Why is F1 so afraid of engine manufacturers leaving | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why is F1 so afraid of engine manufacturers leaving

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jun 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Berkshire malts?
    ;)

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Berkshire Bitters! Brakspear (pronounced "Brakes Peer" in the Berkshire accent) Special. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Totally agree. The Matra engines had that top end scream that the Ferrari Flat 12 did not.... or as much. but the Ferrari V12's of 1990 - 1995 were some of the best sounding --- LOUD I've ever heard.

F-1 today is all about eating your own. that is what it's coming down to. Bernie needed the teams - so they signed up on the Concorde to 2020... so if they leave now - they have to pay an exit penalty... big $$$ so Mercedes is not going anywhere fast. Nor are any of the other teams. Bernie is being consumed by his own creation... ( selling to CVC and cutting out the FIA) FOM is left holding the money bag - literally ... so now you have all these Money hungry team's, Manufacturers, Bernie, CVC trying to divide up the Money... and they are all completely 100% Greedy and dont care about the others.

when teams could go out and buy a Cosworth, and Hewland Gearbox - they had 50% of the car figured out. the rest they made on their own OR - bought from March, Lola, sometimes Mclaren or Lotus... so from the 50's to the 90's to be a manufacturer in F-1 meant that you generally made a chassis and brought in an engine from somewhere else... why is that bad?

you could from time to time buy "customer Cars" from Lotus and McLaren... or March, Ensign, Shadow, Arrows, - usually the lower ranked teams... sold off last years car or made a duplicate a couple of iterations behind what the "works" team was using... That is how Frank Williams got to F-1.... selling used race cars & parts.

I dont get why its so bad to be able to buy a chassis or complete customer car? - If you could do that =then you can have your engineers focused on running it = improving it with your own technology - i think that should be the point. ... but I also think F-1 needs to encourage independant constructors to enter to keep the differentiation alive - a Spec F-1 is not somethign that attracts me at all. Even if they were all Ferrari F-1 cars...

However - NOTHING will change, turbos are here as well as PU's... cant put the genie back in the bottle... My prediction is that CVC will be the ultimate loosers here. they will probabbly have to sell off at a loss at some point close to 2020 when the concorde agreement comes back up ... and or Bernie dies. ( or both) I suspect the FIA will re enter as the true governing body and that may be sooner than later given all the speculation of the European Commission looking in to F-1 ala FIFA...

4. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The roads compare to the Highlands? The topography north of Ullapool is literally fantastic.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I remember the year that McLaren was using the Peugeot engines - at one race, I believe it was Silverstone, Martin Brundle's car was already smoking as he took his position on the grid. When the lights went out and he nailed the throttle, the engine blew, quite comprehensively!

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    And this is when the rules and regulations can be changed with less than a totality of FOM votes.

I suspect that the 2020 concorde agreement will be different.......for the reasons being discussed herein

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Pooh-Joe. :D

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Well, these smart alecks forced this hybrid nonsense engine to woo the manufacturers in. To deem the relevance of F1 and road, which, IMHO was, is and will never be relevant. We have Le Mans for that.

Now, it's so expensive, the engines sounds like crap, and Renault and Honda are a laughing stock in F1. Soon, i think it's only gonna be Ferrari and Mercedes left. Well done FIA.

9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 and looking forward to Le Man this weekend actually. Love that racing event!!

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

11. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Me too. How have you been my friend?

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Very good MC. Summer is here in Germany and its nice. Alot of racing events going on and lots of daylight :)

DC speaks about many issues related to this thread. He is stating the obvious but his experience is one worth listening to - BBC Sport - David Coulthard: Short-changed drivers not enjoying F1

13. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Losing long time or current fans is one thing, but if the best F1 hopes for is "keeping" what they have, they have totally missed the boat on building new fans, bringing in younger fans, increasing the number of fans/sponsors, etc.

This is in response to how many times the long term fans bemoan the sound of the current engine...OK, that's fine, but to the NEXT generation of fans, that complaint may not mean anything....so....what is F1 doing to bring in the new fans?

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    IMO the Lamborghini V12 was the best sounding of the 3.5 liter era; Matra was the best of the early 3 liter formula, you could hear its scream over the rest of the pack. At Watkins Glen whenever the Ligier would pass fans just shook their heads in blissful disbelief. Sound was a huge part of the F1 experience and it has been lost. Pity.

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I remember the Matra V-12 from when Chris Amon was driving with them and then again in 75 with Shadow and 76 with Ligier at Watkins Glen... and in Canada in 81 - 82 pity they never could really get it together in F-1. ( other than Matra Tyrrell )

16. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    No way this isn't going unnoticed. F1 must know this is a symptom of a huge issue. Years ago could you imagine Mclaren not having a major sponsor?

17. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    That's not the proposal on the table, though...

They are talking about supplying "franchise cars" that will be delivered to the racetrack by the constructor. The franchise teams will just take'em out of the box, run'em for the weekend, then put'em back in the box. No development...no personal touches...no chance to be innovative.

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I must not have got that memo... customer cars - to me meant you can buy an off the shelf Mercedes, Ferrari etc... and run it... do what you want with it- you would be getting a 2nd generation car. probabbly with limits on the PU tech,...

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Current F1 cars are so much a fully integrated system that I doubt that any customer could make substantive improvements. Perhaps some aero tweaking but even that would be limited by the car's architecture.

20. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Thanks for the link. You have a good day ahead my friend.

21. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    DF1 thanks for posting Coulthard. Well wriiten. Should be required reading.

22. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Well written but is there anyone who didn't know all that already?

23. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Cosworth engines again please. That was healthy competition against Ferrari :)

24. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Seems to me tires would be an easy fix.

25. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Funny you should mention that.... Nothing is ever "easy" in F1 - Latest interview with the perennial whipping boy;

Cheers,
    Ian
    Pirelli: Slower than expected 2015 F1 pace helping cause one-stops - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com