You've overthunk a deal before you have even made it out of one of your classes.

????????? Graduate 1st and foremost! ...........then the rewards will follow.

16. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This is the truth. Just get that damn degree...repeating advice I got 35 years ago.

17. Jericho574

Jericho574 Karting

May 21, 2005
    Orlando, Fl
    Full Name:
    Chris Evans
    #42 Jericho574, Oct 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I moved every year of college and that poster made the trip and hung above my computer wherever i lived! My motivation to study...didnt work....but i graduated just fine anyways
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Silver you will NEVER own a Ferrari. Sorry

19. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Stay in school and get a good education, so you don't end up like me.
    Living in a van down by the river!

20. Tiger_Carrera

Tiger_Carrera Rookie

Jun 15, 2005
    Gatineau, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Gary Corbett
    Austin - All the respondents to your thread have given you very good advice about staying in school; I would like to add some thoughts for you on life in general. The ability to think and reason will be very important as life will present opportunities and challenges to you and you will need to assess how to respond to them. Ultimately you will have a lifeplan, and this should include Ferrari ownership if you are that passionate about it; these challenges and opportunities will help and/or hinder you in pursuit of the dream.

To maximize your enjoyment of life you need to achieve a balance amongst physical health, mental/intellectual health, and financial health, and it is important to understand how your own personal strengths and weaknesses will affect them. As an example in the Ferrari realm - how are your mechanical skills? If you have limited skills then you need to plan on $150-$200/month just for the timing belt change, and if you're looking at a F355 these are getting to be 10+ years old which means all the rubber components will soon need replacement (oil lines, radiator hoses, and fuel lines. This is why we occasionally but regularly see fried 308s on the market....). In addition I'm sure you read the threads on all the other potential problems on the F355 such as valve guides and exhaust manifolds - all expensive repairs. If you have the mechanical skills, then you're going to need a garage and a large selection of tools and a lot of time to spend in the garage. You need to figure out how to manage the maintenace issues. Don't forget insurance costs either!

When you graduate you will have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity - no responsibilities and no debts (if you're lucky) to hinder you in pursuit of your Ferrari dream. I read an interesting story by a founder of one of the mutual funds companies - he started out in the '30s during the Depression but still managed to find work and to save 1/2 of everything he made and invested the rest. Remember to pay yourself first and avoid silly consumer debt. If you can save $1500/month towards your Ferrari dream, then you can achieve the ownership goal within 3 years. Three years would get you $50k down, and afterwards $1k/month for lease/loan costs and $500/month for maintennace.

If you need some inspiration just look at Tom Yang (I'm sure you've seen his website). A long term goal, tenaciously pursued over several years and now he has the car, the friends, plus his wife and child - a great success! You can do it too.

Gary

21. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The degree will get you in the door and hard work and dedication will keep you there and move you into the corner office. I have seen too many people that think they will get a degree and people will throw sucess at their feet. It doesn't quite work like that.

22. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    if you say you won't , then you won't, you will probably bennefit from not catching the disease.

23. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    Hell, if I could only get a job that allowed me to save $1500/month :rolleyes:

24. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Yeah do the math . Most college kids go into the job market earning somewhere around $30-$35K a year so with taxes they hit maybe $28K . Now you take away around $9K for rent and $1K for gas and $1.5K for insur. and $3.5K for food and $4K for car payments and $2K for misc. and thats $21K leaving you with maybe $7-$10K. Now how much was that college payment ?? So I assume I missed something may , phone bill and internet service and heat/elect. and maybe water bill . You get the picture. So unless you get a super job and live at home and don't pay rent you won't be able to save anything until you start pulling in $50-$75K. This also assumes that you stay single and don't have any kids. Now if you want I know of a Fireo 308 for sale fo $10K . Good luck

25. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator