Why so many Spyders | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why so many Spyders

Discussion in '348/355' started by Jeff348, Aug 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aiden

Aiden Karting

Mar 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Aiden Naughton
    I've looked at a ton of cars in the past 8 months, and service records were there a fraction of the time. It seems most will need a major service which will be left up to the new owner. If you buy from a Ferrari dealer, they will usually tell the consignor that a major service is needed to sell the car. Sometimes there were recent service records, but not often.

I also was looking for a yellow, then red, but finally bought an Argento Nurburgring because it had all the options I was looking for, and had all service records dating back to the first 500 mile oil change, and the condition matched the mileage (11,500).

Most of the cars I looked at seemed to be hammered for the mileage shown on the odometer. Seat wear is a good indicator, although it can be died. The engine bay, hoses, rubber bushings etc tell me more about the car than the odometer. You should be able to buy a nice one for mid 60's. It seems the asking prices on them have fallen another $10,000 just in the past month. Good lick with your search!

2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    strongly agree!

3. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

#28 BLAMPEE, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    All records will always be better than none. However, if the last 30k was done by a reputable shop, then they may have addressed all the problems with that specific vehicle.

However, I would be leery of a car that had no records but just had a service done that was "only" the 30k. Because, and I see this on my own records that came with my car from Ferrari of Los gatos, lots of other minor issues were addressed at all the services performed. Someone who maybe wants to get rid of their 355 may pay for a "basic 30k," but leave many other issues unaddressed due to the cost.

Just my .02

Now.....about all these yellow 355s..... ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Bottom line: If you've ever owned aircraft your a natural fit for Ferrari ownership. The mantra is the same on both, replace parts before they fail. Because if you don't it will cost you a lot more later. Sometimes a life, and that can apply to a Ferrari just as much as a plane/helicopter...

Besides, owning a plane/helicopter or a Ferrari isn't cheap. Parts are expensive, and maintenance by the hour isn't cheap either.

But, there is no greater blast.

5. Jeff348

Jeff348 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    S.I.New York
    Full Name:
    jeff spezzano
    Well Now I feel I know a little more. So my search begins. Thanks for your responses.I'll let you guys know. I may be asking a few of you to maybe put some eyes on a car before I fly out or do a ppi. Thanks again.

6. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

You will always find someone on this site who will offer a look over a car not in your area. Also, you can always find a good PPI person, too. :)

Good luck in your search! Remember, one of the FIRST questions you should ask is: "Are there any service records with the car"!