Why no Ferrari "European Delivery Program" ala BMW? | FerrariChat

Why no Ferrari "European Delivery Program" ala BMW?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PeterL, Jul 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterL

PeterL Karting

Nov 8, 2002
    St Petersburg, FL
    I see ads from time to time on PBS for the "BMW European Delivery Program....so you can enjoy your BMW on the roads for which it was intended..."

It's great that there are places in Maranello that will rent you a Ferrari now and I did that recently for an hour in the mountains around Maranello but there are so many better less crowded roads there, around Abetone, or south of Siena. It would be wonderful to have your own car to drive there.

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I personally know 2 people who have picked up their new F-car at Maranello.......

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No personal knowledge, but I have been told that FNA and its US dealership network takes a dim view of the idea; unless, of course, they get a bite of the apple.

Dale

4. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    #4 J. Salmon, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
    It would probably depend on the tax strategy.

I just did Euro delivery on my Audi S4. It was FANTASTIC. Killer back roads, Nurburgring, and maxed it on the autobahn (155 limiter, but that was enough for me!)

For BMW/Merc/Audi, the way the system works is that you buying the car and taking delivery in Europe means the company is not shipping out a new unsold car as an export product. They are just shipping your used car for you (everything is included as usual). So, in my case, Audi saved a big ol' chunk of tax, and that savings is passed on. I get the feeling that savings is not even 100% passed on, so they probably make out too. But at the end of the day, I got the same car I was going to buy here, and I got a free trip for my father and I to Germany for 5 days. I saved 5% off the purchase price of 56k.

Interesting that Porsche offers a program, but they don't discount the car at all.

Not sure if the tax laws are the same in Italy.

5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I was told by F of SF when it was a factory store that while the car came out of their allocation they were not paid a commission on it.

But since then I have lost faith in almost every thing they told me.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    BMW offers a discount, because they think they had to.
    Mercedes does not offer a discount (I think) because they don't have to.
    Porsche charges premium for it because they can.
    Ferrari ... you have to get on a waiting list to buy it so why would the dealer want to do more work?

7. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    A good friend is taking delivery of a new 650i at the factory in the next few weeks. He and his wife are going to drive it for a few weeks while in Europe.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    #8 donv, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
    I took delivery of my 612 at the factory. They don't have a particularly organized program, which has both it's difficulties and it's charms. For example, the person who handled my delivery at the factory (and spent most of the day with me) was the head of logistics for North America. I doubt you'd get someone like that handling your delivery at BMW...

They approve each delivery individually, and really can't handle more than 1 or 2 a day. So, if you want to take delivery in February, it's not a big deal. If you want to take delivery in July, much more difficult.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If you've driven in Italy any amount, driving a new Italia around in unfamiliar territory is probably not a good idea.

You're much better just having the car sent to the US dealer, rent a car in Europe and let Hertz worry about what happens to it.

10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I think you're missing the point. I drove my Ferrari for the first time in Italy earlier this year (33 years after it was born there) and it's a special feeling that can't be compared with the feeling you get from driving your familiar roads at home. Going back to the roots of your own Ferrari, or picking it up at its birth place, is something I can highly recommend.

Best, Peter

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #11 TheMayor, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

No, I'm not missing the point at all. American drivers have very little understanding of driving in Italy. You, however, have more experience.

Just parking a Ferrari there is a total pain. I drove my 308 all over the south of France to northern Italy. I'm not sure I can say it was always "fun".

It's special. I agree. It's also a big pain in the rump that probably isn't worth the risk.

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #12 DGS, Jul 15, 2011
    It may be a different tax situation.

I think US customs still treats the EU like separate nations, with different tariffs on each.
    (Last time I looked.)

Then, of course, there's the fall-out from the Great Banana Dispute (Clinton), the steel protection tariffs (W), etc.

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Nonsense. Especially in northern Italy. Maybe Rome and south, but stick to the north and it's great.

Sure, there are a few times when it's a pain, but those are far, far outweighed by the times it's fantastic.

And, there is nothing like picking your Ferrari up at the factory!

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    #14 donv, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Two questions: Did you have to go through your local dealer to order the car? If not, did you have any problem getting your local dealer to service the car?

Dale

16. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #16 Napolis, Jul 15, 2011
    I'd seriously suggest heading to Sicily. The roads are much less crowded and you can park on the street without problem. The sights are amazing, beaches great and the food is wonderful.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    And the couple friends of mine who went there, rented a car, drove it around, ran up to this slow moving vehicle and got stuck behind it at a light, when someone discreetly opened the rear passenger door, swiped their back packs with cameras, wallet, jewerly and passports. Ruined their honeymoon! Sicily is where they invented mafioso.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I've never had any problem what so ever there.

19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    #19 donv, Jul 15, 2011
    Yes, I went through my local dealer to order the car. Did I have to? Probably, but I like them anyway, and wouldn't want to go through anyone else. They did a great job of facilitating things, and once the order was in place they just handed me off to Ferrari SpA to arrange all the details.

My local dealer is possibly a bit different than many-- their sales and service departments are fairly disconnected. I'm pretty sure the service department would be happy to work on ANY Ferrari or Maserati, as long as the credit card is good.

20. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    That's because the P3/4 doesn't have back doors :)

Hope you're having a good summer!

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I bet the driving roads in Sicily are great

22. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Its definately possible, two friends of mine took factory delivery on the same day, though due to time constraints only the one GTO was ready, however they were taken to the quality assurance room and there was a small presentation of the other cars.

As DonV mentions its not something Ferrari does often, both of them said it wasnt the most organized but they were taken to lunch and given a full factory tour, including classiche and corsa clienti.

23. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Nice picture.

How do you transport your cars to Europe? Plane or boat (I'm assuming plane)? How long does it take? And where (which airport or port) do you pick up the car?

24. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #24 Ferrarista3, Jul 16, 2011
    +1

I don't see why anyone should have any particular issues driving in Northern Italy.

We took the 599 on a 2000km Tour of Sicily with 15 or so other Fcars. It was a lot of fun and a memorable experience but I would not do it again.

The conditions of many roads were simply terrible (some even came back with bent rims). Not to mention that Sicilians are extremely friendly, but can be quite scary when driving...

That being said, the scenery was fantastic, the food great and there is no question that Sicily is a very fascinating place.

P.S. Here are some other pictures of the Sicilian road trip if anyone is interested--> (http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139569063&postcount=1058 + http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139584454&postcount=1064)

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Plane.

A week door to door.

It can be delivered where ever you want it to be.