Why is the (pre T) California considered bad? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Why is the (pre T) California considered bad?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by OmbryAmbry, Apr 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cranky

cranky Karting

Aug 7, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Michael S
    I owned a Ferrari California, pre T, and it was a fantastic car! I had a 2013, and the 13/14 years were said to be better and more reliable than earlier years, but it was certainly a pre T and wonderful. As for looks, I personally think the pre T is beautiful. It looks much more like a modern version of an original early year California (hood scoop, side strakes). Look at a pic of the old California and you will instantly see the resemblance. The Cali T, while attractive, loses the retro, and has a bit of the Miata/Z4 styling that many cars have these days. Anyway, there is a special handling package and or a magneride option which improved handling on the pre Ts. Hard to find, but worth looking for. Service wise, pre 2013 Californias were said to have transmission and top issues - resolved by 2013.

Bradley C likes this.
  2. cranky

cranky Karting

Aug 7, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Michael S
    I guess everyone is welcome to their opinion. I can't think of 100 cars I'd rather buy. Ugly? GTR. Maybe even a 911. Maserati isn't even in the same class. This, my friend, isn't ugly:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc likes this.
  3. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Ugly is too strong of a word, I shouldn't have used it. GT-R and 911 aren't ugly to me and I think the GranTurismo looks better but as you said, everyone is welcome to their opinion.

4. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    I love my california. Rides great, sounds sweet and I think looks cool, but then I bought it for myself and to enjoy with my wife. So to each his own...

Bradley C likes this.
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Totally agree. It was so beautiful out the past two days, that I moved all my meetings to later in the day, and drove the Cali, 300 km in two days just for the heck of it. These are Ferrari. You can't go wrong with any year or model.
    T

6. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    So agree! DFW area has awesome roads. I wish I could drive there....

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The GranTurismo does arguably sport a more conventional aggressive and prettier front that IMO appeals to the uninformed used to muscle car looks but its overall design is very dated. If you know the Maserati brand you would also know many pundits in the auto industry have been pointing the lack of new designs from the brand for many years. The GranTurismo also features a rear end that resembles a boring Merc sedan- why is that good?

The Cali, OTOH, was completely new and features a more sophisticated exotic design that purposely echos the original 250 California GT as well as picks up on cues from cars like the 550/575/512m, 599 and even the F50. It's 10 inches shorter in wheelbase than the GranTurismo and benefits from that; and then there are the interiors where the GranTurismo scores a couple of rungs lower. The Cali also features a number of technological firsts for Ferrari cars, if not for the car market itself. There is no comparison.

8. f308gtsi

f308gtsi Rookie

Dec 23, 2007
    United States
    I wouldn’t kick any of these cars out of my garage - the Cali, 30, T or even the Granturismo. If you own any one of these cars, 99% of the world envies you and each one has it’s own flavor to be savored and each one was designed in its own historical context. That being said, I do think the rear end treatment of the Cali T is better than earlier editions even though the exhaust note is tempered by the turbos.

All that stuff is academic. I would take the experience of top down in any Cali on a clear sky, sunny day with temps in the mid 80’s, low humidity on a winding road and savor the moment. If you’ve driven the Cali and love it and can afford it, consider yourself lucky. Owning a Ferrari is about your individual experience - like enjoying a fine wine.

Bradley C, Fireman1291 and Randy R like this.
  9. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Actually, specifically reguarding the granturismo, these cars are getting quite affordable maintainance cost not included. If anything I think the California in any of its flavors are really a deal compared to all other Ferrari’s of the same generation. And the Maserati, well I sure feel for anyone that bought one new because the value sank so badly but it’s good for someone wanting entry into the exotic experience. They all look good to me. But just as many people don’t like them and I’m sure there is a car for them. But I don’t think any of them is bad but they all have issues like any other low production semi hand built car.

f308gtsi and Bradley C like this.